Thread poster: Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:22
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Feb 28, 2017

Typically, I use Transit NXT with files stored on my network, in a location like W:\myfiles\transitstuff. I access the network drive with my notebook PC. This works fine and allows me to concentrate all my data in one place for backups, rather than having it scattered over several different devices.

I am wondering how I can work with Transit on my notebook PC when I'm out of the office. As I understand it, and indeed in my experience, Transit just doesn't allow you to open a project
... See more
Typically, I use Transit NXT with files stored on my network, in a location like W:\myfiles\transitstuff. I access the network drive with my notebook PC. This works fine and allows me to concentrate all my data in one place for backups, rather than having it scattered over several different devices.

I am wondering how I can work with Transit on my notebook PC when I'm out of the office. As I understand it, and indeed in my experience, Transit just doesn't allow you to open a project if it isn't in the project browser. (I guess there is a workaround, but I haven't found anything straightforward so far.)

What I need to be able to do is to make a copy of the project to the notebook PC drive, work on it there, then copy it back. How would I go about this using Transit NXT? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Dan
Collapse

Forward project? Mar 2, 2017

Hi Dan,

maybe the "forward project" function is a solution? Having forwarded to project, you can then unpack the forwarded project and select a local folder as working folder.
Then you should be able to work on the project offline. After finishing, you use the "pack translation" feature for your "local" project and unpack the translation into your original project when you have net access again.
The only challenge is that you may have the two projects -- the "normal" on
... See more
Hi Dan,

maybe the "forward project" function is a solution? Having forwarded to project, you can then unpack the forwarded project and select a local folder as working folder.
Then you should be able to work on the project offline. After finishing, you use the "pack translation" feature for your "local" project and unpack the translation into your original project when you have net access again.
The only challenge is that you may have the two projects -- the "normal" one on the network and the local one when you are offline.

Best regards,

O.N.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
A new one Mar 7, 2017

Oiseau noir wrote:
maybe the "forward project" function is a solution?

Oiseau, thank you for the suggestion. I was not aware that this function existed. I have fiddled with it but not very successfully so far. Still, I will take a closer look and see if I can bend it to my will.

Regards,
Dan

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 10:22
PRJ files Mar 7, 2017

How about searching for all PRJ files (e.g. with Total Commmander, Alt+F7, *.prj). Note the folder, copy the relevant .prj to the Desktop/USB stick.

On the laptop, copy the .prj to the correct folder.

c:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\config\global\11630-065_en_fr_zh_sv_nl.PRJ

The config file:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Transit NXT\bin\STARTE.INI

The relevant path for projects:

[PATHS]
CONFIG\GLOBAL=C:\Users\Pub
... See more
How about searching for all PRJ files (e.g. with Total Commmander, Alt+F7, *.prj). Note the folder, copy the relevant .prj to the Desktop/USB stick.

On the laptop, copy the .prj to the correct folder.

c:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\config\global\11630-065_en_fr_zh_sv_nl.PRJ

The config file:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Transit NXT\bin\STARTE.INI

The relevant path for projects:

[PATHS]
CONFIG\GLOBAL=C:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\config\global
CONFIG\SYS=C:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\config\sys
CONFIG\USERS=C:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\config\users
CONFIG\CUSTOMERS=C:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\config\customers
DB=C:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\db
---this one---PROJECTS=C:\Werk

Perhaps you want to make sure that the path is identical both on the desktop and the laptop computer.
Collapse

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:22
Member (2011)
French to English
Dan Mar 8, 2017

You don't say what version of Transit you have.
Forward only works with packages, i.e. projects packed and sent to you in .PPF format, NOT with projects you create yourself (the manual is very clear about this).
And the Pack function, which creates the .PPF file, is only enabled in Transit Professional, NOT in Transit Freelance Pro.
If you have the Freelance version, you have to do it manually, i.e. follow Cafetrans' advice, but it's a messy solution.

I use an ext
... See more
Forward only works with packages, i.e. projects packed and sent to you in .PPF format, NOT with projects you create yourself (the manual is very clear about this).
And the Pack function, which creates the .PPF file, is only enabled in Transit Professional, NOT in Transit Freelance Pro.
If you have the Freelance version, you have to do it manually, i.e. follow Cafetrans' advice, but it's a messy solution.

I use an external SSD 1 terabyte USB drive (E: in my case) for all my projects, so all the Transit NXT folders APART FROM \bin are on E: all the time.
That way I can access my projects on any computer on which Transit is installed (I have Transit Professional on 2 desktops in 2 different countries, and Transit Freelance Pro on my laptop). The key is to have a unique location for all one's data folders (config, projects, reference, etc.), which my setup ensures.
But this obviously has to be done when you (re)install Transit, i.e. when the installation program prompts you for a location.

Richard
Collapse

Pack projects for yourself? Mar 9, 2017

wotswot wrote:

Good point. That brings me to the next idea: If *you* create the projects, maybe you can be the projects for yourself?

Best regards,

O.N.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Freelance Pro Mar 9, 2017

wotswot wrote:

Thank you Hans, Richard and ON for your suggestions.

I am running Transit NXT Freelance Pro v4.0 SP9. I do not create the projects, they are sent by the client and I just unpack them and then repack them later, so in theory I should be able to forward them. I have run into problems with dictionaries supplied by the client; still attempting to clear that up.

My situation appears to be the inverse of Richard, in that only have one PC, but the files ooccasionally need to be in two places depending on the situation. Normally my files are on a network server but occasionally they need to be on my notebook PC and it is Transit's apparent inflexibility when it comes to project location that is causing the issue.

I still think the forwarding idea is the most likely to work so I will continue to experiment with that.

Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copying projects to notebook PC for travel

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »