Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is it possible to export a Transit TM as .tmx for import in Trados Studio?
Thread poster: Susanne Rosenberg
Susanne Rosenberg
Susanne Rosenberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:28
Member (2002)
Danish to German
+ ...
Nov 4, 2016

First of all, I apologize if this issue has been dealt with before - I searched the forum but was not able to find an answer.

A new direct customer of mine is using Transit Nxt Professional Version 4.4 SP 9 (Build 1631.6). They would like me to work with their existing TM, but since I do not use Transit we need to find out how to export their TM in a format that I can import into my TM in Trados Studio. They have managed to create a .tmx file which does have a lot of content (I have
... See more
First of all, I apologize if this issue has been dealt with before - I searched the forum but was not able to find an answer.

A new direct customer of mine is using Transit Nxt Professional Version 4.4 SP 9 (Build 1631.6). They would like me to work with their existing TM, but since I do not use Transit we need to find out how to export their TM in a format that I can import into my TM in Trados Studio. They have managed to create a .tmx file which does have a lot of content (I have tried to open it with Notepad+), but when trying to import it in Studio the import result is 0.

It seems quite unlikely that there is no way to solve this problem, but unfortunately my customer only knows the basics and I do not know Transit at all. Does anybody know how export a TM (step by step, please) or how to prepare the .tmx file (if this has already been correctly exported) for import in Studio?

Thank you very much in advance!
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:28
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I only guess Nov 4, 2016

Probably you need to change a line or two at the beginning of the tmx-file. I would try to choose a TM of the same language pair in Studio, export it to tmx and open it in Notepad. Then you compare the first part of the file to the one from Transit. You could copy the first lines from the Studio tmx into the Transit tmx and try to load it into Studio.
Hope it works.

TMX export description Nov 4, 2016

Hi Susanne,

you can find a detailed description on the TMX export from Transit in the "Transit / TermStar – Referenzhandbuch".
You can download it (German and English) from the STAR Website:
https://www.star-group.net/de/downloads/transit-termstar-nxt/benutzerdokumentation.html

According to the description, ma
... See more
Hi Susanne,

you can find a detailed description on the TMX export from Transit in the "Transit / TermStar – Referenzhandbuch".
https://www.star-group.net/de/downloads/transit-termstar-nxt/benutzerdokumentation.html

According to the description, maybe it's just the wrong coding (UTF8 vs. UTF16).

Regards,

O.N.
Collapse

Susanne Rosenberg
Germany
Member (2002)
Danish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot, but it still doesn't work ... Nov 4, 2016

The first lines of my own tmx file are:

[?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?]
[tmx version="1.4"]
(followed by [header creationtool="SDL Language Platform" creationtoolversion="8.0" etc.)

The first lines of the customer's tmx file are:

[?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?]
[!DOCTYPE tmx SYSTEM "tmx14.dtd"]
[!-- Transit TMX document --]
[tmx version="1.4"]
(followed by [header
... See more
The first lines of my own tmx file are:

[?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?]
[tmx version="1.4"]
(followed by [header creationtool="SDL Language Platform" creationtoolversion="8.0" etc.)

The first lines of the customer's tmx file are:

[?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?]
[!DOCTYPE tmx SYSTEM "tmx14.dtd"]
[!-- Transit TMX document --]
[tmx version="1.4"]
(followed by [header
creationtool="Transit NXT"
creationtoolversion="4.0" etc.)

When replacing the first four lines with my first two lines, the import result is still 0. What am I doing wrong?

Edited: Code brackets replaced by [ and ]

[Edited at 2016-11-04 09:21 GMT]
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Xbench Nov 4, 2016

Perhaps with Xbench?

More ideas... Nov 4, 2016

I just wonder if anything is wrong with the TMX as Transit's TMX export is usually no "rocket science"...
Some more ideas you may check:
- Can you find/identify and "real" content in the TMX? E.g. some segments with source and target language?
- Does the TMX contain the language(s) that you need/require in SDL?

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
My pennyworth Nov 4, 2016

I've had problems in the past importing TMX files into SDL Trados Studio (2011, 2015).
After much searching, I found out that Transit exports empty source/target segments, which apparently Studio doesn't like.
Empty target segments are quite common and often necessary to respect English word order (e.g. phrases in InDesign/Powerpoint split across several segments due to (IMHO) unnecessary line breaks in textboxes).
STAR told me there's no way to exclude them in Transit.
... See more
I've had problems in the past importing TMX files into SDL Trados Studio (2011, 2015).
After much searching, I found out that Transit exports empty source/target segments, which apparently Studio doesn't like.
Empty target segments are quite common and often necessary to respect English word order (e.g. phrases in InDesign/Powerpoint split across several segments due to (IMHO) unnecessary line breaks in textboxes).
STAR told me there's no way to exclude them in Transit.
They recommended Olifant (open-source >TMX editor).
Another "home-made" solution would be to write a routine that simply deletes segments with empty source and/or target.
I'm working on this (a VB6 standalone executable), but it's very much "work in progress".
Collapse

Susanne Rosenberg
Germany
Member (2002)
Danish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Oiseau, Nov 4, 2016

Oiseau noir wrote:
According to the description, maybe it's just the wrong coding (UTF8 vs. UTF16).

Actually, I found a similar reference a couple of days ago, but according to my customer they would need an "extra licence" (an add-on, I suppose) in order to have access to the TM container. Do you know if this can actually be the case? To me it seems absurd that a system would not allow you to export your TMs, but then again I do not know Transit.

Apart from that, it seems that the customer used UTF8, which is the format that is also used when I export a TM from Studio, so this seems to be right ...

Susanne Rosenberg
Germany
Member (2002)
Danish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How? Nov 4, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote: Perhaps with Xbench?

Thanks a lot, CafeTran Training. I am not familiar with the functions of Xbench, so how would this work? What exactly would the customer and/or I have to do?

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Not an encoding problem Nov 4, 2016

I really don't think it's an encoding problem, as Transit gives you the choice (UTF-8 or UTF-16, the former is selected by default).
As I said below, it's more likely to be TUs that have an empty source or target segment.

Susanne Rosenberg
Germany
Member (2002)
Danish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, wotswot Nov 4, 2016

Apart from your home-made solution which is still in progress, did you find a solution using Olifant (open-source >TMX editor)? And if so, what precisely did you do?

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Not Olifant Nov 4, 2016

I didn't bother installing Olifant. I did it the hard way, i.e. going through the TMX in my text editor and manually removing any offending TUs,
i.e. TUs with either empty source or empty target segment (... ), using a regular expression (which my text editor EditPad Pro allows me to do).
You could try doing it in Word, using Advanced Find, wildcards and highlighting all such occurrences.
It all depends on how many there are, if any (because that hypothesis still needs to be co
... See more
I didn't bother installing Olifant. I did it the hard way, i.e. going through the TMX in my text editor and manually removing any offending TUs,
i.e. TUs with either empty source or empty target segment (... ), using a regular expression (which my text editor EditPad Pro allows me to do).
You could try doing it in Word, using Advanced Find, wildcards and highlighting all such occurrences.
It all depends on how many there are, if any (because that hypothesis still needs to be confirmed, have you checked for any such TUs, in Notepad for instance?)
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Only old Transit format supported? Nov 4, 2016

Susanne Rosenberg wrote:

CafeTran Training wrote: Perhaps with Xbench?

Thanks a lot, CafeTran Training. I am not familiar with the functions of Xbench, so how would this work? What exactly would the customer and/or I have to do?

I only have the freeware version of Xbench and see that it only supports the old Transit XV*). Not sure about the paid version of Xbench.

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 16.36.42

*) In Transit NXT you can save as Transit XV:

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 17.05.18

[Edited at 2016-11-04 16:07 GMT]

Susanne Rosenberg
Germany
Member (2002)
Danish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still some doubts ... Nov 4, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:
I only have the freeware version of Xbench and see that it only supports the old Transit XV. Not sure about the paid version of Xbench.

If I understand this correctly, you Xbench for the translation instead of Trados Studio?

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Export from Xbench to a format that Studio can import Nov 4, 2016

Susanne Rosenberg wrote:

CafeTran Training wrote:
I only have the freeware version of Xbench and see that it only supports the old Transit XV. Not sure about the paid version of Xbench.

If I understand this correctly, you Xbench for the translation instead of Trados Studio?

Note that you'd need the language pair files. All this being a work-around.

In Xbench you create a new project and load the XV files.
Then you export them:

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 17.19.42

The header looks like this:

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 17.21.08

I've not tested the import in Studio.

BTW: Did you check the language and country codes of the TMX file created by Transit? Are they what Studio expects?

[Edited at 2016-11-04 16:40 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to export a Transit TM as .tmx for import in Trados Studio?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »