HELP ! - Just lost 6000 words + translation after Transit update !
Thread poster: Yuna Guillamot
Yuna Guillamot
Yuna Guillamot  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:19
Member (2020)
German to French
+ ...
Aug 20, 2015

Hello,

Transit updated between last night and this morning, and I lost the translation files with 6000+ translated words, due today, of course.

Does anyone please have any idea if there is any way to get this data back ?

Thank you

Yuna

More details please Aug 20, 2015

Hi Yuna,

your description is quite indifferent, therefore please provide us with more information to give us a chance to help you.

- What kind of update?
- What Transit variant (Freelance, Pro,...)?
- What do you mean with "lost"? Projekt vanished, language pair cannot be opened, language pair can be opend is untranslated?
- What did you do before starting the update (saved and closed langpar, saved and closed project, closed Transit)?

Bes
... See more
Hi Yuna,

your description is quite indifferent, therefore please provide us with more information to give us a chance to help you.

- What kind of update?
- What Transit variant (Freelance, Pro,...)?
- What do you mean with "lost"? Projekt vanished, language pair cannot be opened, language pair can be opend is untranslated?
- What did you do before starting the update (saved and closed langpar, saved and closed project, closed Transit)?

Best regards,

O.N.
Collapse

ChananZass
ChananZass
Italy
Local time: 23:19
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Would like to help but would need clearer description of what happened. Aug 20, 2015

Are these Microsoft Word files, SDL Trados files?

Yuna Guillamot
Türkiye
Member (2020)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Details Aug 20, 2015

Hello,

I work on Transit NXT Freelance, and I saved the language pairs and closed the program last night.
When I started it again this morning, Transit seemed updated (GUI slightly different, all personal settings gone).
When I tried to open the last project, the folder didn't contain any dictionaries or language paird anymore, it was just a blank project.
I have now imported the ppf again and am translating everything again. Nice client gave me an extra 18hrs to f
... See more
Hello,

I work on Transit NXT Freelance, and I saved the language pairs and closed the program last night.
When I started it again this morning, Transit seemed updated (GUI slightly different, all personal settings gone).
When I tried to open the last project, the folder didn't contain any dictionaries or language paird anymore, it was just a blank project.
I have now imported the ppf again and am translating everything again. Nice client gave me an extra 18hrs to finish.

I still wonder though, how this happened, so that I might prevent it from happening again ?

Thanks for your readiness to help !

Yuna
Collapse

ChananZass
ChananZass
Italy
Local time: 23:19
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sorry, never heard of Transit before Aug 20, 2015

I'd suggest calling or emailing for Transit support.
Quite sure the files are still there somewhere.

Transit does not update secretly Aug 20, 2015

Hi Yuna,

you wrote "Transit seemed updated".
Do you assume that Transit udpates automatically?

Definitely not. To update Transit, you have to
- download the update file from the website
- start the downloaded file
- confirm several messages during the update.

If you *not* did all these steps: Whatever happened to your PC, it was NO update of Transit.

Did you restart your PC / your window today morning? Or had to login t
... See more
Hi Yuna,

you wrote "Transit seemed updated".
Do you assume that Transit udpates automatically?

Definitely not. To update Transit, you have to
- download the update file from the website
- start the downloaded file
- confirm several messages during the update.

If you *not* did all these steps: Whatever happened to your PC, it was NO update of Transit.

Did you restart your PC / your window today morning? Or had to login to Windows again?

My first guess:
Maybe you PC has several Windows user. And maybe you used a different user today. If so, maybe some Transit settings were saved Windows-user-specific and therefore seem to be gone when using the wrong user.

If not:
You say "GUI slightly different". What do you mean by that? What is "slightly different"?
You say you opened the project, then the *folder" didn't contain any dics or lang pairs? Which folder?
You say you imported the ppf again. Did you really mean import or unpack?

Best regards,

O.N.
Collapse

Yuna Guillamot
Türkiye
Member (2020)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody Aug 20, 2015

After spending nearly 2 hrs on the phone with the lovely lady from Star support, here's what probably happened :

Transit crashed without my noticing when I was closing it, effectively damaging the language pair file

Transit support managed to restore abt. 75% of translated text from the broken file, and were really nice about it

Generally, Transit gives crash notices, this time I didn't see any, so I assumed everything was OK

The change in th G
... See more
After spending nearly 2 hrs on the phone with the lovely lady from Star support, here's what probably happened :

Transit crashed without my noticing when I was closing it, effectively damaging the language pair file

Transit support managed to restore abt. 75% of translated text from the broken file, and were really nice about it

Generally, Transit gives crash notices, this time I didn't see any, so I assumed everything was OK

The change in th GUI is apparently also due to the crash, but I can't seem to gert it back to my previous settings and that's annoying (I'm a new NXT user, and get really annoyed at popups and such)

Thanks for your support everybody, and have a nice evening !
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP ! - Just lost 6000 words + translation after Transit update !

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »