Pagine:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23] >
Netflix Hermes test
Iniziatore argomento: Magdalena Adamus

Elena Pizzetti  Identity Verified
Italia
Local time: 11:49
Da Inglese a Italiano
internet speed Apr 9

Gianni Pastore wrote:

...but what do you think of the system requirements for the test? I registered and all only to discover that I couldn't start the test because my OS is Win7 (Win 8+ required) and I have an internet speed slower than 20Mb/sec. How disappointing!


I don't believe the internet speed is a real requirement - I have a 10MB/sec connection and everything worked just fine. I believe those are the suggested requirements to make sure everything goes smooth (and to make sure you will have a proper connection to work on future projects, if you pass). If you have a lower - but fast - connection, I believe you may take the test without any problem, maybe you will encounter a couple seconds of buffering in the sections including video streaming.
Regarding the OS, I read on other groups that users with Windows 7 had some issues, maybe you should make sure this will not be a problem. I can't help here because I'm a Mac user, sorry.

[Edited at 2017-04-09 08:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-09 08:56 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italia
Local time: 11:49
Membro (2007)
Da Inglese a Italiano
Thanks Elena but... Apr 9

Elena Pizzetti wrote:

Gianni Pastore wrote:

...but what do you think of the system requirements for the test? I registered and all only to discover that I couldn't start the test because my OS is Win7 (Win 8+ required) and I have an internet speed slower than 20Mb/sec. How disappointing!


I don't believe the internet speed is a real requirement - I have a 10MB/sec connection and everything worked just fine. I believe those are the suggested requirements to make sure everything goes smooth (and to make sure you will have a proper connection to work on future projects, if you pass). If you have a lower - but fast - connection, I believe you may take the test without any problem, maybe you will encounter a couple seconds of buffering in the sections including video streaming.
Regarding the OS, I read on other groups that users with Windows 7 had some issues, maybe you should make sure this will not be a problem. I can't help here because I'm a Mac user, sorry.

[Edited at 2017-04-09 08:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-09 08:56 GMT]


...unfortunately I keep getting a Bad Gateway error that prevents me from going any further than the login page. I have a decent internet speed (well, for italian standards, about 6-7 Mb/sec) so I assumed that was the issue. Sent an email to the guys but no reply yet. Too bad!

[Edited at 2017-04-09 09:17 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Franjo Varšić
Croazia
trouble with football Apr 9

Andrejs Gorbunovs wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:

How are you gonna research the text in 10 minutes?

I don't know, but I'd bet my left foot that no Eastern European language has any words that correspond to football terminology. The translator is forced to make stuff up in 10 minutes, which in no way replicates how things would be done normally.



[Edited at 2017-04-08 14:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-08 15:49 GMT]


Well, you have much more time than 10 minutes for subtitling test (10 minutes is for multiple choice).

Besides, if you are unable to do something, have you thought about the fact that you should not do it?
Maybe translating Netflix is not for you?

I see that people with experience in subtitling have a mostly positive opinion of the test, while you try to fish for information on what the test might have instead of just taking it.

The fault is with you this time, not with Netflix or American Football.


Is that right? I'm curious how you translated first down and fullback into Latvian.

Elena Pizzetti wrote:

I took the test last Monday. The result should appear on everyone's dashboard, I know some translators are already seeing their results in percentage (80%).

Andrejs, I see your point, but the competition you talk about, in this case, is also between people who got the football video and people who don't, and they all have the same amount of time. Your position would make more sense if everyone had the same exact test. I didn't get the football video and feel I was very lucky not to. It's not about being a better or worse translator, technical content requires more research, and therefore more time, than non-technical content. We all want to make the best in this test, finding the best way to translate each sentence and adapt the tone of the dialogues, proofread and make every detail perfect to prove our talent, and the time given is just ok for the videos I got (actually, I wasn't able to proofread the first one because the time was up), but if you also have to research several technical terms and rules of a sport you have never watched, you need more time, and you don't have that much time in this test, while in a normal paid task you would take your time to do your accurate researches.
Of course there were also some difficult parts in the videos I got (I believe they were from "The Characters" and "Chelsea Does"), including a couple of puns and two American advertising characters that needed to be adapted in a funny way in the target language, but I believe the football video would require even the most experienced translator more time to research the terms, and therefore leave less time to make every other detail perfect.
If they want to offer different tests, then it would be fair if a little more time was given. Then it would be true that only the skills in translation and research would make the difference, because no matter the subject, everyone would be able to work on the translation as they would on an actual job, without being so rushed and having to give up on refining other details that are instead pretty much all the applicants who get the other videos have to focus on.

I also found, like someone already wrote, that in the first sections of the test there were often two answers that were both correct, one was maybe more literal than the other, or longer than the other, and it was not always easy to spot the "correct" one. This problem was also evident in Sfera's test, but I guess a couple wrong answers in these sections will happen to everyone and will not influence too much the final result.

The technical issues were terrible, the day I had planned to take the test the login form didn't work because the digits in the user's ID were more than those they had built the form for. For some days one section of the test didn't work for most users. I still don't know if the second part of my test was actually submitted, because the "submit" button didn't work and when the time was up an error appeared. I see it as "completed" on my dashboard, but I don't know if the answers got through. I sent an e-mail to the support team 5 days ago and still haven't received any answer. I suppose they got way more tests than they were prepared for, due to the crazy amount of articles about this test that are being shared everywhere.

Regarding the individual vs. vendor profile: I collaborate with two agencies, but I took the test as an individual. I would like to see if something comes up from Netflix and then I hope we can just give our H number to the agency or update our Hermes profile in the future. If the rates the article talk about are true, it's crazy to think that professional translators who already work with agencies will continue to work for the old, low rates, while potential users totally new to the market can take the test as individuals earning x3. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens (hoping Netflix will release a statement clarifying some of these points).

Good luck to everyone!

[Edited at 2017-04-09 08:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-09 08:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-09 08:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-09 08:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-09 08:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-09 08:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-09 08:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-09 08:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-09 08:59 GMT]


Thanks for the report!

And you're exactly right on the football thing. Puns are one thing, if you're creative enough you can often find a solution, terminology that doesn't exist in the target language, from a sport that doesn't exist in the target language is another matter.

What are these football terms that appear in the video that are giving everyone trouble?

[Edited at 2017-04-09 09:37 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brasile
Local time: 06:49
Da Inglese a Portoghese
+ ...
Windows XP works all right Apr 9

Gianni Pastore wrote:

...but what do you think of the system requirements for the test? I registered and all only to discover that I couldn't start the test because my OS is Win7 (Win 8+ required) and I have an internet speed slower than 20Mb/sec. How disappointing!


This time I'll refrain from making comments on Microsoft's acquired inability to develop one decent OS since the Windows Vista flop.

The fact is that I use Windows XP most of the time. It is extremely stable, reliable, and fast!
Nevertheless, I can select at boot time to load Windows 10 from a SSD, in order to run some apps that were deliberately crafted with the intent of burying Windows XP.

Not the case with Netflix-Hermes. Everything ran smoothly under Windows XP.

The browser could be an issue. Instead of using my favorite SeaMonkey (the current version of Netscape - if any reader is old enough to know it), I used Google Chrome, which displays a message that it is no longer compatible with Windows XP, not true!

High-speed Internet connection IS A MUST, indeed, for anyone intending to work professionally with video.
If it takes you DAYS do download one feature film, you simply can't do it!
A piano-moving company will not be able to operate using bicycles.

The minimum of 20 MBPS is not overrated. They should know the speed their servers deliver.
My connection is 60 MBPS. My computer is cable-connected to it, together with a WiFi router that serves about a dozen devices in the house. This means that I get half, i.e. 30 MBPS alone.

I have noticed that some cloud servers are extremely slow. Dropbox, for instance, downloads at 250~500 KBPS, and will never go faster than that. In spite of paid subscriptions, they ration bandwidth to serve all those million users up/downloading at the same time.

If the server delivering this test reaches 20 MBPS, so much the better, the video won't be jittery.
One may endure watching jittery video now and then, but it's impossible to work efficiently with that all the time.

In a nutshell, they are looking for professionals who will be able to consistently provide them with translation for subtitling services, and not merely people who will have fun watching their videos for free.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Franjo Varšić
Croazia
Phase 4 Apr 9

In the fourth part, do you need to time the subtitles as well, or just type them in?

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Flaviosilveira
Brasile
system requirements Apr 9

Gianni Pastore wrote:

...but what do you think of the system requirements for the test? I registered and all only to discover that I couldn't start the test because my OS is Win7 (Win 8+ required) and I have an internet speed slower than 20Mb/sec. How disappointing!


I took the test with a simple Acer C720 Chromebook (Chrome OS, 2 MB RAM) an 15 MB/sec internet. And it worked perfectly!

[Edited at 2017-04-10 01:07 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Roel Verschueren  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 11:49
Membro (2007)
Da Inglese a Olandese
+ ...
Fourth part Apr 9

Franjo Varšić wrote:

In the fourth part, do you need to time the subtitles as well, or just type them in?


No, just the translation.
In the 5th part, the platform tells you when your translation exceeds the allowed time, so you get the chance to shorten or change the subtitle.
No stress!!!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Anna Norman  Identity Verified
Svezia
Local time: 11:49
Membro (Mar 2017)
Da Inglese a Svedese
You can always research on Wikipedia. Apr 9


What are these football terms that appear in the video that are giving everyone trouble?



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_football_terminology


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andrejs Gorbunovs  Identity Verified
Lettonia
Local time: 12:49
Membro (2013)
Da Inglese a Lettone
+ ...
Franjo lost your bet :) Apr 9

Franjo Varšić wrote:

Is that right? I'm curious how you translated first down and fullback into Latvian.



Well, I guess if the Latvian language has Wikipedia page with extensive description of player positions in American football (https://lv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerikāņu_futbols#Sp.C4.93l.C4.93t.C4.81ju_poz.C4.ABcijas) (see paragraph 2: Spēlētāju pozīcijas)), the search and term creation took me around 30 seconds.

So, your point is moot, since Latvian is one of the smalles European languages (~2 million speakers around the world), the larger languages should have even more information.

Again, it's not Netflix, it's just you and your inability to do research, so, say good bye to your left foot as you said earlier, because you lost your bet


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Roel Verschueren  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 11:49
Membro (2007)
Da Inglese a Olandese
+ ...
Better not participate I guess Apr 9

Franjo Varšić wrote:

In the fourth part, do you need to time the subtitles as well, or just type them in?


Franjo,
I don't understand why you are so afraid of this all?
I see you are a basic member and joined Proz.com this year in January.
Or you are really a beginner to translation and have nothing to add to your profile, or you are registered at the wrong platform.
If you are a real translator, with some kind of experience, just jump in the bath and start translating. Else, I am afraid this is nothing for you.

Wish you all the best, whatever you decide.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech_
Polonia
Local time: 11:49
Da Inglese a Polacco
+ ...
Seconded Apr 9

Roel Verschueren wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:

In the fourth part, do you need to time the subtitles as well, or just type them in?


Franjo,
I don't understand why you are so afraid of this all?
I see you are a basic member and joined Proz.com this year in January.
Or you are really a beginner to translation and have nothing to add to your profile, or you are registered at the wrong platform.
If you are a real translator, with some kind of experience, just jump in the bath and start translating. Else, I am afraid this is nothing for you.

Wish you all the best, whatever you decide.


My thoughts exactly.

[Edited at 2017-04-09 19:38 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Franjo Varšić
Croazia
. Apr 9

Andrejs Gorbunovs wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:

Is that right? I'm curious how you translated first down and fullback into Latvian.



Well, I guess if the Latvian language has Wikipedia page with extensive description of player positions in American football (https://lv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerikāņu_futbols#Sp.C4.93l.C4.93t.C4.81ju_poz.C4.ABcijas) (see paragraph 2: Spēlētāju pozīcijas)), the search and term creation took me around 30 seconds.

So, your point is moot, since Latvian is one of the smalles European languages (~2 million speakers around the world), the larger languages should have even more information.

Again, it's not Netflix, it's just you and your inability to do research, so, say good bye to your left foot as you said earlier, because you lost your bet


Who knew!

Roel Verschueren wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:

In the fourth part, do you need to time the subtitles as well, or just type them in?


Franjo,
I don't understand why you are so afraid of this all?
I see you are a basic member and joined Proz.com this year in January.
Or you are really a beginner to translation and have nothing to add to your profile, or you are registered at the wrong platform.
If you are a real translator, with some kind of experience, just jump in the bath and start translating. Else, I am afraid this is nothing for you.

Wish you all the best, whatever you decide.


Not afraid, it's a great opportunity and want to maximize my chances by getting as much info as possible.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 12:49
Da Estone a Inglese
+ ...
football Apr 9

Anyone who has done subtitling work before has encountered American football terms dozens or hundreds of times. This portion of the test simply allows to find out if the translator has done subtitling work before (if yes, there is a 100% chance of translating American football terms). Unfortunately "this dang thing is not popular here, so we can't translate this portion of the dialogue" is not a valid translation for the roughly 60% of American movies and TV series that include football terminology. Somehow those thousands of films have been translated into every European language for decades and will get translated for the following decades, so if a translator gives up immediately, it is a good sign that subtitling translation is not the right choice for him/her.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sara Baroni
Local time: 10:49
Da Inglese a Italiano
+ ...
Awaiting results Apr 10

Hi guys,

I took the test over two weeks ago.

Overall, I found the test interesting and fun, despite the fact that some of the multiple choice answers were a bit weird. The part I found hardest was spotting the "mistake" in short subtitled clips. I actually really enjoyed subtitling the two longer clips at the end. I got one sequence from a documentary on Hillary and Bill Clinton, and another one from an Ashton Kutcher sitcom, The Ranch.

10 working days have passed and I still don't have a test result. It woud be great to know from others who have had their results, how long was it after you finished the test?

Thanks!

Sara


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech_
Polonia
Local time: 11:49
Da Inglese a Polacco
+ ...
Don't understand Apr 10

Franjo Varšić wrote:

Andrejs Gorbunovs wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:

Is that right? I'm curious how you translated first down and fullback into Latvian.



Well, I guess if the Latvian language has Wikipedia page with extensive description of player positions in American football (https://lv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerikāņu_futbols#Sp.C4.93l.C4.93t.C4.81ju_poz.C4.ABcijas) (see paragraph 2: Spēlētāju pozīcijas)), the search and term creation took me around 30 seconds.

So, your point is moot, since Latvian is one of the smalles European languages (~2 million speakers around the world), the larger languages should have even more information.

Again, it's not Netflix, it's just you and your inability to do research, so, say good bye to your left foot as you said earlier, because you lost your bet


Who knew!

Roel Verschueren wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:

In the fourth part, do you need to time the subtitles as well, or just type them in?


Franjo,
I don't understand why you are so afraid of this all?
I see you are a basic member and joined Proz.com this year in January.
Or you are really a beginner to translation and have nothing to add to your profile, or you are registered at the wrong platform.
If you are a real translator, with some kind of experience, just jump in the bath and start translating. Else, I am afraid this is nothing for you.

Wish you all the best, whatever you decide.


Not afraid, it's a great opportunity and want to maximize my chances by getting as much info as possible.



Why would anyone provide you with the info on what words you might expect in the test? Everyone's chances should be equal, thus doing so, we would harm other candidates in your language pair, who don't read this forum. What you are doing is a simple fishing for info to get you in a more privileged position than others.
I'm sorry, but this is very unprofessional.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pagine:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix Hermes test

Advanced search







LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Cerca un termine
  • Lavori
  • Forum
  • Multiple search