Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Locked threads disappear from the "Recent Translation forum posts" page
Thread poster: Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Apr 17, 2019

I'd like to report that locking a thread seems to hide/remove it from the "Recent Translation forum posts" page (which I suspect is the most frequently used view), although it is still accessible when browsing the actual forum category or direct url.

If this is not intentional, can locked threads still remain on display in the Recent posts page?

This is the page from whic
... See more
I'd like to report that locking a thread seems to hide/remove it from the "Recent Translation forum posts" page (which I suspect is the most frequently used view), although it is still accessible when browsing the actual forum category or direct url.

If this is not intentional, can locked threads still remain on display in the Recent posts page?

This is the page from which locked threads seem to disappear: https://www.proz.com/forum/categories/recent-recent.html
Collapse

Katalin Szilárd

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:11
English to Italian
Intentional Apr 17, 2019

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

This is the page from which locked threads seem to disappear: https://www.proz.com/forum/categories/recent-recent.html

In my opinion it is intentional, and in fact in the past I've seen it happen lots of times, even if the thread was not locked... It seems that when a thread becomes "inconvenient" or has the potential to reflect bad on proz (according to someone in the site staff), sometimes it just suddenly "disappears" from the "Most recent posts" section...

As I wrote in another post, this looks like a handy way to sweep "bad stuff" under the carpet. Not all-out censorship, since the thread is still there, technically speaking, but basically it is hidden from view, since, as you were saying yourself, that view is probably one of the most used (I do use it myself).

BTW, I've been waiting for almost thee years for a reply to this very same question: https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/304034-tm_town_link_at_top_of_proz_kudoz_based_ranking_searches-page11.html#2575427

Katalin Szilárd
ahartje
Helen Shiner
Michele Fauble
Andy Watkinson

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 12:11
SITE STAFF
That is intentional Apr 17, 2019

Hi Jean,

I believe that is intentional. Locked threads tend to be those where participants were unable to keep things in line with site rules. They also tend to be the least helpful.

Since the main purpose of the forums is for requesting and providing help, some threads, like the locked threads-- of which there are not many-- are removed from a featured status on the recent posts and home page. Staff may also remove threads from being featured, manually, at their discr
... See more
Hi Jean,

I believe that is intentional. Locked threads tend to be those where participants were unable to keep things in line with site rules. They also tend to be the least helpful.

Since the main purpose of the forums is for requesting and providing help, some threads, like the locked threads-- of which there are not many-- are removed from a featured status on the recent posts and home page. Staff may also remove threads from being featured, manually, at their discretion.

There is an FAQ about that here: https://www.proz.com/faq/3094#3094

Jared
Collapse

Andrew Morris

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Wow Apr 17, 2019

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

In my opinion it is intentional, and in fact in the past I've seen it happen lots of times, even if the thread was not locked... It seems that when a thread becomes "inconvenient" or has the potential to reflect bad on proz (according to someone in the site staff), sometimes it just suddenly "disappears" from the "Most recent posts" section...

As I wrote in another post, this looks like a handy way to sweep "bad stuff" under the carpet. Not all-out censorship, since the thread is still there, technically speaking, but basically it is hidden from view, since, as you were saying yourself, that view is probably one of the most used (I do use it myself).

BTW, I've been waiting for almost thee years for a reply to this very same question: https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/304034-tm_town_link_at_top_of_proz_kudoz_based_ranking_searches-page11.html#2575427

3 years is a long time.
And how many of us could have experienced this?
Many of them are not on the site any more.

I also experienced this a couple of times when I asked questions that were "inconvenient", then my posts were hidden, then the thread disappeared from recent threads.

Mirko Mainardi

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 17, 2019

Hi Jared,

Thank you for your answer and for confirming this.

I see it is also written in black and white in the FAQ, so this explanation locks it for me.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:11
French to English
Just a thought Apr 17, 2019

Why would you be a member of a site that you don't trust?

Edited to add: I'm here because I DO trust the site.

[Edited at 2019-04-17 20:38 GMT]

Andrew Morris

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Apr 17, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I am just pondering why I should be a paying member of a site that doesn't trust me to make my own decisions regarding which user-generated content I see or don't see.

Mirko Mainardi
ahartje
Helen Shiner
writeaway
Yvonne Gallagher

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Actually no... Apr 17, 2019

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Hi Jared,

Thank you for your answer and for confirming this.

I see it is also written in black and white in the FAQ, so this explanation locks it for me.

Meaning you're satisfied and happy with that reply? Really?

Also, the FAQ mentions the "home page" (this https://www.proz.com/ ), and says "ProZ.com's staff exercises editorial control over what appears on it", "The selection of featured items is managed in a semi-automated fashion" and "when a staff member comes across a thread that, for example, is more of a personal support ticket than a topic for discussion, he or she may unset the featured status. Also, topics which are locked may cease to be featured".

But the "most recent posts" section on the forum page (this https://www.proz.com/forum/categories/recent-recent.html ) clearly ISN'T the home page, and as the name suggests, it should just show the "most recent posts"... No "editorial control" is definitely needed for that, otherwise the category should be renamed from "most recent posts" to "featured posts", "most recent (editorially approved) posts", or whatever, also considering this "control" clearly goes beyond locked posts (or "personal support tickets" mistakenly posted on the fora...), as previously mentioned...

But even if the FAQ did mention both home page and the most recent posts page, would it be OK?
(I'm talking about whether it's "fair", liberal and equitable, not whether they can do it or not, as they clearly can...)

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Fancy Apr 17, 2019

And is there 'Closed threads' category to check, say, not to re-post the same or similar topics?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Mirko Mainardi

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
Really? Apr 17, 2019

Jan Truper wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I am just pondering why I should be a paying member of a site that doesn't trust me to make my own decisions regarding which user-generated content I see or don't see.

Hopefully, common sense will prevail.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I have more reasons Apr 17, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Main reason: I don't want to give up the profile I created.

I also wrote this to Jared about a year ago in a private email that I would not give up my profile.
And I want to be the one and only user of my own profile.

That time the settings of my profile were changed as not to receive any jobs or notifications and I was accused by the site staff that I made this change (Of course I did not. Since then I talked with another member and she received the same answer from the site staff when her settings were also changed).
That time I asked in a thread where the servers of proz.com were.
That thread was also locked I think (if I remember well it was locked by Henry).

I knew that there were servers of proz.com in the US but I remembered that the FAQ also mentioned that other locations could be used as well. Jared wrote me in an email that they had servers only in the US, I wanted to find the FAQ to show him what I read and oops that part of the FAQ disappeared. I quickly searched on Google for that cache, and I was able to make a printscreen just in the the right time because within a second oops caches of that part of the FAQ disappeared from Google.

The same thing happened now with the locked thread. It was not cached on google.
I'm wondering about the reason....

Also foreign ip addresses appeared as login details: US (Amazonaws), German and Chinese.
And my audio greeting disappeared (and couldn't even be fixed by the staff).....

I'm not the only one who was going through this. But many people gave up.
Some of them even gave up this profession.

[Edited at 2019-04-17 21:39 GMT]

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
Interesting Apr 17, 2019

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Main reason: I don't want to give up the profile I created.

I also wrote this to Jared about a year ago in a private email that I would not give up my profile.
And I want to be the one and only user of my own profile.

That time the settings of my profile were changed as not to receive any jobs or notifications and I was accused by the site staff that I made this change (Of course I did not. Since then I talked with another member and she received the same answer from the site staff when her settings were also changed).
That time I asked in a thread where the servers of proz.com were.
That thread was also locked I think (if I remember well it was locked by Henry).

I knew that there were servers of proz.com in the US but I remembered that the FAQ also mentioned that other locations could be used as well. Jared wrote me in an email that they had servers only in the US, I wanted to find the FAQ to show him what I read and oops that part of the FAQ disappeared. I quickly searched on Google for that cache, and I was able to make a printscreen just in the the right time because within a second oops caches of that part of the FAQ disappeared from Google.

The same thing happened now with the locked thread. It was not cached on google.
I'm wondering about the reason....

Also foreign ip addresses appeared as login details: US (Amazonaws), German and Chinese.
And my audio greeting disappeared (and couldn't even be fixed by the staff).....

I'm not the only one who was going through this. But many people gave up.
Some of them even gave up this profession.

Thank you for the detailed response.

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Apr 17, 2019

Mirko,

I’m not happy with the fact that threads on the recent posts page are being hidden/un-featured at staff’s discretion.

I appreciate, however, Jared’s timely and honest reply. He gave confirmation that this is intentional.

I’d like to call for transparency, equality and fairness, as you did in your three years earlier post, but this is just one of the too many shortcomings. it feels as if we’re beyond that point, and I just don’t want to dw
... See more
Mirko,

I’m not happy with the fact that threads on the recent posts page are being hidden/un-featured at staff’s discretion.

I appreciate, however, Jared’s timely and honest reply. He gave confirmation that this is intentional.

I’d like to call for transparency, equality and fairness, as you did in your three years earlier post, but this is just one of the too many shortcomings. it feels as if we’re beyond that point, and I just don’t want to dwell on it.

As for feeling alienated and staying a member, I will certainly consider my options and review my willingness to contribute any further, starting from these forums.

[Edited at 2019-04-17 20:46 GMT]
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Jan Truper
ahartje

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Agree and not at the same time Apr 17, 2019

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

First I agreed with you, Jean.
But then I took back my Agree because actually honest replies from the staff should be totally natural and evident.
Since these honest replies are so rare here, we are happy even for a few ones. And this is not good.
But I definately appreciate the first steps.

[Edited at 2019-04-17 20:47 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
If posted on a public forum... Apr 17, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

... that's a question, not a thought...

As for me, I've been a user of this site for a long while, contributed to kudoz and fora, received feedback from clients, participated in events, became "certified pro", won a translation contest, etc.

And at the very beginning I saw nothing wrong with anything, but in time a host of (more or less) little things I didn't agree with or found unfair started to pile up, so, fast-forward and now I'm left with a profile I invested a lot of time and effort in, a service that in the end does provide exposure on the Internet, and, on the other hand, a heap of what I deem very questionable choices, decisions and behaviors from the site owner(s) and staff. What's the alternative? Leave, and lose everything; STFU, as to not disturb the driver (and like minded individuals); voice my dissent, even if probably fruitlessly, or?

Robert Forstag
Kay Denney

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Locked threads disappear from the "Recent Translation forum posts" page

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »