Annett Roessner
Annett Roessner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:25
Member (2017)
English to German
May 14, 2018

Hi,

it's me again. I went into Trades to check my translation again and my whole project is gone. I can't even find my translation memory. All I can find is a translation memory last updated 10th May. I'm literally shaking right now. The translation is due tomorrow and is over 4000 words. So no way I can do this again.

Strangely enough I tried to create a new project for the file with the same name and Trados tells me that this Project already exists. So it must be so
... See more
Hi,

it's me again. I went into Trades to check my translation again and my whole project is gone. I can't even find my translation memory. All I can find is a translation memory last updated 10th May. I'm literally shaking right now. The translation is due tomorrow and is over 4000 words. So no way I can do this again.

Strangely enough I tried to create a new project for the file with the same name and Trados tells me that this Project already exists. So it must be somewhereI'm almost certain that I did a 'Save as target file' early on when I started the project but can't find it at all. Also Trados always autosaved the file. So it must be somewhere. I checked the project filters and it's definately not the issue. Is there any way to get the project back?

Please, please help me!!!

Thanks

Annett
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:25
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
did you check in "projects" > all projects May 14, 2018

This happened to me years ago, I found it by showing "all projects" or you can start a research of the folder created by sdl.

Capture

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:25
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Try to open it from the SDL Studio folder under "user" May 14, 2018

Hi Annett,

have you checked in the folder where all Studio projects are saved? Normally, it is created automatically under user > Documents > SDL Studio 20XX > Projects (path varies according to how you named your "user" and your Studio version). If not sure, mouse-over on one of your projects and you'll see the path

If your project is there (appears as a folder) you can open it from there double-clicking it.
(I hope you haven't re-imported the project otherwise
... See more
Hi Annett,

have you checked in the folder where all Studio projects are saved? Normally, it is created automatically under user > Documents > SDL Studio 20XX > Projects (path varies according to how you named your "user" and your Studio version). If not sure, mouse-over on one of your projects and you'll see the path

If your project is there (appears as a folder) you can open it from there double-clicking it.
(I hope you haven't re-imported the project otherwise your progress is gone, but Studio always asks you whether you want to import an older version while you are at it). As to the TM, how can you tell it was last updated on May 10th?! I wouldn't know straight away. It depends on how you manage your TMs... I keep separate folders per each client and an updated copy on server.

Save as target file means only that you "export" the translation, you create the translation file in the original format, say a MSWord file if the original file was a MSWord file. So, if you have never saved CTRL+S (or from the menu File > Save or Save all (guessing, my Studio runs in German) your project is saved in the SDL Studio 20XX folder, but not in the Studio list (AFAIK, it has happened to me before, Studio froze and I had to close it before saving the opened file in the editor. So, I opened it again from said folder).

Giuliana

[Edited at 2018-05-14 12:39 GMT]
Collapse

Annett Roessner
Australia
Member (2017)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Im lost May 14, 2018

Hi Guiliana

Thank you so much for your response.

I don’t seem to be able to find it.

The translation memory only had the progress up to 10th May. So not much at all. I did use the save button when I did my translation. I’m really at a loss. I did import the same word file again to set up a new project after losing the other one. It didn’t ask me if I want to import the old one.
I don’t know what happened to the project.

Any other ideas?

Annett Roessner
Australia
Member (2017)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I can’t even find the SDL document path May 14, 2018

I can’t even find the SDL document path mentioned by you, Guiliana.

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Steps May 14, 2018

Annett, how did you open the package? Was is a package, or it was you who created the project? Did you first save it after importing it to Studio? Please explain the step you went through so we can figure out what might have happened.

Annett Roessner
Australia
Member (2017)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I created the project myself May 14, 2018

from a Word file.

I did a save target as and kept saving my progress with the save button.

Annett Roessner
Australia
Member (2017)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I should also add May 14, 2018

that I restarted my lap top a few times prior to losing my project without me losing the project in Trados.

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
File Explorer May 14, 2018

If you open the folder where you first saved the project from File Explorer, what do you see there?

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
And the target file (created translation file) is there? May 14, 2018

what about the saved file as target? If you have it - and to the last segment you had translated, I'd suggest you do an alignment... and import again. This might sound a time-wasting activity, but in the end I'd say it is better than keep on searching what can't be found easily and lose more precious time. I know it's not ideal, but if your project has been overwritten there isn't much of an alternative.
I read you created the project yourself, hmm, re-creating ought to have overwritten t
... See more
what about the saved file as target? If you have it - and to the last segment you had translated, I'd suggest you do an alignment... and import again. This might sound a time-wasting activity, but in the end I'd say it is better than keep on searching what can't be found easily and lose more precious time. I know it's not ideal, but if your project has been overwritten there isn't much of an alternative.
I read you created the project yourself, hmm, re-creating ought to have overwritten the previous one, I'm surprised Studio hadn't warned you though - still, I almost never create projects, I am sent packages, when no package is provided I simply open the file and assign a TM...

Giuliana
Collapse

Annett Roessner
Australia
Member (2017)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I can see May 14, 2018

The word document, the project file and the SDL xLIFf file.

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
okay, sdlxliff file translated up to when? May 14, 2018

Annett wrote:

The word document, the project file and the SDL xLIFf file.

Okay, but is it translated to the last segment or not? Open it in Studio to find out. Studio might ask you to save it as new-name in case, but this would be no problem

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
That's good news May 14, 2018

That's good news. Double-click the sdlxliff file, it will open in Studio. I hope your translation is there. As pointed above, if you have already saved the target file, and if opening the sdlxliff from its folder does not work, at least you could align your source and target files to recreate the TM. But let's first see what happens when you open the sdxlliff file. Make sure to open it from the target folder (the one with language codes of your target language).

Annett Roessner
Australia
Member (2017)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I did but an error.... May 15, 2018

... message is coming up. I think it's lost. I now set up a new project to do the translation again and I noticed the TMI'm using has aonly saved some of my translation, even though I even save it from batch tasks.
I'm really not sure what is going on. I'm half way through my translation again and can't afford to lose it again.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:25
German to English
+ ...
Another idea, maybe? May 15, 2018

What error message are you getting, Annett?

And also, have you tried updating your TM with the SDLXLIFF even though you can't open the SDLXLIFF? Maybe you can access your previous work that way...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help- This is a disaster -I lost my project in Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »