Thread poster: SDL_Dan
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:45
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Continue paying for a buggy, slow, confusing mess, with no document previewer? No thanks. May 1, 2018

I just went to https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/ and added up the money I've spent on Studio over the past few years and have had enough. I don't even translate with it (I use Memsource), but like to keep it up to date for those clients that demand it (which is ridiculous and stupid of course, but the way of our world).

The stupid program doesn't even have a funct
... See more
I just went to https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/ and added up the money I've spent on Studio over the past few years and have had enough. I don't even translate with it (I use Memsource), but like to keep it up to date for those clients that demand it (which is ridiculous and stupid of course, but the way of our world).

The stupid program doesn't even have a functioning document previewer anymore and crashes every time you look at it! I've had enough; I'm going to stick it out with the last version I bought.

I've spent £1,166.53 in total (!!!) on Studio, between 2016 and 2017!

1. £547.35: SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance Plus + SDL AutoSuggest Creator Add-On (29-Mar-2016)
2. £147.60: Upgrade from SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance Plus to SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance Plus (18-Aug-2016)
3. £168.51: PSMA Level 2 Desktop - Premium Software Maintenance Agreement - 1 Year (22-Aug-2016)
4. £303.07: PSMA Level 1 Desktop - Premium Software Maintenance Agreement - 1 Year (04-Oct-2017)

£147.60
£547.35
£168.51
£303.07
---------+
TOTAL: £1,166.53
Collapse

Wilhelm Weigert
Max Jeremiah

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:45
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Is it Memsource now? May 1, 2018

Michael, it seems that you start using a new CAT tool every six months and you get passionate about it, then abandon it for the next one. Last time I saw you you were in love with DVX3. Now you're in love with Memsource and criticize all other tools? Is this the best tool for the next few months, then?

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:45
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
You are wrong May 1, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:
The stupid program doesn't even have a functioning document previewer anymore and crashes every time you look at it! I've had enough; I'm going to stick it out with the last version I bought.

It does happen that it crashes, but not every time *I* look at it, quite the countrary, so to be precise I think yoiu should write, "and crashes every time I look at it!". So I suspect there are incompatibilities between your computer and your version of Studio. I wonder if you have asked anyone for help to fix the problems you have. When I last got problems it was due to a Studio plugin one of my clients required me to install, which they helped me fix in a short while.

That said, Dejavu is my personal favourite, but that is because I've used it since version 2 in 1995 so that I know it quite well. I, therefore use Studio mainly to ensure that everything works fine before I send it from me, and also to be able to run the QA check my clients require me to run (which I need to do in Studio).

In addition it is very useful to look at the translation in a different view from the view in Dejavu I find.

I am using Memsource too, by the way, but I feel much more at home in Dejavu because of familiarity, so I've not purchased Memsource as yet, anyway, since those clients who require me to use it, give me a floating lisence.

And by the way I upgraded Studio 2015 to 2017 through a groupbuy in ProZ, and as far as I can see I don't think I've forked out more than half the amount you give. Four instances of forking out money in 2015 and 2016? Why? I have only done one purchase throughout that time, and it still works fine without any support agreement.

[Edited at 2018-05-01 19:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-05-01 19:10 GMT]

PMPtranslations
PMPtranslations  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:45
English to Swedish
+ ...
Will SDL Trados Studio 2019 work with Windows 7 May 8, 2018

Not a fan of Windows 10...

Thank you for information.

Josephine Cassar

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
How about an extra-lite version? May 8, 2018

A minimalist version would be appreciated with the following features:

1) Split text into segments and align side by side.

2) Save to / retrieve from TM.

That's it. Who needs all those frills, especially if the result is that the application crashes half a dozen times a day?

Luis Antonio de Larrauri

Patrick Arbaut
Patrick Arbaut
Argentina
Local time: 12:45
English to French
+ ...
SysReq May 11, 2018

I answer to "PMPTranslations" and to my previous question

SDL Trados Studio 2019 supports Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

As a minimum requirement, we recommend an Intel or compatible CPU-based computer with 4 GB RAM and a screen resolution of 1024x768.

For optimum performance, we recommend a 64-bit operating system, 16 GB RAM, an SSD drive and a recent Intel or c
... See more

SDL Trados Studio 2019 supports Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

As a minimum requirement, we recommend an Intel or compatible CPU-based computer with 4 GB RAM and a screen resolution of 1024x768.

For optimum performance, we recommend a 64-bit operating system, 16 GB RAM, an SSD drive and a recent Intel or compatible CPU. Full support for 4K hi-resolution screens is planned and will be implemented incrementally in future releases. You can find more information on how to deal with display issues in this KB article or by running an application from the SDL AppStore which implements a fix in the aforementioned KB article.

Note: SDL Trados Studio 2019 no longer supports Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Vista. The reason behind this is that we moved to Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 that no longer runs on Windows XP/Vista.

Source: https://www.sdltrados.com/landing/translator/sdl-trados-studio-2019-is-coming-soon-faqs.html

So it seems we now need a BIG computer !!!

FYI, Microsoft Net 4.5.2 is installed on my Windows Vista x64 SP2 and runs well
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (Offline Installer) for Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 SP2, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2

[Edited at 2018-05-11 14:53 GMT]
Collapse

Robert Dunn
Robert Dunn  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Slow and bloated May 18, 2018

Patrick ARBAUT wrote:

For optimum performance, we recommend a 64-bit operating system, 16 GB RAM, an SSD drive and a recent Intel or compatible CPU. Full support for 4K hi-resolution screens is planned and will be implemented incrementally in future releases. You can find more information on how to deal with display issues in this KB article or by running an application from the SDL AppStore which implements a fix in the aforementioned KB article.

Note: SDL Trados Studio 2019 no longer supports Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Vista. The reason behind this is that we moved to Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 that no longer runs on Windows XP/Vista.

Source: https://www.sdltrados.com/landing/translator/sdl-trados-studio-2019-is-coming-soon-faqs.html

So it seems we now need a BIG computer !!!

FYI, Microsoft Net 4.5.2 is installed on my Windows Vista x64 SP2 and runs well
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (Offline Installer) for Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 SP2, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2

[Edited at 2018-05-11 14:53 GMT]

Trados is without a doubt the slowest/buggiest CAT tool I have ever used. Memsource, MemoQ, Wordfast, and Across all run spectacularly...even on my old dual-core AMD laptop from 2011.

I suspect the program is simply inefficiently coded, which is why they require a fast system and a lot of RAM to compensate for it (if a program is slow, throwing a faster CPU at it masks the problem).

I have a new AMD Ryzen 2500 U 3.6Ghz quad-core laptop with Windows 10 and 8GB of RAM and even this machine has issues processing some of the bigger projects in Trados (just lags, hangs and runs slow).

Richard Hill
Wilhelm Weigert

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Wordfast faster than Studio? May 18, 2018

Are you sure that Wordfast is faster than Studio? I don't think so... Every single time I tried Wordfast Pro 3, 4 or 5, it was slower than molasses. Java being slow and suboptimal for all operating systems is something to be expected, but I am not willing to bear progress bars when confirming segments.

Robert Dunn
Robert Dunn  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Depends on the project May 18, 2018

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Are you sure that Wordfast is faster than Studio? I don't think so... Every single time I tried Wordfast Pro 3, 4 or 5, it was slower than molasses. Java being slow and suboptimal for all operating systems is something to be expected, but I am not willing to bear progress bars when confirming segments.

It really depends on the project. I've admittedly only used Wordfast a handful of times for small projects, and Trados works fine if your project is not overtly huge with many repetitions (like the current one I'm working on...71,000 total words with 8.6K new words and the vast majority of the rest being repetitions). In this case, Trados just hangs at times and it's annoying...even on state-of-the-art CPUs. At least give us a 64-bit version.

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 00:45
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Less buttons please May 18, 2018

All I need is a handful of buttons frequently used (line break and save / export preview button) but they are divided between different tabs and I need to look for them every time. Can we sort them out next time so that these buttons come near where the cursors are, not top above?

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Large projects May 18, 2018

I am currently working on a project of this size: almost 70,000 words from 45 tabs of a bilingual Excel file. memoQ x64 is as sluggish as Trados Studio. I keep Windows Task Manager open and Trados Studio has never even reached 500 MB of RAM consumption, while my web browser consumes around 1 GB. So, a 64-bit version of Studio would not bring any benefit, really.

My advice would be to either move your Studio projects, TMs and TBs to an SSD or use an Intel Optane memory module with a
... See more
I am currently working on a project of this size: almost 70,000 words from 45 tabs of a bilingual Excel file. memoQ x64 is as sluggish as Trados Studio. I keep Windows Task Manager open and Trados Studio has never even reached 500 MB of RAM consumption, while my web browser consumes around 1 GB. So, a 64-bit version of Studio would not bring any benefit, really.

My advice would be to either move your Studio projects, TMs and TBs to an SSD or use an Intel Optane memory module with a compatible 7th or 8th Gen Intel Processor and your usual, high-capacity HDD.

[Edited at 2018-05-18 19:31 GMT]
Collapse

Matheus Chaud
Matheus Chaud  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:45
English to Portuguese
+ ...

Shortcuts Jul 8, 2018

Chie. I wrote:

All I need is a handful of buttons frequently used (line break and save / export preview button) but they are divided between different tabs and I need to look for them every time. Can we sort them out next time so that these buttons come near where the cursors are, not top above?

Chie, I believe there are keyboard shortcuts for that. Once you master them, it's much faster than clicking buttons with the mouse.
I'm still memorizing the shortcuts for the functions that I use more often, but it's definitely worth the effort.

Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:45
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Will doubling my RAM to 32 make any difference in getting this shoddy piece of software to work? Jul 24, 2018

I only recently upgraded from 2015 to 2017 and while I like the new features on paper, this software is shoddy to say the least. I've also recently upgraded my hardware and have a 64-bit operating system, 16 GB RAM, a SSD drive and Core i7 processor and high-end motherboard. My PC technician assures me that further upgrading to 32 GB RAM will make no perceivable difference. Can anyone confirm this is the case? Will doubling my RAM to 32 make no real difference? If it would make a difference I'd ... See more
I only recently upgraded from 2015 to 2017 and while I like the new features on paper, this software is shoddy to say the least. I've also recently upgraded my hardware and have a 64-bit operating system, 16 GB RAM, a SSD drive and Core i7 processor and high-end motherboard. My PC technician assures me that further upgrading to 32 GB RAM will make no perceivable difference. Can anyone confirm this is the case? Will doubling my RAM to 32 make no real difference? If it would make a difference I'd go for it; what the hell, I've already spent a small fortune upgrading Studio and my hardware so...

I'm writing this as I'm bored while running the final stages of my translation process, which includes advanced filtering, spell checking on certain filtered segments only, locking certain segments. Spell checking in Studio has always been clumsy and slow, but it seems even worse after applying filters. After correcting or ignoring a given error, it can hang for minutes until it moves on to the next misspelled word.

Granted, the project I'm working on is 4 PowerPoint files and a Word file, with a combined 24000 segments, but with my new hardware I'd hoped Studio could handle the work at hand, but it seems not, so what I expect from 2019 is yet more trouble and for it to be even slower still.

I just timed how long it took to lock the segments I filtered and it was a whopping seven minutes.

I definitely won't be upgrading right away, especially as it's not possible to keep 2017 after installing 2019.

It's a real shame I'm not exited about an upgrade of one my most important tools; in theory the features are great, but in practice it's a joke.

They need to iron out the basic flaws before adding fancy new features that only serve to make it increasingly more unstable.

I don't get off on negativity, but SDL has had a good chunk of my cash over the years, and all things considered, they are not deserving of any praise to my mind.

Anyway, to finish on something positive, the only saving grace (and that's not the Company's) are the people whose blogs I've read and advice I've followed along this learning curve, including Emma, Nora, Jerzy and even Paul, who doesn't really count is he's on SDL's payroll. Only joking!

Good luck to you all, especially those who are going to take the plunge and upgrade as soon as it's released. You're a lot braver than I am.

[Edited at 2018-07-24 05:19 GMT]
Collapse

Luca Tutino

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:45
English to Russian
RE: Can anyone confirm this is the case? Jul 24, 2018

Richard Hill wrote:
Can anyone confirm this is the case?

I've been working with Studio since ver. 2009. At first it was my employer's copy, then (from 2011 and thereon) I bought it for myself. I worked with Studio 2015 on a 4-Gb computer and I cannot remember any performance problem. Now I have a 12-Gb PC. Minor lags happened but they were tolerable (within normal limits). I often focused my criticism on Trados for its wide range of errors a mere user cannot resolve on his/her own and for half-made or missing features, but slow performance was not a headache for me.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Richard Jul 24, 2018

Richard Hill wrote:
I've also recently upgraded my hardware and have a 64-bit operating system, 16 GB RAM, a SSD drive and Core i7 processor and high-end motherboard. My PC technician assures me that further upgrading to 32 GB RAM will make no perceivable difference.

Well, you can test this yourself by keeping the Task Manager open while you perform some heavy-duty tasks in Trados, to see how much RAM and CPU it uses. I did that recently and discovered that Trados 2015 and 2017 rarely go above 30% of CPU usage, even if 80-90% is available, and that it doesn't give you extra speed just because you have more RAM. Even gigantic projects that I tested never used more than half a gig of RAM, even though I have 16 available. If the software is not specifically designed to run faster when more resources are available, then it won't run faster once it hits its own upper limit.

I suspect (but I'm just guessing) that an SSD versus an HDD won't really affect your Trados speed either.

I just timed how long it took to lock the segments I filtered and it was a whopping seven minutes.

Sounds familiar. In the past week I had two Trados jobs... one with 5000 segments (41 files, 4.5 MB total) and one with 8000 segments (25 files, 8.0 MB total). Any productivity boost I may have had through working smarter, harder and faster went down the drain during simple things in Trados, e.g. selecting segments or changing segment statuses.

I think we have to face it: Trados is designed for small to medium sized jobs only (under 1000 segments). I'm not sure if MemoQ is better in this regard.

Luca Tutino
Wilhelm Weigert

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2019 announcement

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »