Is there any way to translate Memsource Web editor files in SDL Trados Studio 2015?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 10:53
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 28, 2018

I have this plugin Memsource plugin for Studio so I can connect to the customer's online TM (although from what I've read it only works with some licenses). And I signed up for a trial account for Memsource Freelancer Plus, otherwise this plugin won't work.

But then when I tried to create a new project and add the bilingual Memsource files they were not opened and labelled reference files only.

So I wonder if there is any way to add Memsource bilingual files to a Studio
... See more
I have this plugin Memsource plugin for Studio so I can connect to the customer's online TM (although from what I've read it only works with some licenses). And I signed up for a trial account for Memsource Freelancer Plus, otherwise this plugin won't work.

But then when I tried to create a new project and add the bilingual Memsource files they were not opened and labelled reference files only.

So I wonder if there is any way to add Memsource bilingual files to a Studio 2015 project?
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:53
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
why not just use the Memsource Desktop Editor (which is actually surprisingly good)? Feb 28, 2018

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

So I wonder if there is any way to add Memsource bilingual files to a Studio 2015 project?

Probably not what you want to hear, but … why not just use the Memsource Desktop Editor (which runs on Windows, Mac and Linux)(https://www.memsource.com/download/ ), instead of Studio? I own licences for all CAT tools under the sun, and I'd prefer to work in Memsource Desktop Editor over SDL Studio any day. Memsource Desktop Editor is like memoQ, but much lighter and responsive, with the added bonus of being able to connect to huge TMs and TBs, which work with almost no delays for matching/concordancing. Anyway, just my 2 cents!

maxresdefault

Michael

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I use Memsource Desktop Editor also, but want to try with SDL Trados Studio because of plugins Feb 28, 2018

Yes, Memsource Desktop Editor works fine, lacks features but is straightforward.

I've found some interesting apps though that I think will work very well for my current projects, and those apps I can only use in SDL Trados Studio.

I use MemoQ as well, and was considering trying there or in Studio, either of them because of Web Lookup! (Studio) and MemoQ Web Search (MemoQ).

I found the plugin needed to open xliff files now, and it worked. But the last step,
... See more
Yes, Memsource Desktop Editor works fine, lacks features but is straightforward.

I've found some interesting apps though that I think will work very well for my current projects, and those apps I can only use in SDL Trados Studio.

I use MemoQ as well, and was considering trying there or in Studio, either of them because of Web Lookup! (Studio) and MemoQ Web Search (MemoQ).

I found the plugin needed to open xliff files now, and it worked. But the last step, to add the customer's online TM remains. I opened the Connection credentials window in Studio now and added my credentials for my customer's Memsource online account, but nothing happens. It works only when I enter the credentials for my own Memsource 1+ Freelancers account (30 day trial account, then rather expensive, 20 EUR/month), then I get a green checkmark. But I need to get connected to my customer's Memsource account where the project TM is.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
fair enough Mar 1, 2018

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

I found the plugin needed to open xliff files now, and it worked. But the last step, to add the customer's online TM remains. I opened the Connection credentials window in Studio now and added my credentials for my customer's Memsource online account, but nothing happens. It works only when I enter the credentials for my own Memsource 1+ Freelancers account (30 day trial account, then rather expensive, 20 EUR/month), then I get a green checkmark. But I need to get connected to my customer's Memsource account where the project TM is.

Have you tried Memsource support yet? They are usually very fast/thorough.

Michael

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Memsource support advices me to use Memsource Mar 1, 2018

The support was fast but adviced me to use Memsource. A part of their reply:

But the problem might be in the Login credentials you are using. One user cannot simply connect to another user's TM and use it (data protection) unless your client shares the project or job with you (creating buyer > vendor connection) -
See Shared Projects.

If you now log in to your Memsource Account and cannot see the client's project there, you will not be able to connect to it in SDL
... See more
The support was fast but adviced me to use Memsource. A part of their reply:

But the problem might be in the Login credentials you are using. One user cannot simply connect to another user's TM and use it (data protection) unless your client shares the project or job with you (creating buyer > vendor connection) -
See Shared Projects.

If you now log in to your Memsource Account and cannot see the client's project there, you will not be able to connect to it in SDL either.
You probably will need to use the linguist's credentials your client sent you and work in Memsource Editor or ask your client to set up the Buyer > vendor connection and share the job with you.

Shared projects: https://help.memsource.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003691632-Shared-Projects

From these instructions it seems I have to always enter the same cloud URL (step 5; not the customer's URL for Memsource):

https://wiki.memsource.com/wiki/Memsource_Plugin_for_Studio_User_Manual
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
still no auto-suggest Mar 1, 2018

in the desktop editor... I've asked them (Memsource) a million times... it's coming, it's coming, they say, but it never does... The one in Studio is a massive time-saver and increases your productivity enormously...

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Remote server returned an error Mar 1, 2018

The only thing I can try now is to enter the login credentials from my customer for logging into Memsource Web Editor in the Memsource Cloud plugin in Studio when creating a project, and then use this URL from the instructions in step 5:

But I get this error:

... See more
The only thing I can try now is to enter the login credentials from my customer for logging into Memsource Web Editor in the Memsource Cloud plugin in Studio when creating a project, and then use this URL from the instructions in step 5:

But I get this error:

The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.

I get a green checkmark and Authorized displayed for the login credentials when I have entered them and clicked Log in.
But then I get this error message when I click Browse TM, and after confirming the error I at least get the window opened where the TMs should be displayed (which is empty now).
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, they promised they would be adding auto-suggest to me too, quite recently. Mar 1, 2018

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

in the desktop editor... I've asked them (Memsource) a million times... it's coming, it's coming, they say, but it never does... The one in Studio is a massive time-saver and increases your productivity enormously...

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

However, even though auto-suggest is great in Studio, so many other things aren't that it is still better to work in Memsource, for my purposes at least.

Also, the way I work (Dictation + DeepL via GT4T), I hardly use auto-suggest these days. DeepL provides me with the framework of the segment, and any specific terms I can pick from Memsource’s "CAT" pane (via shortcuts or via Ctrl+Up/Down + Space). The biggest benefit(s) of not using Studio is: NO MORE BUGS & CRASHES & HORRIBLE UNRESPONSIVE UI!

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes, but I don't... Mar 1, 2018

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

However, even though auto-suggest is great in Studio, so many other things aren't that it is still better to work in Memsource, for my purposes at least.

Also, the way I work (Dictation + DeepL via GT4T), I hardly use auto-suggest these days. DeepL provides me with the framework of the segment, and any specific terms I can pick from Memsource’s "CAT" pane (via shortcuts or via Ctrl+Up/Down + Space). The biggest benefit(s) of not using Studio is: NO MORE BUGS & CRASHES & HORRIBLE UNRESPONSIVE UI!

use Dictation, so auto-suggest on large files with lots of similar fragments is a life saver...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any way to translate Memsource Web editor files in SDL Trados Studio 2015?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »