Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Again please, how to open Wordfast TXML with Trados Studio?
Thread poster: Rutger Cornets de Groot
Rutger Cornets de Groot
Rutger Cornets de Groot  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:31
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 10, 2017

Hi,

I don't mean to impose on the forum but I do need help with this issue that was resolved before but has come up again. I am referring to the thread at How to open Wordfast TXML with Trados Studio? that was started in 2010.

I added the following question 2 days ago but it has not received a response and I am wondering if it has bee
... See more
Hi,

I don't mean to impose on the forum but I do need help with this issue that was resolved before but has come up again. I am referring to the thread at How to open Wordfast TXML with Trados Studio? that was started in 2010.

I added the following question 2 days ago but it has not received a response and I am wondering if it has been seen by anybody. So here it goes again with hopes that someone will pick it up. Thanks!

Hi,

Not sure since when but I am unable to translate XML files in Studio 2015 while before this worked just fine.

When I add an XML file to the project wizard it is considered a reference file instead of a translatable file.

I tried the Open Exchange plugin for Wordfast but no luck.

I also looked fot the Sdl.FileType.TXML.sdlplugin file; the path is there but the file is not.

Finally, I tried to create a txml file type myself based on the instructions of Paul Filkin. Still, no luck. All of these have worked in the past so I don't know what's going on. I use Studio 2015 on a Windows 10 machine.

Thanks,

Rutger
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Open Exchange plugin works absolutely fine Jun 10, 2017

Rutger Cornets de Groot wrote:
I tried the Open Exchange plugin for Wordfast but no luck.

Most probably you did smth wrong while installing - I would suggest to check.

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:31
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Check file types Jun 10, 2017

Under options > File types to make sure your xml types are checked. In the left column you can click the type and expand settings. I am not an expert with these settings, but that's where I would start - Studio should be able to handle these.
<
... See more
Under options > File types to make sure your xml types are checked. In the left column you can click the type and expand settings. I am not an expert with these settings, but that's where I would start - Studio should be able to handle these.

This might also help:
https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/172/t/9612
Collapse

Rutger Cornets de Groot
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Installing plugin Jun 10, 2017

Thanks both!

You're right, Natalie, the "File Type Definition for Wordfast TXML" plugin is not listed under the installed plugins even though I downloaded and installed it twice now. It's a matter of clicking on the plugin file, right? A dialogue came up asking if a Studio handler should install it. I said yes, and then nothing much happened. It's not listed under 'Additional file types exist'.

As for the xml file types under Options, Lianne, they are all checked... <
... See more
Thanks both!

You're right, Natalie, the "File Type Definition for Wordfast TXML" plugin is not listed under the installed plugins even though I downloaded and installed it twice now. It's a matter of clicking on the plugin file, right? A dialogue came up asking if a Studio handler should install it. I said yes, and then nothing much happened. It's not listed under 'Additional file types exist'.

As for the xml file types under Options, Lianne, they are all checked...

[Bijgewerkt op 2017-06-10 21:23 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:31
English to French
+ ...
Could this help? Jun 10, 2017

Rutger Cornets de Groot wrote:

plugin is not listed

As for the xml file types under Options, Lianne, they are all checked...

[Bijgewerkt op 2017-06-10 21:23 GMT]

Hello Rutger,

I stumbled upond this page, could this help (if you haven't seen it yet?)? http://translationtherapy.com/tents-interoperability/

It seems that MemoQ natively runs txml, after loading the txml, getting the bilingual file from there (memoQ mqxliff) and load it into SDL (or not if you have Memo-Q) could be an option maybe, if you're willing to (more steps... ).

My bests

Rutger Cornets de Groot
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Plugin won't install Jun 10, 2017

Thanks Fi2, but the plugin won't install. I think I can narrow it down to that problem. After I hit the downloaded file, it is not listed under plugins, nor is the file type listed under Options or under Additional file types exist.
I think my best bet now is to reinstall Studio and see if that changes anything.

Thanks!

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Why reinstalling Studio because of a plugin? Jun 10, 2017

Close Studio.
Locate the file Sdl.FileType.TXML.sdlplugin

Copy it to c:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\14\Plugins\Packages\
[Note: instead of 14 put your actual Studio version number, e.g. 11]

Start Studio, and the plugin will be unpacked.

Go to File > options and you will find a link in the filetypes that says additional filetypes exist.
Click on that and select the filetype.

Rutger Cornets de Groot
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which version number? Jun 10, 2017

Hi Natalie,

I had already uninstalled Studio when I read your message. It is now reinstalled, and I have Studio 2015; however there is no version 15 in the folder C:\Users\RHCdG\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio. There are 3 folders there, 10, 12, and 12.0.0.0. Can you tell me where I should drop the plugin?

Thanks,
Rutger

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
12 Jun 11, 2017

Folder 12 is for Studio 2015. Folder 14 would be for 2017.

Rutger Cornets de Groot
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Almost there... Jun 11, 2017

Thanks, Lianne!

I need to ask you to be more specific though, because I see there are folders within the /12 folder: ../Plugins and then either ../../Packages or ../../Unpacked.

Thanks!

Rutger

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
packages Jun 11, 2017

... as Natalie said...
Makes sense: you move the package, not the unpacked stuff -- just as when you travel....

Rutger Cornets de Groot
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
YES! Jun 11, 2017

Finally! This works, I have a translatable txml file... And I figured as much re: packages but I didn't want to mess things up...
Thanks very much, Lianne, and all of you!
Best regards,
Rutger

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
What's the plugin? Jun 11, 2017

Good to hear, Rutger. I just happened to have copied a plugin myself today, the Color Theme from 2015 to 2017.
I rarely translate tmxl's in Studio anymore but I know it works well. What is the plugin that you needed to install for that?

[Edited at 2017-06-11 01:45 GMT]

Rutger Cornets de Groot
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Plugin for handling txml files Jun 11, 2017

Hi Lianne,
The plugin is called Sdl.FileType.TXML.sdlplugin. Is this what you're asking?

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks Jun 11, 2017

I was not aware or don't remember this required a plugin. I thought I was able to open txml's without it, but it has been a while. I downloaded it - just in case.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Again please, how to open Wordfast TXML with Trados Studio?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »