Hakan Kiyici  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 01:21
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 20, 2013

Hi

I had mentioned earlier under another topic. But it is getting serious now.

Although a specific word is in TM, it does not find it. It is in the same document. I can find it with Ctrl F and see that it is confirmed segment and see that it is in TM. But, concordance search does not find it.

This was not happening in English to Turkish direction, as I remember. Just guessing.

But, currently, I am working on a project in Turkish to English dire
... See more
Hi

I had mentioned earlier under another topic. But it is getting serious now.

Although a specific word is in TM, it does not find it. It is in the same document. I can find it with Ctrl F and see that it is confirmed segment and see that it is in TM. But, concordance search does not find it.

This was not happening in English to Turkish direction, as I remember. Just guessing.

But, currently, I am working on a project in Turkish to English direction. And, the concordance search doesn't seem to be working as it should be.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Kind regards

Hakan Kiyici

p.s.: Below is a relatively minor issue if anyone has any idea.

Concordance search is not picking up the word selected for search most of the tıme, after first search is complete. Say, I select a word, perform concordance search. Not sure if its for the same segment or following segments, I choose another word and press F3 and the previously selected one is not cleared and new one is not displayed. After deselecting and reselecting it decides to pick up the word.
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:21
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Check the project settings Aug 20, 2013

1. Go to the Projects view and right click the relevant project > Project Settings.
2. Select Language Pairs from the left pane > Your requried language pair (or All Language Pairs, depending on how you setup your project) > Translation Memory and Automated Translation.
3. Make sure that the all the relevant checkboxes are ticked for the TM that you use.

If they are and the concordance search still doesn't work. Open the TM in the TM view and check if it contains
... See more
1. Go to the Projects view and right click the relevant project > Project Settings.
2. Select Language Pairs from the left pane > Your requried language pair (or All Language Pairs, depending on how you setup your project) > Translation Memory and Automated Translation.
3. Make sure that the all the relevant checkboxes are ticked for the TM that you use.

If they are and the concordance search still doesn't work. Open the TM in the TM view and check if it contains the content of your work. If not, you would need to update it.

[Edited at 2013-08-20 04:30 GMT]
Collapse

Hakan Kiyici
Türkiye
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
had done but did not help Aug 20, 2013

Hi,

Yes. I had done both. They are in TM and do not come up in the concordance searches.

Project settings are same as other projects which works in other project as normal.

Thank you
Kind regards

Hakan Kiyici

Shai Nave wrote:

If they are and the concordance search still doesn't work. Open the TM in the TM view and check if it contains the content of your work. If not, you would need to update it.

[Edited at 2013-08-20 04:30 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:21
English
KB Aug 20, 2013

Dear Hakan,

See http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4494 for some explanation on why this might be happening.

Having said that, Concordance has been further tweaked for Studio 2014.

Cheers,
Luis

Hakan Kiyici
Türkiye
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Aug 21, 2013

Dear Luis,

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked the link. It does not really tell much why most of the keywords do not come up in the search. My TMs are created the same way with same default settings.

Hope it is tweaked for the better as the current Translation Results are not very promising.

Hoping that 2014 is full of innovative features.

Thank you

Hakan Kiyici

SDL Support wrote:

Dear Hakan,

See http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4494 for some explanation on why this might be happening.

Having said that, Concordance has been further tweaked for Studio 2014.

Cheers,
Luis

Hamid Aydin
Hamid Aydin  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Same in 2014 May 22, 2014

I recently installed Studio 2014 with a full-day-nightmare. Anyway, I found a solution to install the software while all KB articles weren't helpful.

Now, I have two serious issues about Concordance function in Studio 2014.

1. This is the same issue as Hakan mentioned earlier for 2011. Concordance doesn't return any result, although I am sure there is. This is not about project settings, because all check boxes are selected.

2. Another serious problem is th
... See more
I recently installed Studio 2014 with a full-day-nightmare. Anyway, I found a solution to install the software while all KB articles weren't helpful.

Now, I have two serious issues about Concordance function in Studio 2014.

1. This is the same issue as Hakan mentioned earlier for 2011. Concordance doesn't return any result, although I am sure there is. This is not about project settings, because all check boxes are selected.

2. Another serious problem is that I cannot see the nickname of the translator who created the entry when looking up the Concordance search. The yellow ribbon which supposed to be placed in the bottom of the Concordance window is not there as it should be in Studio 2011.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:21
English to Spanish
Concordance malfunction related to search and filter malfunctions? May 23, 2014

I wonder if the concordance search malfuntions described by Hamid and Hakan are related to search and filter malfunctions that I have experienced in Studio 2011.

The other day I needed to change one word for another, so I typed the word in the "Filter" box, but no segments came out as containing the word.

Next, I tried a manual search (Ctrl + F), and the same thing happened, no segments turned out. I even placed the mouse pointer at the beginning o
... See more
I wonder if the concordance search malfuntions described by Hamid and Hakan are related to search and filter malfunctions that I have experienced in Studio 2011.

The other day I needed to change one word for another, so I typed the word in the "Filter" box, but no segments came out as containing the word.

Next, I tried a manual search (Ctrl + F), and the same thing happened, no segments turned out. I even placed the mouse pointer at the beginning of one of the segments that actually had the word in it, and still, the search function did not find the word.

SDL Studio is not the worst CAT tool there is, but some of its "idiosincracies" (the euphemism of the year) are simply not aceptable for a software of that price level.

I still use Studio 2011, but from what I read, apparently all the problems that this version has, are still in the 2014 version. For me, to upgrade to a version that still has the same problems as the previous version is a no go.

SDL needs to clean up its act, but for that to happen, they need to start caring...
Collapse

Jeffrey Slenker
Jeffrey Slenker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
Japanese to English
Japanese Concordance Search Functionality for Trados Studio 2009 has changed over time for the worse Jun 16, 2018

I have issues with the Concordance Search function in Trados Studio 2009. This version initially provided results for two adjacent Japanese characters first before providing non-adjacent results. Then the functionality became that the most recent instances of the two characters (non-adjacent) were shown first, while you had to scroll down to find any possible adjacent two characters and if those adjacent characters were not in the most recent 25 instances of the characters, you were out of luck... See more
I have issues with the Concordance Search function in Trados Studio 2009. This version initially provided results for two adjacent Japanese characters first before providing non-adjacent results. Then the functionality became that the most recent instances of the two characters (non-adjacent) were shown first, while you had to scroll down to find any possible adjacent two characters and if those adjacent characters were not in the most recent 25 instances of the characters, you were out of luck. At that time three adjacent characters were still shown first. Today, for the first time, even in the case of three adjacent characters, the most recent instances of the three characters are shown at the top of the results even if they are not adjacent. This makes the concordance much less helpful to those of us who are JPN to ENG translators. My question is "How did this reduction in functionality occur?" I haven't done anything to my TM or to the program itself. Is this a way Trados "updates" its old versions to "encourage" translators to move to a newer version? Anyone else having this problem? I liked version 2007 the best, regretting the change to 2009 and am afraid I will regret moving to a newer version of Trados related to this issue. Oh, and don't even ask me about how finding adjacent katakana characters has changed....

Trados-2009-Concordance-Search-Problem
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

concordance search does not return results, although there is

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »