Thread poster: Karim Romero
Karim Romero
Karim Romero  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 5, 2019

Good morning,

Someone online is using my name, my email signature, my online profile at proz.com and the name of my company to trick translators. I have sent an explanation about this scammer to more than 15 freelancers and companies requesting payments of up to $5,000 from us, for jobs they have completed for this scammer.

The scammer first use the name: Karim Romereo or Karim Romeo, pretending to be me, I contacted him and now, he is also USING MY SIGNATURE. This s
... See more
Good morning,

Someone online is using my name, my email signature, my online profile at proz.com and the name of my company to trick translators. I have sent an explanation about this scammer to more than 15 freelancers and companies requesting payments of up to $5,000 from us, for jobs they have completed for this scammer.

The scammer first use the name: Karim Romereo or Karim Romeo, pretending to be me, I contacted him and now, he is also USING MY SIGNATURE. This scam copied my signature from an email I sent him, Of course, he never answered... Horrible!!!

I have also reported this to godaddy.com, bluehost.com, and the American Translators Association. I have been trying to stop this scam, but I am still receiving invoices for orders this scammer made.
Please double check for proper spelling as the scammer often changes the name by one letter. With your vigilance and cooperation we will be able to deter the scammer from continuing this activity.
Look at in my proz.com profile which states I am NOT that scam Karim Romereo
https://www.proz.com/profile/1128193

Our website is certranslations.com.

The email this scammer uses is certranslations.net, which does not exist.
This scammer send emails from [email protected].

PLEASE SHARE THIS SCAM ACTIVITY and report it as much as you can to spread the word. One of the frelancers posted here...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/axznp9/freelancer_beware_this_email_heshe_falsely_claim/

If you know if there is something else I can do to stop this scam, please let me know.

Thank you!
Karim Romero

[Edited at 2019-04-05 15:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-04-05 21:10 GMT]
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:37
English to Czech
+ ...
Sorry for what happened to you... Apr 5, 2019

Karim Romero wrote:

If you know if there is something else I can do to stop this scam?

You can send all details you have to http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-directory.htm (there are email addresses for this purpose somewhere).
Publishing the exact address(es) the scammer is using would also be a good idea.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Yolanda Broad

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
This is terrible Apr 5, 2019

I'm sorry, Karim, that this has happened to you, and also feel for our colleagues who have been scammed.

If you can find out the scammer's IP address this would help localize him/her.

In any case you should file a report/complaint here:
https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/cyber
This seems to be organized crime, and should be dealt with accordingly. Perhaps it might
... See more
I'm sorry, Karim, that this has happened to you, and also feel for our colleagues who have been scammed.

If you can find out the scammer's IP address this would help localize him/her.

In any case you should file a report/complaint here:
https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/cyber
This seems to be organized crime, and should be dealt with accordingly. Perhaps it might be a good idea to inform all translators who have sent you their invoices, to also file a complaint and report this crime to the FBI or to the local or international law enforcement agencies in their country.

Stay safe!
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Yolanda Broad
Morano El-Kholy

Karim Romero
Karim Romero  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Scammer's new email address: [email protected] Apr 15, 2019

Thanks to one of you, a freelancer reported the scammer to upwork.com, and he/she was banned from using that site to trick translators.

However, he/she is still contacting proz.com freelancers and tricking others.
My email is [email protected] (with an "s" at the end).
The scammer uses [email protected], (without the "s) and signs
... See more
Thanks to one of you, a freelancer reported the scammer to upwork.com, and he/she was banned from using that site to trick translators.

However, he/she is still contacting proz.com freelancers and tricking others.
My email is [email protected] (with an "s" at the end).
The scammer uses [email protected], (without the "s) and signs my signature (which includes my name, office address and 800 phone numbers).

Please spread the word. Thanks
Karim Romero
Collapse

Sasan Zangeneh Bar

Holy Smoke (X)
Holy Smoke (X)
United States
Review against scammers Apr 18, 2019

It is very appreciable that you have shared the experience with us and I think it also good to use a site that allows you to write reviews about such scammers.

annalisa mileto
annalisa mileto
Italy
Member (2020)
English to Italian
+ ...
Scammer Karim Romereo or Romero Apr 29, 2019

Hi,
I have been a victim of this scammer as well....He sent me on 28th March PO for some translations, and I lost my time and works for ca. 870.00 EUR. I am very upset, I found out concerning this scammer only two days ago when I sent my payment invoice to him and I found out that e-mail suddenly was not exisisting anymore! So I contacted agency and the real Karin Romereo informed me that she received claims from about 15 translators who wanted to get paid. I am very disappointed as I ju
... See more
Hi,
I have been a victim of this scammer as well....He sent me on 28th March PO for some translations, and I lost my time and works for ca. 870.00 EUR. I am very upset, I found out concerning this scammer only two days ago when I sent my payment invoice to him and I found out that e-mail suddenly was not exisisting anymore! So I contacted agency and the real Karin Romereo informed me that she received claims from about 15 translators who wanted to get paid. I am very disappointed as I just accepted a work offered me through Proz.com platform, I felt secure, for me was a normal translation jon from a company guaranteed from Proz and I had not to worry about verifyng idendity. Just now I found out that all infos concerning scammer are to be found in Wiki.Proz pages....or in Proz.forum pages, but we are talking about a very important matter and according to my opinion these sort of warnings must be more advertised and should be more easliy traceable to all translators. Anyway I would like to know if there is something I can do to try to trace back this scammer, if there is special address I can send all my emails received from him or anything else I can do!
Thank you very much to anyone who will help me!
Annalisa Mileto
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beware of scam, Karim Romereo or Romeo, who is impersonating me and my company

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »