How to report a fraud message through Proz.com from non member?
Thread poster: Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:02
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Aug 7, 2015

I've just received a Nigerian Fraud letter from a "felicia via ProZ.com", and I am, of course, not pleased that it was stopped by Proz, but rather forwarded to me.

In the heading of the message it says from ProZ:

"You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: felicia [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 41.190.14.17"

I have tried to find somewhere on ProZ
... See more
I've just received a Nigerian Fraud letter from a "felicia via ProZ.com", and I am, of course, not pleased that it was stopped by Proz, but rather forwarded to me.

In the heading of the message it says from ProZ:

"You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: felicia [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 41.190.14.17"

I have tried to find somewhere on ProZ where I could report such activity so that the IP address could be blocked, especially since the person is not a ProZ.com user, but have not found it.

Can anyone advice me what to do? (I'll mark it as spam in gmail, of course, but still.)

Roy
Collapse

Jason Gurvitz

ana raquel (X)
ana raquel (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same happened to me Aug 7, 2015

Hi Roy,

I just had the same problem. She also sent me this message. Since this is clearly a money scam, I reported the message as spam, blocked her (you have the links for both at the end of the email she sent you) and I also sent a message to Proz (a support request) to let them know what is going on.

Jason Gurvitz

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Count me as another Aug 7, 2015

I've also just received a scam letter from poor Miss Felicia.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:02
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Me too Aug 7, 2015

I heard from poor Felicia too. There's a link to Proz's scam-reporting mechanism at the bottom of the scam message - just click on it and it will be reported to Proz automatically and the sender will be blocked from contacting you again.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi folks Aug 7, 2015

Poor Felicia has been blocked already.

Natalia

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hadn't noticd the spam link at the bottom Aug 7, 2015

ana raquel wrote:
I just had the same problem. She also sent me this message. Since this is clearly a money scam, I reported the message as spam, blocked her (you have the links for both at the end of the email she sent you) and I also sent a message to Proz (a support request) to let them know what is going on.

Thanks a lot. I should not need to do anything more, then. Good.

And "poor Miss Felicia"? I would not call a person involved in fraud "poor", actually. And for all I know "she" is really a "he".

Roy

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:02
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

How to report a message from a sender who is not logged into the Site Aug 7, 2015

When you submit a Support request (select "Report abuse" from the dropdown menu), you should include the IP address, so ProZ staff can track down the sender and block them.

In this case, however, as Natalia reports, "Felicia" has already been caught and blocked. At least until the scammer logs onto the Site from a different IP. The faster you report the scam message, the sooner the scammer can be blocked.

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Felicia is already reported Aug 7, 2015

Yolanda Broad wrote:

When you submit a Support request (select "Report abuse" from the dropdown menu), you should include the IP address, so ProZ staff can track down the sender and block them.

In this case, however, as Natalia reports, "Felicia" has already been caught and blocked. At least until the scammer logs onto the Site from a different IP. The faster you report the scam message, the sooner the scammer can be blocked.

Thanks for the advice. I have already reported her but didn't notice the drop down menu, probably because she was already registered.

Roy

Wesley Honore
Wesley Honore
United States
Local time: 16:02
English to Haitian-Creole
+ ...
Anna Briggs/fraud Aug 1, 2018

Hi guys!

Please beware of Anna Briggs. She contacted me and asking me for my bank account and routine number so she can initiate payment for a job she wanted me to do.
Then she asked me for my debit card number.

I have already blocked her. Please share this info with other colleagues.

Thanks,

Wesley

Laura Ventruto
Laura Ventruto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Bruno Gome Feb 19, 2019

Has anyone been contacted by a Bruno Gome (email [email protected]) through proz? He sent a document to be translated from English into Italian and the text didn't make much sense at all... I reported him already.
Be careful!
Laura

Nancy Lemarroy
Nancy Lemarroy
United States
Local time: 13:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Felicia is back Jul 7, 2019

Hello everybody,

I just want to warn you about this scammer. She or he wanted my translation services and offered to send the full payment before I send the document. Then she asked my information to send a cashier's check. I reported and block the IP address.

Be careful!

Nancy

[Edited at 2019-07-07 03:41 GMT]

Paweł Hamerski (X)
Paweł Hamerski (X)
English to Polish
+ ...
You should always accept the scammer's offer as in this way he/she bears Jul 7, 2019

costs of preparing and sending the cheque. Always!

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jul 7, 2019

There's also the option of only receiving messages from users who are logged in.
I recently got a message which seemed a bit dodgy from someone who "was either a user or was not logged in at time of sending", so I decided to click on that in order not to get any more.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to report a fraud message through Proz.com from non member?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »