CafeTran is available to all ProZ.com paying members during Covid-19 pandemic
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 16:31
SITE STAFF
Apr 9, 2020

Dear members,

If you are just getting into translation, or find yourself looking for a new CAT tool at the moment, you may want to consider CafeTran. CafeTran is an industrial-strength CAT tool that allows you to work with some of the most popular file formats (for example, if your client uses Trados files, you can probably use CafeTran for that work). Until now, an unlimited, floating license to CafeTran has been included in ProZ.com Plus membership subscriptions.

Now,
... See more
Dear members,

If you are just getting into translation, or find yourself looking for a new CAT tool at the moment, you may want to consider CafeTran. CafeTran is an industrial-strength CAT tool that allows you to work with some of the most popular file formats (for example, if your client uses Trados files, you can probably use CafeTran for that work). Until now, an unlimited, floating license to CafeTran has been included in ProZ.com Plus membership subscriptions.

Now, and during the Covid-19 pandemic, CafeTran is available in its unlimited version to all ProZ.com paying members, regardless of membership level (i.e. both Standard and Plus memberships). Many thanks go out to Igor at CafeTran for agreeing to make this benefit available to all members. The ProZ.com site team hopes that access to this software will be of use to those who are looking for a CAT tool now.

If you are a ProZ.com paying member and would like to activate the unlimited version of CafeTran Espresso:

1. Download CafeTran Espresso for your operating system at https://www.cafetran.com/

cafetran_001

2. After installation, launch the program and check the "ProZ.com services" box in the Other resources and services panel of the Dashboard. Close out the dashboard to go to the project view.

cafetran_002

cafetran_003

3. Towards the bottom of the program you will see connection options, including ProZ.com and TM-Town. Click on the tab for ProZ.com. In the login page that appears, sign in to your ProZ.com account. CafeTran will automatically "read" your membership level and activate your unlimited license.

cafetran_004

cafetran_005

4. And to start using CafeTran, click the navigation burger (i.e. ☰) and then select the option to close the dashboard.

CafeTran has a comprehensive knowledgebase, and a great support community. To see tutorials, tips and tricks, and to get help with CafeTran, visit https://www.cafetran.com/#help

Jared
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Aline Amorim
Thaïs Tarragó van Wijk
Mohsin Afaq
Antonio J. Pérez
Fábio de Macêdo
Małgorzata Gardocka

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
And to start using it... Apr 9, 2020

And to start using CafeTran, click the navigation burger (i.e. ☰) and then select the option to close the dashboard.

Antonio J. Pérez
Isabelle Massalski
Nahla Elfeky
Mpasua Msonobari
Agata Lelito
Marieta McCune
mohammadabdu

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 04:31
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Not thrilled Apr 9, 2020

That is very kind of you but I could not help wondering what a CAT tool has to do with pandemic
- someone can even see this as just taking chance to expand a product by using the tragic pandemic for your own benefit.

Darius Sciuka
Christopher Schröder
Petra Ledolter
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Mirella Biagi
mohammadabdu

Marisa Cardon
Marisa Cardon  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
Or maybe Apr 9, 2020

Chie. I wrote:

That is very kind of you but I could not help wondering what a CAT tool has to do with pandemic
- someone can even see this as just taking chance to expand a product by using the tragic pandemic for your own benefit.

Maybe they are just trying to contribute in any way they can, and helping translators who cannot afford a CAT tool and who are maybe even working as volunteers in the translation of COVID-19 related documents.

I myself am working as volunteer and who knows, maybe once this is over, I will add that to my CV. Is that the reason why I am doing it? No, I'm doing it because I care. So, until I am proven wrong, I like to think this is the reason why most people are trying to help nowadays. Of course, you can call me naïve...

Nahla Elfeky
Flaviana De Gennaro
Mansour Solayman
Sheila Wilson
Yolanda Broad
Selcuk Akyuz
Daniela N Nelbone

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Samuel Apr 9, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

And to start using CafeTran, click the navigation burger (i.e. ☰) and then select the option to close the dashboard.

Attention to detail! Thanks! I'll add that to my original post's instructions.

Jared

Nahla Elfeky

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
You can't thrill everyone... Apr 9, 2020

Hello Chie. I,

Chie. I wrote:

The intention was not to thrill anyone, though I have received some happy replies to the email I sent out, so it looks like it may be of use to some. I understand the tendency to read sinister intentions into something like this (cue evil corporate laughter and the sound of thunder), but believe it or not, the ProZ.com site team is not thinking along those lines at the moment.

The intention is to provide a bit of help those who may be looking for a CAT tool to use now, but who may not have immediate access to one for whatever reason. For example, there may be some who have been mostly practicing interpreting and are now needing to make a sudden shift into translating more, and having easy access to a CAT tool is one less thing to worry about. Likewise with those who are just now getting into translation. The freelancer summit being held yesterday, today, and tomorrow, is being offered in the same spirit, and so on with some other recent changes (see https://go.proz.com/covid for more of that). For those who have no need of these things, good on you!

Jared

Lidia Baias (X)
Nahla Elfeky
Mike Donlin
Christiane Berthold
Anna Gorska
Yoana Ivanova
Mansour Solayman

Slobodan Kozarčić
Slobodan Kozarčić  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2016)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Me too Apr 9, 2020

Chie. I wrote:

I now feel very stupid for wasting 50 EUR more for buying a Plus membership, mostly to get access to CafeTran (still not used after four months), and now others will get it for free. I know there are other features for a Plus member, but I wasn't also able to download one of the glossaries for my language pair (my native lang. isn't there). So, now I know what (not) to do in December 2020.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:01
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you. Apr 10, 2020

I have successfully activated CafeTrans. I am new to this Cat tool. Hopefully it will serve me well with my translation career in the coming days.

Stay safe and keep positive in these difficult times.

Yussuf Abdi
Anna Gorska
Marguerite Mignon
Kapil Swami
Rodrigo Gonçalves
Galiana Lindoso

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
CafeTran Espresso Apr 10, 2020

Hello,

The official CafeTran Espresso knowledge base, which includes articles about Getting Started, can be found at https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions

Samuel Murray wrote:

It is good to point out that some actions (like selecting secondary workflows, enabling multiple document projects, opening the Preferences directly from the Dashboard etc.) can be done via the Dashboard menu button (☰).

That said, closing the Dashboard lets you access the main translation interface, but this is only marginally useful if no project is loaded. To wit, if you go to the Project menu > New, CafeTran asks whether you wish to close the current project… and returns to the Dashboard view

The Dashboard is the first screen you see when you launch CafeTran. It is a drag and drop enabled interface that lets you organize some translation resources and create a new project or open existing ones.

To create a new project from the Dashboard, simply set the source and target language and click the New button or drag and drop the source file onto the Dashboard. For multiple projects, enable the Multiple document project option in the Dashboard menu button (☰) before doing so.

The Dashboard interface is further explained here.

The main translation interface is further explained here.

And an unofficial take (targeted at beginners) on quickly customizing CafeTran's interface to fit your needs (and aesthetics) can be found here.

[Edited at 2020-04-10 03:45 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Additional communication platforms Apr 10, 2020

Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Software/CafeTran-Espresso-354173844774807/?locale2=en_US

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/6747772

Mein BDÜ: F
... See more
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Software/CafeTran-Espresso-354173844774807/?locale2=en_US

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/6747772

Mein BDÜ: Fachkonferenzen > CafeTran Espresso, https://mein.bdue.de/viewforum.php?f=230

[Edited at 2020-04-10 04:04 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Thanks Apr 10, 2020

I've been thinking lately of renewing my default CAT tool (currently MemoQ, errr, 2013 R2). A newer contender on my computer is Trados 2019 (ufff) for agency reasons. It's been sitting there for many months, but I haven't been motivated enough yet to start learning about it and translating in it. I do make some progress though: I've set new shortcuts to suit my habits...

This offer may be an opportunity to try Cafetran while it's on (time and motivation allowing).
Therefore t
... See more
I've been thinking lately of renewing my default CAT tool (currently MemoQ, errr, 2013 R2). A newer contender on my computer is Trados 2019 (ufff) for agency reasons. It's been sitting there for many months, but I haven't been motivated enough yet to start learning about it and translating in it. I do make some progress though: I've set new shortcuts to suit my habits...

This offer may be an opportunity to try Cafetran while it's on (time and motivation allowing).
Therefore thanks for that.

Philippe
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Migrating from memoQ Apr 10, 2020

Philippe Etienne wrote:

I've been thinking lately of renewing my default CAT tool (currently MemoQ, errr, 2013 R2).

My memoQ is from 2015. I didn't pay the yearly update penalty anymore, after I migrated to CafeTran Espresso.

While CafeTran Espresso definitely can be configured to resemble memoQ (see: https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/338258-first_look_at_the_user_interfaces_of_several_cat_tools.html ), it has a different approach and different keyboard shortcuts. Most of the keyboard shortcuts can be changed, e.g. to map them with memoQ's keyboard shortcuts.

You can find the keyboard shortcuts here: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/blob/master/CafeTran%20Espresso%20-%201%20Preferences.md#keyboard-shortcuts

BTW: It should be possible to create a Preferences.xml file to apply to a plain vanilla CafeTran Espresso installation, in order to have memoQ-alike keyboard shortcuts ...

Philippe Etienne

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Very good but.... Apr 10, 2020

Very good. But for how long will this free access last?

I don't want to start working on some translation projects, using CafeTran, only to discover that the Coronavirus crisis is over and my free access has been terminated!

[Edited at 2020-04-10 09:10 GMT]

Ngoc Pham
expressisverbis
MollyRose
Marat Zhumagul
Victoria Kloppenburg
Aaron Baker

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Pushing it Apr 10, 2020

I’m being bombarded with emails from my bank and my utility providers and my supermarket and my pension provider and every business under the sun telling me all the wonderful things they’re kindly doing to help me through the pandemic. Clearly some of these things do help some customers, but it doesn’t seem overly cynical to conclude that for the most part they’re actually doing these things to help their own business through the crisis.

ProZ is now doing the same, and why n
... See more
I’m being bombarded with emails from my bank and my utility providers and my supermarket and my pension provider and every business under the sun telling me all the wonderful things they’re kindly doing to help me through the pandemic. Clearly some of these things do help some customers, but it doesn’t seem overly cynical to conclude that for the most part they’re actually doing these things to help their own business through the crisis.

ProZ is now doing the same, and why not, with discounted membership and temporary free access to a CAT tool. The very nature of these offers makes it clear that they are primarily business decisions. (For example, there are free CAT tools out there already, so why not steer members in that direction? The Cafetrans deal is clearly designed to get people hooked for when payments kick in. And who ever needed temporary access to a CAT tool anyway?!) Sure, some will benefit from this, and there is nothing wrong these offers as a business decision, but it is a bit of a stretch to portray the motives as purely altruistic rather than commercial.

If ProZ really wants something to shout about, how about doing something that won’t primarily benefit the business, something truly charitable, like making cash payments to members with no work?

[Edited at 2020-04-10 09:14 GMT]
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Tom in London
Morano El-Kholy
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Ulrich Eberhardt

Inna Iryskina
Inna Iryskina  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 21:31
Russian to Ukrainian
+ ...
If logged in already... Apr 10, 2020

Thank you for this great possibility! But if I have already connected my CafeTran to ProZ some time before, what should I do now to enable the unlimited version?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran is available to all ProZ.com paying members during Covid-19 pandemic

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »