Canada
Local time: 13:49
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Rather make image display optional Jan 23, 2020

Dr. Matthias Schauen wrote:

Please disable image posting in WIWO

I know, images are probably good for SEO, but in the WIWO feed on the main page they just take up space without offering significant information and they disrupt the readability of the page.

Perhaps a better idea would be an option whether or not to display the images on one's own feed. Some of us use the WIWO feed widget on our own websites and including pictures adds to the effectiveness of the feed.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 17:49
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Strange... Jan 23, 2020

I have never used this feature before, but I entered my username (expressisverbis) and my real name (Sandra Flor) in "What translators are working on", and I have found I am a German-English translator without knowing it
How can the same website have two members with the same username/name?
I'm worried now! Can someone explain me this, please?

[Edited at 2020-01-23 22:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-01-23 22:5
... See more
I have never used this feature before, but I entered my username (expressisverbis) and my real name (Sandra Flor) in "What translators are working on", and I have found I am a German-English translator without knowing it

[Edited at 2020-01-23 22:59 GMT]
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Images can be used precisely to draw attention to posts Jan 24, 2020

Hello Dr. Matthias,

While most WIWO posts don't include an image, as John correctly mentions, sometimes pictures add to the effectiveness of the feed, and the WIWO main page shouldn't be an exception. In fact, images are already re-sized to fit the feed width--they are even re-sized further in the new homepage.

Including images can be fun, but they can also be used to draw more attention to posts, especially from potential clients who use the service to see a clear reco
... See more
Hello Dr. Matthias,

While most WIWO posts don't include an image, as John correctly mentions, sometimes pictures add to the effectiveness of the feed, and the WIWO main page shouldn't be an exception. In fact, images are already re-sized to fit the feed width--they are even re-sized further in the new homepage.

Including images can be fun, but they can also be used to draw more attention to posts, especially from potential clients who use the service to see a clear record of the projects you have done.

So, for the time being, there are no planned adjustments to the way images appear in the main feed page. However, if changes are made, your suggestion will be considered. Thanks!

Lucia
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Only your profile shows up, expressisverbis Jan 24, 2020

Hi Sandra,

expressisverbis wrote:

Searching for both, your name and your username, in WIWO and in our internal records, only brings your profile back as a result (and while two users may have the same real name, usernames cannot be re-used). So, in order to look into this further --and avoid drifting from the posted topic-- please submit a support request with screenshots of what you see so that support staff can check. Thanks in advance!

Lucia

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 17:49
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Many thanks. Jan 24, 2020

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hi Sandra,

expressisverbis wrote:

Searching for both, your name and your username, in WIWO and in our internal records, only brings your profile back as a result (and while two users may have the same real name, usernames cannot be re-used). So, in order to look into this further --and avoid drifting from the posted topic-- please submit a support request with screenshots of what you see so that support staff can check. Thanks in advance!

Lucia

Hi Lucia,
I already did it. Many thanks.
It would be very hard to find someone here with the same name as mine, I'm Portuguese and the other member is not.
I also find it strange regarding the username; it can't be re-used as you mention.
Thanks once again!

[Edited at 2020-01-24 15:06 GMT]

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:49
Member (2007)
English to German
Images Jan 24, 2020

Lucia, I see where you and John are coming from, but a) I stand with my earlier comment that the images disrupt the layout and readability of the main page for me and b) I do not see how the images usually posted in the feed add any effectiveness, except for them being images and as such possibly raising some PageRank measure.

I suggest to use John's idea to make image display in the feed optional. Do I need to post this separately?

The other solution for me is to dis
... See more
Lucia, I see where you and John are coming from, but a) I stand with my earlier comment that the images disrupt the layout and readability of the main page for me and b) I do not see how the images usually posted in the feed add any effectiveness, except for them being images and as such possibly raising some PageRank measure.

I suggest to use John's idea to make image display in the feed optional. Do I need to post this separately?

The other solution for me is to disable the feed on my main page. Which would not be a big loss for me: As you said, seeing this is mainly for fun, and if it's no more fun, I can just skip it.
Collapse

Sanjin Grandić
Sanjin Grandić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2020)
French to Croatian
+ ...
To be used with moderation. Mar 30, 2020

This feature may be a powerful tool for self-promotion and there is nothing wrong with this. On the contrary. We all deserve credit for our work. The thing is not to EVER give any details about the specificities of the translations (when in doubt say NO) plus it is not a place to compete but to self-promote and a certain balance will have to be established, eventually.

[Edited at 2020-03-30 00:21 GMT]

Jennifer White
Alice Crisan
Erzsébet Czopyk

Argyro Alykatora
Argyro Alykatora  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:49
Member (2009)
English to Greek
+ ...
Is there a way to extract this list or get this connected with our other websites? Jun 10, 2020

Hi guys,

I have not done a great deal of research for this feature but I was wondering if there is a way to extract this list of daily tasks to use in other websites or connect this feature with our other websites like LinkedIn? It would be more useful in that way I think!

Elena Feriani
Antoine Wicquart

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Visitor count of WIWO page May 26, 2021

I add a link to this page to my application emails sometimes, so I would appreciate getting the visitor count for this page as well.

allthingsgo

allthingsgo
allthingsgo
Chinese to English
+ ...
WIWO - upload file format Jun 8, 2021

Can we add .pdf to the list?

allthingsgo
allthingsgo
Chinese to English
+ ...
I partially agree with imagery about WIWO- but what about longer .pdf file? ( the starting line..) Jun 8, 2021

Dr. Matthias Schauen wrote:

I know, images are probably good for SEO, but in the WIWO feed on the main page they just take up space without offering significant information and they disrupt the readability of the page.

Sanjin Grandić
Sanjin Grandić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2020)
French to Croatian
+ ...
Still useful after all these years! Jul 27, 2023

This feature is one of the key features for new linguists and members that paid full membership and rightfully expect a ROI
and they will not be deceived.

Operating from proz.com as the main platform, you, the new kid in town, you need at least another language site to operate on and this would be Translatorscafe and since you will pay your bills with your translations you are a professional so you need a LinkedIn to connect to see and be seen in the business world and as last
... See more
This feature is one of the key features for new linguists and members that paid full membership and rightfully expect a ROI
and they will not be deceived.

Operating from proz.com as the main platform, you, the new kid in town, you need at least another language site to operate on and this would be Translatorscafe and since you will pay your bills with your translations you are a professional so you need a LinkedIn to connect to see and be seen in the business world and as last but not least the Facebook.

When these four platform work in concert, in synergy for you, you will soon become digitally more and more visible and that is what you want.

The days of pasting flyers on metro and bus stations are over but it is far more comfortable to manage your four platforms
from home than to walk from station to station and paste the “XYZ Ultrapar Translations” or similar.-:)

If you want to achieve what is imperative to get noticed, you can do it in six months to a year by being hyperactive on your platforms besides the profiles.

This is why it is important to post all you are working on 5beware of the NDA, though.

If you are a new translator with a thin portfolio and a two names client list then you have to use all the possible features
to achieve what I call “high overall digital visibility ©”

How fast you will make your digital brand for you depends on how active you are going to be in terminology help which demonstrates how good you really are as a translator and I spoke with a few of my regular customers and when I asked them how do they select people to be their new translator, the answer is unanimous, digital dust.

So be consistent in your writing across the platforms and be active.

Also, you have one day left to participate in a translation contest on this site.

https://www.proz.com/translation-contests/85

Also, I wrote something yesterday in the proz.com Facebook group but in fat I think it will be more useful here because new members are arriving at a daily basis which is a lot of people searching for ACTUAL information about rates, and ruses de guérre of this line of work.

BTW, if you are slow and you do not LOVE languages you better search another line of business.

This freelance business requires sheers will, patience and an enormous energy investment into your digital presence.

If you want to be seen you have to shine, not just be a little illuminated to use a metaphor.

I hope that you will find the text below useful.

Best of luck....

Nikola Keller
Najaktivniji suradnik

Indeed, having a suitable academic background is beneficial, but having the right mindset for a translator/interpreter is even more crucial.

To use a French phrase in English. it is super is beneficial to possess that “je ne sais quoi” not only to become but also to remain a freelance translator.
Humorously enough, when the clients mention needing someone with an eye for detail, add an “eye” that can stay open for 36–48 hours if needed.
Sheer will, patience, and a paramount strategy in terms of client acquisition are crucial. And trust me, you want to have the best possible strategy in that department because you can be the best and fastest, but without digital visibility, it's useless.

You must master basic techniques and meet some basic requirements if you want clients to contact you in their inbox or call you on the phone, preferably a landline.

I have three main regular clients, one of whom I knew before, and the other two called me on the landline listed with my address on my profiles and in the signature block, which is also very important.

So yes, having a landline/fax, actual address, and picture on your business profile are the holy trinity regarding client acquisition.

Imagine you have a project to translate, it's critical to you, and you come to the proz.com directory, and then, for example, you have three (keeping it simple) translators that are perfect for the job.

The first one is with a childish avatar, a mobile phone, and a note that he lives in France.

The second translator has a picture; he is nice but has no address or mobile, only email.

The third one has a picture, a verified accurate address, and a landline that ties him to his actual address, and that's the first anti-scam step for every client.

Which one would you choose? The project must be translated by tomorrow afternoon at 17:00.

My two main regular end clients first called me on my landline, not my mobile.

Do you see where I am going with this?

The more transparent and accessible you are to the client, the greater the chance they will select you.

Of course, there are tons of tiny but extremely important things, and then when you set up all your resources to work in synergy, you won't have to send a single mailing in your life.

I started in 1991 when there was a war and tons of foreign journalists in Zagreb when ex-Yugoslavia collapsed. I have never sent a single mailing in my life. And that should be the goal of every serious freelance linguist because, for success, you only need two or three regular clients, not 336.

I wrote several times how to organize it, so sites like proz.com work for you 24h24 even when you sleep. I know it sounds strange. Yet, you will have four platforms to work on if you organize yourself and complete your profiles on dedicated sites (z.com and translatorscafe, plus LinkedIn and Facebook.

It is your activity and yours alone on these platforms that is essential. Your profiles. Your activities.

Being very, very active on the dedicated terminology help section is one of the crucial activities.

There are also clients on proz.com and other platforms, not only competition.

You n e v e r know who is reading you, so better to write less in the beginning than to paraphrase.

Your future client might be reading your posts. Tracking your activity on terminology helps the client to see if you are as good as advertised.

I know so because I ask all my clients how they found me and why they selected me, not “Martin Dupont.” The answer is always the same: my online activity, especially in terminology help, translation contests, etc…

Et voilà.

See you next time-remember proz.com alone offers more than 50 features that can help you create yourself and your brand.

The sooner you start, the sooner you will start earning experience and money......
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing a new "What I am working on" feature

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »