Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Announcing a new "What I am working on" feature
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 14:18
SITE STAFF
You can activate the visibility of the "What I am working on" section of your profile Aug 8, 2016

There is a section of your profile called "What I am working on" (just below the Project History section) that will show your previous entries. There is a toggle for visibility, set to "hidden" as a default.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 18:18
English to German
In memoriam
Thanks! Aug 8, 2016

Jared Tabor wrote:

There is a section of your profile called "What I am working on" (just below the Project History section) that will show your previous entries. There is a toggle for visibility, set to "hidden" as a default.

Thanks for this, Jared. Never knew about the meaning of this icon. Still, this fact could be mentioned in the help text.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:18
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Very good, thanks Aug 8, 2016

Jared Tabor wrote:

Very good, thanks, I also never knew what that toggle meant.

SnipImage

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Project History: already exists, and it is an excellent feature - do people know about it? Aug 8, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:

John Fossey wrote:

Is there a way for WIWO entries to be shown on our profile?

Especially if they showed as a compact list with dates.

Of course people do have to be careful about confidentiality, but if they are completely generic - 'updating a website' or 'protocol for a clinical trial' or 'articles of association', even the most paranoid clients cannot seriously claim they reveal anything confidential.

On the other hand, they do give an idea of what kind of work a particular translator takes on, and this is important in our marketing.

When Henry brought up this idea in the "Certified Pro" forum, and asked for opinions, many concerns, similar to those brought up here, came up.
The following is what I wrote there:

Instead of this, look at what we already have --- Jul 8

My personal opinion is:
1. I have no interest in yet another social media type noise-source, so I would turn off all notifications of this immediately.
2. I cannot imagine any translator would have an interest in reading dry, Twitter-style posts about others' vaguely described projects (due to NDAs), especially that those could be made up things, posted just to get their name linked with certain keywords for search engines.
3. As I said in #2, the only real incentive to participate in this is to get one's name linked with certain keywords for search engines, whether general or ProZ-specific, and as a result, get connected with clients who are looking for certain expertise. This is not a bad idea,
---HOWEVER---
There is already a good feature for that at ProZ.com, the "Project History" part of our Profile page.
http://www.proz.com/faq/2563#2563

Perhaps it is not getting used enough, but it has a good format, a place for client feedback and a corroboration feature where the projects can actually be verified. That info is much more valuable for a client, IMHO, than a short social media style post with no sufficient details.

One thing though: I don't think it is working as described in the FAQ, specifically this part:

14.13 - How does my project history affect how I am shown in the directory?

When a client searches for a translator in a specific language and field and your name is found, the number of *corroborated* projects you have in that field will be shown.

I tested this in the Advanced Directory, and the number of my corroborated projects is not shown anywhere, even though they are all set to public and match the exact field I searched for.

My suggestion would be to fix the existing Project History feature so that it does show up in the directory searches, perhaps promote it site-wise so that translators could fill in their list with more projects, and if you want to add additional search functions for clients, do it based on that info.

I think it would be a much better use of development time, rather than what you seem to be doing now: going around with the proverbial hammer trying to find the proverbial nail.

If you want to introduce social media style features, then please tweak the existing forums with a "like" button and image posting capability - both had been requested repeatedly for ages.

Katalin

[Edited at 2016-08-08 15:12 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Katalin Aug 8, 2016

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:
2. I cannot imagine any translator would have an interest in reading dry, Twitter-style posts about others' vaguely described projects (due to NDAs), especially that those could be made up things, posted just to get their name linked with certain keywords for search engines.
---HOWEVER---
There is already a good feature for that at ProZ.com, the "Project History" part of our Profile page.

Project History form versus WIWO form:

I'm with Tom on this one, though: it's surprising how interesting it is. My opinion would have been the same as yours, if I hadn't seen it in action.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Corroboration may be more valuable as a reference, but I would not ask for it Aug 8, 2016

I looked at the project history thing, and decided it does not really fit my pattern of working.

Most of the jobs I do are too small, and they go through agencies. I would not ask them to corroborate, and many clients would probably not want to anyway.

I would not keep the WIWO updated - some days I work on three or four jobs! But a cross section would be interesting.

Thanks, Jared, I will make it visible straight away!

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
User friendliness Aug 8, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:
Project History form versus WIWO form:

Samuel, if you remember, my next comment on that thread on the "Red P" forum was about the user-friendliness of the Project History form. (I suggested to make it more user-friendly).
I think the reason for having pull-down lists and such in the Project History form is to ensure proper categorization to aid the search function, which was the idea behind the whole thing - as explained in the FAQ: when clients search the directory, the number of corroborated projects in the area the client is searching would show up next to the translator's name.
I say "would", because it is not working - as I indicated to Henry in that thread.
I think there is a huge value in the corroboration feature (which is optional, by the way, Christine).
It provides proof that the translator actually did that project.
Henry said they would need to make this feature to "square up" with the Project History. I am not sure what that meant, but I think if they want to make it searchable in a meaningful way, there would have to be category fields, language pair indications, project size indication, etc. in some sort of standardized form, which will make the input form more detailed.

EDIT: I just saw, after posting, that Samuel does not have the Red P, so he did not see that thread. In the Quote form here on the forum, only the names of the previous posters are shown, not the complete info, so it is impossible to know whether somebody has the "P". (Why is that, BTW?) I remembered Samuel had it at some point, but maybe I am wrong.

[Edited at 2016-08-08 17:42 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My red P Aug 8, 2016

(Why is that, BTW?) I remembered Samuel had it at some point, but maybe I am wrong.

I was offered the red P way back at the very, very beginning, but I did not like the wording of the "professional guidelines" which was a requirement for the initial red P members, and so I lost out on a great opportunity due to sticking to silly principles. So I'm definitely red P material... I just don't have a time machine.

Tatiana Kochegarova
Tatiana Kochegarova  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Really Great! Aug 9, 2016

It's such a great feature! It is sort of inspiring to see what my fellow translators around the world are working on!

Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha
Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:18
English to Indonesian
Like Aug 9, 2016

A like button would be a nice addition, as well as the ability to filter by language pairs, likes, etc.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Could we have a bigger window for checking the text, please? Aug 9, 2016

... Or is it possible to enlarge it? I admit I did not try.

The one-line window with large print only shows part of the entry, so it is hard to see what it will really look like.

A window that by default allows the maximum number of lines available would be practical, please.

Stephanie Busch
Stephanie Busch  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
OT: Obtaining the red P Aug 9, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

(Why is that, BTW?) I remembered Samuel had it at some point, but maybe I am wrong.

I was offered the red P way back at the very, very beginning, but I did not like the wording of the "professional guidelines" which was a requirement for the initial red P members, and so I lost out on a great opportunity due to sticking to silly principles. So I'm definitely red P material... I just don't have a time machine.

You don't need to be offered the red P; I think this was only the case in the beginning, when there weren't enough red P members available for performing peer reviews.

It is perfectly possible to apply at any time - see #40 of the ProZ.com Certified PRO program FAQ:

http://www.proz.com/faq/5140#5140

Though of course you'd still need to endorse the current version of the professional guidelines:

http://www.proz.com/professional-guidelines?pg_version=1.1

Paulo Caldeira
Paulo Caldeira  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I like the tool, but... Aug 10, 2016

1. What is the reply feature for? I won't to reply for anyone jobs.
2. How to embed this on a personalize profile?
3. Why should I post a photo?

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Dear members,

​I am pleased to announce the release of the new ProZ.com "What I am working on" feature!

http://www.proz.com/wiwo/

This feature --tested over the last few weeks by members of the Certified PRO Network and others-- gives ProZ.com members a convenient way to share descriptions of the projects that they are working on. Translators are already using it to share interesting projects, thereby letting colleagues and potential clients know the type of work they do, while establishing a track record of the projects they have done.

To learn about this feature and to see project descriptions that have been shared publicly, visit http://www.proz.com/wiwo/

On behalf of the site team, I would like to thank those members who took time out of their schedules to help test and refine this feature. Further feedback and suggestions would of course be welcome.

So, ProZ.com members: What are you working on now? Please share! https://www.proz.com/wiwo/

Kind regards,

Lucia

c4be1b54-de3d-11e5-82a6-80288712e174

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 14:18
SITE STAFF
Replies, feeds, and images Aug 10, 2016

Hi Paulo,

Paulo Caldeira wrote:

1. What is the reply feature for? I won't to reply for anyone jobs.
2. How to embed this on a personalize profile?
3. Why should I post a photo?

1. The reply feature is just one possible way of reacting to a "What I am working on" post. Other ways of reacting to a post may also be introduced (being able to "like" a post, etc.).

2. Eventually there may be a way to embed a "What I am working on" feed. Right now, posts you have made can be shown in your ProZ.com profile (see my post above).

3. Images are optional. So far, images have been used to visually represent the project being worked on, or show where one is working. They can provide an interesting supplement to the text of a post.

Jared

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:18
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Same here Aug 11, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

Same here. I am an ex-Red P. I have been told that if I want it back I have to apply and go through a process. But before, I didn't have to do anything. I just got it. Since I'm the kind of person who hates applying for things and going through processes, I haven't tried to get it back.

[Edited at 2016-08-11 08:47 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing a new "What I am working on" feature

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »