Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
How likely is it to get work with a free account?
Thread poster: Sara Garcia
Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:54
English to Dutch
+ ...
@ Samuel Jan 17, 2017

I did get that - I was merely agreeing to and following up on your comment. To me, lack of quality is as much - if not more - an issue when it comes to attracting clients than lack of detail.

fairylight
fairylight  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Russian
+ ...
6 month long membership Jan 17, 2017

Hi,

I'm also in a very financially tight situation atm and just discovered through this thread that there is 6 months membership, and I could really use that! However, when I click the link for membership payment I do not see the 6 month option, only full year membership. How can I access it?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:54
SITE FOUNDER
The 6-month option is not available anymore Jan 18, 2017

Irina Risnik wrote:

Hi,

I'm also in a very financially tight situation atm and just discovered through this thread that there is 6 months membership, and I could really use that! However, when I click the link for membership payment I do not see the 6 month option, only full year membership. How can I access it?

Hi Irina,

We have simplified our membership offerings, removing the smattering of "partial" and short-term options, priced in various currencies, that we had previously -- it was just too much hassle. So I am sorry, but the 6-month option is no longer available.

On the other hand, we do offer a "satisfaction guarantee", through which you are entitled to a prorated refund of your membership investment if you are dissatisfied for any reason. I hope you will consider membership!

fairylight
fairylight  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Russian
+ ...
thank you for the update Jan 19, 2017

Thank you, Henry,

I'll be purchasing membership as soon as I'm able to.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
I guess Jan 21, 2017

Some $120 a year is about just $10 a month, which is not that expensive, providing such investment would trigger a competitive recovery.

Whatever the costs, a half-year offer would be even more affordable, not to mention that six months (180 days) deal seems more serious, more business-oriented than a “30 days money back guarantee”.

Anyway, if the option was cancelled, then it was not profitable–either for translators or ProZ.
Makes sense to diversify via c
... See more
Some $120 a year is about just $10 a month, which is not that expensive, providing such investment would trigger a competitive recovery.

Whatever the costs, a half-year offer would be even more affordable, not to mention that six months (180 days) deal seems more serious, more business-oriented than a “30 days money back guarantee”.

Anyway, if the option was cancelled, then it was not profitable–either for translators or ProZ.
Makes sense to diversify via checking not only different option, but also different places.

Cheers
Collapse

niko12345
niko12345
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:54
Russian to English
+ ...
Question Jul 30, 2017

Just a quick question: if you have joined and you hvae a free account, can you apply for jobs or not?

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:54
French to English
Quick answer! Jul 31, 2017

yes!

Enrique Manzo
Enrique Manzo
SITE STAFF
Only ProZ.com members can submit quotes on job postings Jul 31, 2017

niko12345 wrote:

Just a quick question: if you have joined and you hvae a free account, can you apply for jobs or not?

Hello niko12345:

In order to submit a quote through the job posting platform, you need to be a ProZ.com member. You can read this FAQ about it: http://www.proz.com/faq/3208#3208 . You can still receive job offers through the directory regardless of whether your are a (paying) member or not. You can check the following FAQ section: http://www.proz.com/faq/3133#3133 .

Also, job posters may choose to restrict their job postings to service providers who meet a certain criteria: language pairs, native language, membership status, country of residence, CAT tools, and so on. You can find more information about this at http://www.proz.com/faq/3181#3181

Finally, remember that having a complete profile, a membership, obtaining KudoZ PRO points and specializing in certain areas of expertise will increase your chances of obtaining jobs at ProZ.com. You can find more information at http://www.proz.com/faq/101632#101632

Please, let me know if you need more information about ProZ.com jobs platform.

Regards,

Enrique Manzo
ProZ.com Staff

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Niko Aug 1, 2017

niko12345 wrote:
If you have joined and you have a free account, can you apply for jobs or not?

Only paying members can use the "submit quote" a.k.a. bidding feature, but all members (paying and free) are allowed to contact clients/agencies by e-mail or via the agency's web site.

Take a look at the relevant FAQ answer related to this issue:

2.26 - Should I use the quote form to express my interest in a job, or should I write to the client directly?

(1) You should follow the client's direction. When none is given, use the quoting form. (2) You should never contact a client directly, or call, if the client asks that you do not. ... If ProZ.com staff receives complaints of a user contacting an outsourcer directly, against that clients' instructions, the user's profile may be limited or removed.

If the job post specifically states that the client does not want to be contacted by e-mail regarding the job, then you must not contact the client regarding that job. However, if the client is a translation agency and if they have a web site on which they list their contact details (and possibly also invite freelancers to contact them), then you are free to contact them as you would any other agency, as long as you are very careful not to create the impression that you're actually responding to the job post. If both the agency and ProZ.com staff believe that your mail is a response to a job post in which the client specifically asked not to be contacted by mail, then you could lose your membership.

However, in many cases the client does not specifically state that they do not wish to be contacted via e-mail, and I'm really not able to give any advice about what to do in such cases.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
What really matters is being visible, but subscribing boosts your visibility Aug 1, 2017

There are lots of active members on this site who say they get jobs, although I can see they do not subscribe. I am sometimes surprised to see from the portraits with their contributions that they are not paying members.

In short, sensible contributions to the forums and especially to KudoZ will show potential clients who you are and how you work. Clients are more likely to think of you when looking for a translator with your languages. Even when you pay, you have to stand out from
... See more
There are lots of active members on this site who say they get jobs, although I can see they do not subscribe. I am sometimes surprised to see from the portraits with their contributions that they are not paying members.

In short, sensible contributions to the forums and especially to KudoZ will show potential clients who you are and how you work. Clients are more likely to think of you when looking for a translator with your languages. Even when you pay, you have to stand out from among all the other paying members.

There is no simple magic formula, but it makes you more visible when you start to subscribe, simply because you move up in the directories. Whether you only move to the last page of paying members, i.e. not very far, or whether you actually come close to the top of the list depends on your activity.

The combination of being active on the site, showing that you really are good at what you do, and paying to use more of the facilities is an investment that pays off for many people. The first job I was offered after I paid covered my subscription for the first year, and the client was one of my best regular clients for several years.
Collapse

Jean Chrétien Bonfils

Tradupro17
Tradupro17
United States
Local time: 16:54
English to Haitian-Creole
+ ...
getting a job as a non-paying member Aug 1, 2017

I am also wondering about the possibilities of getting work on this site as a non-paying member. Since I joined the site, all I have been getting so far are scam emails, so I am a little reluctant when it comes to invest any money buying membership.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How likely is it to get work with a free account?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »