Dealing with a non payer - agency in Canada.
Thread poster: Marie Claude Etoc
Marie Claude Etoc
Marie Claude Etoc  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:31
French to English
+ ...
Dec 7, 2017

I have been a member of Proz.com since 2010 and recently upgraded my membership and I am very disappointed on how long it takes to get a response even with having sent support documents, evidence all the e-mail correspondence between the agency and myself and given no feedback as to how I can activate a negative entry on this agency in order to be paid and to alert other paying member translators.

The site says translators can post BlueBoard entries on translation agencies profiles
... See more
I have been a member of Proz.com since 2010 and recently upgraded my membership and I am very disappointed on how long it takes to get a response even with having sent support documents, evidence all the e-mail correspondence between the agency and myself and given no feedback as to how I can activate a negative entry on this agency in order to be paid and to alert other paying member translators.

The site says translators can post BlueBoard entries on translation agencies profiles to let other tranlators know of their experience with such agencies. But that's not true. Proz.com blocks negatives entries, especially feedback reporting non-payment. I have been scammed by a translation agency and Proz.com doesn't allow me to report it.
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:31
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The story is different, though Dec 7, 2017

Based on this---
https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/321049-dealing_with_a_non_payer_agency_in_canada.html

---there was a quality complaint made by the client, and according to the BB rules, then you cannot post a negative entry in that case.
Whether the complaint is valid, and was made in time, that is another qu
... See more
Based on this---
https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/321049-dealing_with_a_non_payer_agency_in_canada.html

---there was a quality complaint made by the client, and according to the BB rules, then you cannot post a negative entry in that case.
Whether the complaint is valid, and was made in time, that is another question, and that is something that ProZ may investigate, but in the meantime they remove the entry, as far as I know.
Collapse

Marie Claude Etoc
Marie Claude Etoc  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:31
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Quality Complaints Made Dec 7, 2017

The client made no complaints only when I followed up with payment being past due I was told that edits were made and that I would be paid in another 30 days.

Farzad Akmali
Farzad Akmali  Identity Verified
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
They usually follow up with the payment, while not supposed to do so! Dec 7, 2017

Dear Marie,

Hope you get the money soon!

Actually, there were times when I had to post negative entries and they were approved and received the money shortly after the entry, almost in all case Proz staff contacted the non-payment outsourcers to make them pay while according to Proz policies, they take no liabilities against non-payers.

Maybe you need to ask the staff for explanation or submit a support ticket.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:31
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Confusing comments Dec 7, 2017

Marie Claude Etoc wrote:

The client made no complaints only when I followed up with payment being past due I was told that edits were made

What does it mean "I was told that edits were made"?
Does it mean they were not happy with your translation and had to do extra editing that was not part of the original plan? (This would constitute a quality complaint, albeit later than it would normally be accepted.)

Or does it mean they were OK with the translation but they normally include an editing step (that they did not tell you about) and that causes delay in their payment? (There is no quality complaint in this case.)

It is unclear from your description of the situation (both here and the other thread in the other forum) which case it is - and if this is how you described the situation in your BB entry, I understand how it could have been confusing to ProZ staff as well.

and that I would be paid in another 30 days.

OK, so they have not disappeared (that would be scam), did not refuse payment, did not demand a discount, just told you the payment will be late, correct?

By the way, this:
how I can activate a negative entry on this agency in order to be paid

would technically be against BB rule #9:
9 The Blue Board may not be used to coerce.
Using the Blue Board, or threatening to use the Blue Board, in such a way as to pressure an outsourcer or service provider into taking some action, is strictly prohibited.

Katalin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dealing with a non payer - agency in Canada.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »