Thread poster: Stéphanie Bellumat
Stéphanie Bellumat
Stéphanie Bellumat
Local time: 06:04
English to French
+ ...
Nov 14, 2018

Dear colleagues,

Has any of you followed such course and what did you think about it, especially the one offered by TAUS through the Proz.com portal?
Do you think a translator/revisor with more than 2O years of experience who uses CAT tools would learn something new in this course?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Stephanie

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:04
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You'd learn something Nov 15, 2018

Stéphanie Bellumat wrote:
Do you think a translator/revisor with more than 2O years of experience who uses CAT tools would learn something new in this course?

My experience of PEMT (just the one job) makes me think that you'd learn to accept the fact that you'd have to deliver a sub-standard product or work for peanuts. Do you want to do either? I settled for earning peanuts, but even then I wasn't happy with the quality I delivered. It's a lose-lose scenario for us .

Mirko Mainardi

Stéphanie Bellumat
Stéphanie Bellumat
Local time: 06:04
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sheila for your answer! Not many reactions on the forum unfortunately. Nov 28, 2018

Sheila Wilson wrote:

My experience of PEMT (just the one job) makes me think that you'd learn to accept the fact that you'd have to deliver a sub-standard product or work for peanuts. Do you want to do either? I settled for earning peanuts, but even then I wasn't happy with the quality I delivered. It's a lose-lose scenario for us .

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I'd say go for it Nov 28, 2018

Hello Stéphanie,

I have completed the TAUS course some while ago (directly via the TAUS website). I know it has been refreshed since, and I can't talk about the current content, but I've definitely found the previous edition to be worth the investment (I'm speaking in terms of knowledge and understanding, not ROI).

I would suggest you take this course with a critical eye, though, as it is carried by MT evangelists. After all, TAUS stands short for "Translation Automati
... See more
Hello Stéphanie,

I have completed the TAUS course some while ago (directly via the TAUS website). I know it has been refreshed since, and I can't talk about the current content, but I've definitely found the previous edition to be worth the investment (I'm speaking in terms of knowledge and understanding, not ROI).

I would suggest you take this course with a critical eye, though, as it is carried by MT evangelists. After all, TAUS stands short for "Translation Automation User Society".

I have myself decided against offering post-editing services, for various reasons, the most important being that I want to take a stand, focus on translation [need I add "human" to that? There is currently no other translation in the way I understand it: we don't just translate words, but their meaning in context] and keep tackling the higher-end market, although I include MT as one the various resources I use (along with bilingual concordancers, dictionaries, TMs, glossaries, etc.)

Also, as I have written somewhere else, keep in mind that Post-editing must be done right, otherwise is it just exploitation in disguise: source material must be appropriate for machine translation, the MT output needs to require relatively few edits to meet the quality goal, etc. Some translation agencies are just as clueless when it comes to post-editing as the translators they use to post-edit their client’s materials.

MTPE is a largely different kind of linguistic service. It requires different skills, a different mindset... I don't know how it can fit with someone with your experience.

I think one ought to make their own idea on the subject, and this training course certainly helps in that respect.

Does the training available here on ProZ provide the same up-to-date content as the one offered at the TAUS website? This is the impression I got, but you might need to double-check this yourself.

Here, you can also find a webinar titled: "A TAUS Webinar: Sneak peek into our Post-Editing course" - http://www.proz.com/videos/4882-a-taus-webinar-sneak-peek-into-our-post-editing-course Maybe it can offer some additional information that will help you make up your mind.

Jean

[Edited at 2018-11-28 20:04 GMT]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Advice thought on online MT post-editing/reviewing course

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »