Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How do you respond to a query that asks for your "best rate"?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:53
Japanese to English
+ ...
Best rate Jul 18, 2019

I completely ignore this type of query.

[Edited at 2019-07-18 00:39 GMT]

Josephine Cassar
Antonio Tomás Lessa do Amaral

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:53
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It depends on the rest of the mail Jul 18, 2019

I sometimes mutter a bit, but like Samuel, in some cases at least, I reckon that it is simply a phrase.

No one ever sends their second-best regards, or they would not admit it anyway.

I check the Blue Board and the website, and if the client looks reliable, I quote a realistic rate (the best way to get me to do the job ), and that is
... See more
I sometimes mutter a bit, but like Samuel, in some cases at least, I reckon that it is simply a phrase.

No one ever sends their second-best regards, or they would not admit it anyway.

I check the Blue Board and the website, and if the client looks reliable, I quote a realistic rate (the best way to get me to do the job ), and that is that.
It never does any harm to let clients know what translation really costs.
Collapse

Nikolay Novitskiy
Diana Obermeyer

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:53
Member (2018)
English to Russian
The lowest rate possible Jul 19, 2019

I send them the lowest rate possible, like 0.01-0.03 USD / word, just to gather info about them, their clients, their way of doing business, etc. Business is war, and such agencies are enemies. There is nothig bad in learning about your enemy.

And of course I never work for them. Meh.

Jorge Payan

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
What do you mean "best rate" Jul 19, 2019

Christine Andersen wrote:

No one ever sends their second-best regards, or they would not admit it anyway. ...

I can't agree Christine IMO it's not simply a phrase, at least when it comes from agencies - and I don't think any direct client has ever asked me for the "best" rate. If direct clients expected to work with me and only had a certain budget, they were describing their situation quite differently.

"Best rate" means "cheapest rate you can possibly give me." It's an insult (IMO) and unprofessional behavior. So I react accordingly .... I don't (anymore). ... Or you could reply: What do you mean "best rate?" and wait for the answer, which probably won't come.

I see the phrase "Best regards" as at least a friendly and respectful phrase and if I use it I mean to be positive and friendly. Don't get that feeling from "best rate."

Anyway, I don't lose any sleep over it (anymore) It's used by cheap agencies. So, nothing lost.

Interestingly, the poll shows that more than 70% reply with quoting their regular rate(s). But that's another discussion.

[Edited at 2019-07-19 18:26 GMT]

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 01:53
English to Russian
+ ...
Funny Jul 20, 2019

Searching for best rates is what we do day in, day out. How come it's not considered an insult when we are looking for the cheapest house repair estimate, best sales, discounts, shopping in cheap countries on vacations, even free stuff, including free invoicing systems for freelancers, for example:-). We even go to the half-price book stores and book stands at the flea markets for works of geniuses! We just use different semantics and feel nobler than a cheap client seeking translation... See more
Searching for best rates is what we do day in, day out. How come it's not considered an insult when we are looking for the cheapest house repair estimate, best sales, discounts, shopping in cheap countries on vacations, even free stuff, including free invoicing systems for freelancers, for example:-). We even go to the half-price book stores and book stands at the flea markets for works of geniuses! We just use different semantics and feel nobler than a cheap client seeking translation. No one took away our right to pick the best and most expensive quality but it's a choice, not an obligation.

They can ask, we can answer, negotiate or ignore. It should be admitted that in our trade the subject carries a negative flavor almost by definition, and there is a good reason to ignore an offer completely. But what is the big deal in principle? The thing is - they have a right to ask, as they should, if we want to keep the free market alive. We can't be outraged just because the market does to us as we do to market. Everyone is trying to save a nickel.

I've lived under many regulations for many years. Thanks, but no, thanks.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:53
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Don't be angry, don't ignore Jul 20, 2019

Many clients or potential clients do that regularly. Perhaps they don't even notice it.
The solution for this is very simple = Your best rate, your worse rate and your regular rate are exactly the same.
Problem solved.

Jorge Payan
IrinaN
Adam Warren

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Not funny Jul 22, 2019

IrinaN wrote:

Searching for best rates is what we do day in, day out. ..."

Try to get a doctor or lawyer to work for the "best rates" in the translation market.
Don't you agree that translating is intellectual work that is comparable to other highly-skilled professions and must be paid adequately. If not, you might as well work as a store clerk (nothing against store clerks).

IrinaN wrote:
They can ask, we can answer, negotiate or ignore. It should be admitted that in our trade the subject carries a negative flavor almost by definition, and there is a good reason to ignore an offer completely. But what is the big deal in principle? The thing is - they have a right to ask, as they should, if we want to keep the free market alive.

Working for "best rates" doesn't keep the free market alive. It ruins our profession. It drives it into the ground. And it's the fault of the people who do work for such rates. (IMO)

IrinaN wrote:
We can't be outraged just because the market does to us as we do to market. Everyone is trying to save a nickel.

Sure I can be outraged. And I am. And I am not doing the same to the market. Don't agree with you.

IrinaN wrote:
I've lived under many regulations for many years. Thanks, but no, thanks.

Freedom doesn't mean you must work for best rates because someone is trying to dictate it. It's scary how little some people know about this industry when they enter it. Many come here and ask questions. But often they seem to be simply unfazed by the developments. Just check.

Here is a link to a related thread:
https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/284186-003_rush_rate_over_100_great_blueboard_reviews.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you respond to a query that asks for your "best rate"?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »