Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which CAT tool do you use the most?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mirja Maletzki
Mirja Maletzki  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:44
Korean to German
+ ...
Same! Aug 31, 2017

Diarmuid Kennan wrote:

Yes, it would be interesting to track usage trends over time. I only use Trados, but I have noticed a growing number of my clients are switching to MemoQ. The good news is that the CAT tools seem to be increasingly compatible, so in the future, it may be irrelevant which tool you use.

I just wanted to write the same. When given the choice, I use Trados but more and more of my clients started switching over to MemoQ about... two years ago, maybe? Maybe three.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:44
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I see the same trend Aug 31, 2017

Diarmuid Kennan wrote:
Yes, it would be interesting to track usage trends over time. I only use Trados, but I have noticed a growing number of my clients are switching to MemoQ. The good news is that the CAT tools seem to be increasingly compatible, so in the future, it may be irrelevant which tool you use.

I'm also noticing this trend. I was actually one of the first ones to change. I started with Trados, but I figure the main purpose of a CAT is saving time, which Trados does not really allow with so many features and resources. I ended up not saving time with Trados, whereas MemoQ saves me almost 50% of my time and more than 50% of my typing. That's a real CAT!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 18:44
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I pay happily for service Aug 31, 2017

DarwinE wrote:
After graduation when I had my choice of the three, guess which one I picked? As a student fresh out of college, ready to tackle on my accrued debt?

MateCAT does just what I needed it to do, for the kind of tasks I'm assigned. Nothing extraordinarily high-tech. And it's free. I will never pay for Trados, not even with the group buy discount.

Of course, I am at the other end of my career, pension secured and able to pick and choose what work I take on. So I can afford to pay for software - and I find Trados is worth every cent. I am not blaming DarwinE or others with the same attitude. I remember struggling through the lean years, so it is a good thing there are free CATs to help students and beginners on they way. They have enough bills as it is.

However, I cannot help thinking you should never say never. Software developers have to live. There are thousands of posts on this website and others bewailing the fact that clients will not pay for translation, and that free machine translation lowers standards and takes away our livelihoods.

Think about it. Maybe you will never pay for Trados, but no software 'just grows'. It is up to you whether you like the light, basic CATs or are willing to spend time learning to benefit from the ones with advanced features. Either way, they are all the result of hard work and careful programming and coding. Somebody pays, somewhere. So when you can afford it, you might want to pay for the guarantees, the updates and the support - just to be sure they are there when you need them.

Absalon Guzman
Absalon Guzman  Identity Verified
Grenada
Local time: 12:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
SmartCat Sep 1, 2017

I am in my second year as freelance translator, live in a country with a very strict currency exchange system. Besides, I do not have several hundreds to pay for a CAT license. One year ago I "enrolled" in SmartCat and by now I've performed more than 100 thousand words with it. Is cloud based, and for me is just fantastic, completely free and informs you permanently about job opportunities. Try it!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do al millennials want things for free? Sep 1, 2017

Christine Andersen wrote:

DarwinE wrote:
After graduation when I had my choice of the three, guess which one I picked? As a student fresh out of college, ready to tackle on my accrued debt?

MateCAT does just what I needed it to do, for the kind of tasks I'm assigned. Nothing extraordinarily high-tech. And it's free. I will never pay for Trados, not even with the group buy discount.

Of course, I am at the other end of my career, pension secured and able to pick and choose what work I take on. So I can afford to pay for software - and I find Trados is worth every cent. I am not blaming DarwinE or others with the same attitude. I remember struggling through the lean years, so it is a good thing there are free CATs to help students and beginners on they way. They have enough bills as it is.

However, I cannot help thinking you should never say never. Software developers have to live. There are thousands of posts on this website and others bewailing the fact that clients will not pay for translation, and that free machine translation lowers standards and takes away our livelihoods.

Think about it. Maybe you will never pay for Trados, but no software 'just grows'. It is up to you whether you like the light, basic CATs or are willing to spend time learning to benefit from the ones with advanced features. Either way, they are all the result of hard work and careful programming and coding. Somebody pays, somewhere. So when you can afford it, you might want to pay for the guarantees, the updates and the support - just to be sure they are there when you need them.

Would I hire an architect that does the building design on free software? Would I pay a mechanic to work in my car with obsolete tools? Would I entrust a carpenter or cabinet maker to renovate my kitchen by using a ruler, wallpaper from a thriftshop and fasteners bought at a second-hand store?

Free apps and free software packages are ok to learn the basics, the ropes. But the more specialized one becomes, one needs to use the right tools for the job.

More to the point: would I entrust the translation of a legal document or an SDS to a wet-behind-the-ears translator who only uses pocket-sized dictionaries and consults Linguee on the Internet?

If I want to be respected as a professional and get paid professional fees, I need to use professional- or industry-grade tools, machinery and software. In any event, a judicious customer will pay for my expertise, not my tools.

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 01:44
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
I am a bit confused about MT feature Sep 1, 2017

I am a bit confused about MT feature. do they send my client's file information to automated database or not? MemoQ even had default link with Google Translate MT engine and I was startled for confidentiality issue. Latest Trados also has MT - I need to clarify !

Mario Freitas wrote:

Diarmuid Kennan wrote:

I'm also noticing this trend. I was actually one of the first ones to change. I started with Trados, but I figure the main purpose of a CAT is saving time, which Trados does not really allow with so many features and resources. I ended up not saving time with Trados, whereas MemoQ saves me almost 50% of my time and more than 50% of my typing. That's a real CAT!

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Contradiction Sep 1, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

Would I hire an architect that does the building design on free software? Would I pay a mechanic to work in my car with obsolete tools? Would I entrust a carpenter or cabinet maker to renovate my kitchen by using a ruler, wallpaper from a thriftshop and fasteners bought at a second-hand store?

Free apps and free software packages are ok to learn the basics, the ropes. But the more specialized one becomes, one needs to use the right tools for the job.

More to the point: would I entrust the translation of a legal document or an SDS to a wet-behind-the-ears translator who only uses pocket-sized dictionaries and consults Linguee on the Internet?

If I want to be respected as a professional and get paid professional fees, I need to use professional- or industry-grade tools, machinery and software. In any event, a judicious customer will pay for my expertise, not my tools.

So, you wouldn't hire someone who works with (in your opinion) 'cheap' tools, but then you close your post by saying that what counts is expertise, not tools...

Also, if you took a look at the results of this poll, more than 10% of the respondents said they don't use any CAT tool at all, and there are veteran translators among them (a few have posted in this very thread). Are they perhaps "unspecialized" or unprofessional translators because they don't use 'professional- or industry-grade software'?

I spent quite a bit of money on MemoQ and Studio licenses and the various "upgrades" and "maintenance packages", but that doesn't make me any more professional, reliable or 'specialized' than someone who uses, say, OmegaT, or nothing at all, and I definitely do not look down on them just because of that...

You don't necessarily need a CAT tool in order to be able to translate and be a good translator (and this profession is a little older than CAT tools...), and if you are required to use one, mainly for the sake of consistency, terminology (and providing "discounts" and easily reusable/leverageable material...), then any tool that helped you in that would be OK.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
never bought one Sep 1, 2017

I have used various CAT tools when the agency sends me a floating licence.

No way do I want to pay for one.

Not that I'm a millennial. More that the type of stuff I prefer to do is just not suited for it. My brain can handle repetitions, I can look at past translations to check up on termino, and I compile glossaries to save time on future translations when I know the client will come back.

So my reluctance to pay for a CAT tool stems more from my reluct
... See more
I have used various CAT tools when the agency sends me a floating licence.

No way do I want to pay for one.

Not that I'm a millennial. More that the type of stuff I prefer to do is just not suited for it. My brain can handle repetitions, I can look at past translations to check up on termino, and I compile glossaries to save time on future translations when I know the client will come back.

So my reluctance to pay for a CAT tool stems more from my reluctance to do the type of work it's suited for. I don't see why I should pay to do work I'm not really keen on. It helps the agency more than it helps me, in that other translators can work using my terminology. I don't see that using their termino helps me, since I often spend so much time cleaning up mistakes from previous translations, I'm loathe to simply trust other parts and end up checking anyway.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:44
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Either GT or professional translator. Both together doesn't exist. Sep 1, 2017

Chie. I wrote:

I am a bit confused about MT feature. do they send my client's file information to automated database or not? MemoQ even had default link with Google Translate MT engine and I was startled for confidentiality issue. Latest Trados also has MT - I need to clarify !

Yup, that unfortunate choice exists... and most veteran translators ignore it entirely. It's ridiculous.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which CAT tool do you use the most?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »