Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:23
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Hello and goodbye (greeting and parting) Oct 16, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Who’da thunk being friendly could be such a minefield?

“Au revoir” is too presumptuous.

“See ya” is just asking for “Hope not”.

“Farewell” is just too damned friendly.

Turns out even plain old “goodbye” is fraught with religious implications.

I think I’d better hope I never meet Tom in the first place.

What about "Servus", "Moin" or "Ciao" as an European standard solution to say "Goodbye!" and Hello!" with only one word and without expressing any (at least) literal misperceptions? It depends on the intonation then, whether you feel welcomed or whether somebody is happy getting rid of you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciao
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moin

Or what about the Indian solution, which all our beloved colleagues here should know, when approached (bothered...) by one of the usual low-cost agencies, starting their emails with "Greetings!!!" (with three exclamation marks, which is a secret code for the fact, that they are not willing to pay more than € 0.03* per source word)?

*Lowered from € 0.035 to a more realistic € 0.03 (averaged value) on 11:41 CET

[Bearbeitet am 2020-10-16 09:41 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:24
Danish to English
+ ...
Saxy Oct 16, 2020

Chris S wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:
I will keep my real name, "Sandra".

That might be best. The last person I gave a nickname has vanished. Whatever happened to Dizzy? Run over by a biz?

My mother never forgave my grandmother for naming her Sandra. “Why couldn’t she just have called me Alexandra? Why would you want to shorten a name?” the woman who always called herself Sandy would wail.

How about Saxy as a compromise between Exy, which sounds a bit like 'Exit', and Sandra. Saxy sounds musical, but I have no wish to trumpet the virtues of music here or drum up support for the use of nicknames. Now I hope I won't be accused of being tone-deaf.

I also use a contraction when talking to my cat. When she seems to want to go outside, I say 'meout', i.e. a contraction of 'meow out'.

None of these remarks should be construed as catty.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It is a good name Oct 16, 2020

Chris S wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

That might be best. The last person I gave a nickname has vanished. Whatever happened to Dizzy? Run over by a biz?

My mother never forgave my grandmother for naming her Sandra. “Why couldn’t she just have called me Alexandra? Why would you want to shorten a name?” the woman who always called herself Sandy would wail.

I agree with you!
Why?
It means "defender of mankind", but it is a difficult task.

P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"Saxy" Oct 16, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Chris S wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

How about Saxy as a compromise between Exy, which sounds a bit like 'Exit', and Sandra. Saxy sounds musical, but I have no wish to trumpet the virtues of music here or drum up support for the use of nicknames. Now I hope I won't be accused of being tone-deaf.

I also use a contraction when talking to my cat. When she seems to want to go outside, I say 'meout', i.e. a contraction of 'meow out'.

None of these remarks should be construed as catty.

Sounds very musical as you say. I will use my given name. I also have a second one, and shorter.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"Servus" Oct 16, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

What about "Servus", "Moin" or "Ciao" as an European standard solution to say "Goodbye!" and Hello!" with only one word and without expressing any (at least) literal misperceptions? It depends on the intonation then, whether you feel welcomed or whether somebody is happy getting rid of you:

It is a surprising Latin word (meaning "servant") for a greeting! I didn't know it (I don't know German, either). It reminds me "Salve".
And you have different intonations for this word depending on the mood?
It seems that we take forms of salutation in Portuguese very seriously. We don't have those "flavours".
There is an usual and very short interjection in European Portuguese to say good morning, good afternoon, good evening: "Boas!" (we add a final "s" because we can use both singular and plural).
In addition to eliminate consonants in certain words, we now also shorten words... I believe this interjection is most used by young people nowadays.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:24
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
O yes! Oct 16, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

And you have different intonations for this word depending on the mood?

I think everyone can put her/his attitude against the person to be greeted in one of these single-word greeting codes, i.e. by shouting, whispering or saying it in a tender, annoyed or angry way etc.
"Have a nice day" has been meant by you in a friendly way, no doubt about it, but the German equivalent "Schönen Tag noch!" or "Schönen Abend!" has become a nuisance (at least to me) in the past four or three years, adapted as a wrong translation from US TV series and taken over in everyday German now, totally superficial and superfluous, uttered with an incredible tone I never heard in the public against people, you usually don´t know or meet (or like ... sorry). Language changes, but this new habit should clearly be tominlondoned (on level 7)!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Exy Oct 16, 2020

Well, Exy gets my vote. Vote. Yes, should we have a vote on it? Yes, let's. Anyone who reckons expressisverbis/Sandra should be Exy, raise their hand. OK, OK ... one, two, three, four ... excuse me ... I said excuse me, you, yes, you, you over on the right there, you behind the computer, with the striped T-shirt and dishevelled hair, were you voting yes or merely stretching your mouse hand? ... OK, so that's a yes ... five, six, seven ... well, it looks like a definite Exy trend on the studio sw... See more
Well, Exy gets my vote. Vote. Yes, should we have a vote on it? Yes, let's. Anyone who reckons expressisverbis/Sandra should be Exy, raise their hand. OK, OK ... one, two, three, four ... excuse me ... I said excuse me, you, yes, you, you over on the right there, you behind the computer, with the striped T-shirt and dishevelled hair, were you voting yes or merely stretching your mouse hand? ... OK, so that's a yes ... five, six, seven ... well, it looks like a definite Exy trend on the studio swingometer at the moment, but obviously far too early to say. So let's go over to the Thread Manager on the ground, who certainly won't be mincing his words. Tom ...?Collapse

expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder
Rachel Fell
Elizabeth Tamblin

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Exy vote - latest Oct 16, 2020

Well, I'm afraid we've lost the connection with the Thread Manager. An emergency cropped up, apparently. Details are still sketchy, but it involved a high street fruit and veg shop with blackboard prices outside saying Potatoe's, Carrot's and Pea's, and our man went off to sort it all out in the name of common linguistic decency. Most results from the southern hemisphere obviously not in yet, and the Americas are at lunch, so it could still go either way. We'll be back later with an update, so s... See more
Well, I'm afraid we've lost the connection with the Thread Manager. An emergency cropped up, apparently. Details are still sketchy, but it involved a high street fruit and veg shop with blackboard prices outside saying Potatoe's, Carrot's and Pea's, and our man went off to sort it all out in the name of common linguistic decency. Most results from the southern hemisphere obviously not in yet, and the Americas are at lunch, so it could still go either way. We'll be back later with an update, so stay tuned.Collapse

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Kay Denney

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Vote Oct 16, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Well, I'm afraid we've lost the connection with the Thread Manager. An emergency cropped up, apparently. Details are still sketchy, but it involved a high street fruit and veg shop with blackboard prices outside saying Potatoe's, Carrot's and Pea's, and our man went off to sort it all out in the name of common linguistic decency. Most results from the southern hemisphere obviously not in yet, and the Americas are at lunch, so it could still go either way. We'll be back later with an update, so stay tuned.

When he's done de-apostrophising greengrocers' blackboards, he can continue in Fleet Street, where linguistic abuse such as 'tow the line', 'expense of land' and 'hangers full of planes' is still rife. However, I fear it may take a while to get the rotten tomatoes out of his hair and clothes.

To return to your vote, it has not escaped my attention that my suggestion was left off the ballot, thus rendering it an exercise in electoral fraud. In other words, my suggestion was tominlondonlevel6ed. 'Saxy' was axed. Such practices may be common in Spain, but here in my Teutonic region of residence, they are usually frowned upon.

[Edited at 2020-10-16 19:41 GMT]

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Technicality Oct 16, 2020

Ah, Thomas, but you didn't actually propose it as an official proposal for proposition, did you? At no time did you even mention the word "vote". You said, and I quote, "How about ..."? Why, this very afternoon I said "How about another glarss of wine?" to a load of people, and nobody voted on it.

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A vote, or a suggestion Oct 16, 2020

When the virus will go away, I vote for a meeting with all the members with toasts and beers (alcohol-free), and please do not say Chris and Mervyn are kids playing, that toasts and beer don't match, or that you have other plans. (I am serious, not playing).
Tom, have we got a deal or not? (Siamo d'accordo o no?) I think I am going to have a "tominlondonizzatta" response...

Thomas T. Frost
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Level 7? Oct 16, 2020

It certainly looks like level 6 is in play. Impressive restraint being shown by Tom here. It’s so easy to tell someone you’re not talking to them just in case they hadn’t noticed.

Not sure if level 7 isn’t just a myth though. Fake news. Like this so-called democratic poll that nobody can actually vote on. No way the Don is going to accept the results of this one, however chummy you may now be, Mervy H. McMuffin.

Thomas T. Frost
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Tominlondon level corrected Oct 16, 2020

Chris S wrote:

It certainly looks like level 6 is in play. Impressive restraint being shown by Tom here. It’s so easy to tell someone you’re not talking to them just in case they hadn’t noticed.

Not sure if level 7 isn’t just a myth though. Fake news. Like this so-called democratic poll that nobody can actually vote on. No way the Don is going to accept the results of this one, however chummy you may now be, Mervy H. McMuffin.

Level 7 was a case of accidental mental inflation. I meant level 6 but being quite flooded with work today and being more committed to my work than idle chit-chat, I omitted to look up the reference scale and thus regrettably got the tominlondon level wrong. I corrected it just before reading your most pertinent comment.

expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
So ... Oct 16, 2020

... if I've read this correctly, what you mean is that earlier we were all momentarily thomastfrosted to a certain extent. Or I suppose it could be tomingermanyed. Wait a minute ... no, no, that participle doesn't look right. The Y must shurely convert to an I, tomingermanied, to make it proper English. Ah yes, there we go. One can't be too careful.

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Tominwhatexactlied Oct 16, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... if I've read this correctly, what you mean is that earlier we were all momentarily thomastfrosted to a certain extent. Or I suppose it could be tomingermanyed. Wait a minute ... no, no, that participle doesn't look right. The Y must shurely convert to an I, tomingermanied, to make it proper English. Ah yes, there we go. One can't be too careful.

The latter suggestion is slightly flawed since London is a city and Germany a country. So what's the geographical local equivalent to London here? Dunno. London has four times as many inhabitants than the state I live in, Saxony-Anhalt. And that's still a state, not a city. But I don't live in a city. Hmm. Tominsaxonyanhalted? Or how about the district, Mansfeld-Südharz: tominmansfeldsüdharzed?

Then there's the potential issue that Tom in London might consider tominsomethingingermany nomenclatural appropriation, since his first name was first associated with Prozian verbs. Do you have a good solicitor?

expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »