Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:31
Danish to English
+ ...
French Nov 2, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

(Thomas, do you understand French? I like to post things in English that everyone understands... By the way "ser um nabo" means "to be a blockhead". I used the word "nabo" and I haven't explained it. I'm sorry about this.)

Sure, I'm fluent in French. Spent 15 years in France. Kids speak English and French (but not Danish) – and their English is not thanks the French school system. Ex is French (monolingual originally from Guadeloupe but nevertheless able to say " ’ello" in English; I'd better stop before I sound too much like Emily in Paris).

Didn't that chocolate song have some zouk rhythm? (Wikipedia: 'Zouk is a genre of dance-oriented music from the Caribbean islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique'; about the slower style called zouk love, it says: 'pour la plupart des morceaux, les textes parlent souvent d'amour et de problèmes sentimentaux' at https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zouk ('the lyrics are often about love and romantic problems') – like most pop songs; just the syrupy stuff you need as coffee sweetener.)

Nabo means 'neighbour' in Danish, but as neighbours are sometimes blockheads, it seems a most apt homonym.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thomas Nov 2, 2020

I think you're right, the "Chocolat" song has that Zouk rythm.
What a coincidence! I have many blockheads ("nabos") here in the building!
You are fluent in French? I'm very happy to know that.
C'est bien ! Nous sommes sur la même longueur d'onde !

P.L.F. Persio

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Babel Nov 2, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

C'est bien ! Nous sommes sur la même longueur d'onde !

Oui, mais si Tom commence en italien et Mervyn en espagnol, Chris en suédois (ou langue de chat), Samuel en néerlandais, puis Matthias en allemand et enfin toi en portugais, on aura une vraie Tour de Babel.

[Edited at 2020-11-03 01:47 GMT]

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
eller dansk Nov 2, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
mais si Tom commence en italien et Mervyn en espagnol, Chris en suédois (ou langue de chat), Samuel en néerlandais, puis Matthias en allemand et enfin toi en portugais, on aura un vrai Tour de Babel.

ولكن لدينا دائما مترجم جوجل

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Danish Nov 2, 2020

Chris S wrote:

eller dansk
Thomas T. Frost wrote:
mais si Tom commence en italien et Mervyn en espagnol, Chris en suédois (ou langue de chat), Samuel en néerlandais, puis Matthias en allemand et enfin toi en portugais, on aura une vraie Tour de Babel.

ولكن لدينا دائما مترجم جوجل

Jeg har aldrig set den dialekt af dansk før.

[Edited at 2020-11-03 11:34 GMT]

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Svenska Nov 2, 2020

Jag tycker att någons testiklar ska pressas.
Lyssna inte på den där killen, Chris!

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:31
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Også Svenska: Nov 2, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Jag tycker att någons testiklar ska pressas.
Lyssna inte på den där killen, Chris!

"Jag älskar er dock alla!"
Erich Mielke

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Angela B
Angela B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Did someone say biscuit? Nov 2, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

There's been a change of criteria about our trip to the UK, and now I'm being asked if they still sell Wagon Wheels over there. Now, don't you bother this time, Rachel, you've done enough.

Surely there must be someone out there ...?

I've been chortling from afar on this thread but now Mervyn's biscuit queries seem to be in danger of going unanswered, I feel like I need to step in (plus it's an opportune transition from our last exchange, which also strayed into biscuits and may have been the very reason this thread was born in the first place?).

So to clear up any uncertainty, Aeros are indeed still widely available in the UK. I'm not all that sure why though, as I don't know anyone who buys them and they're a bit of a weird concept in general, aren't they? If you've already committed to gorging on chocolate, their foaminess would make them a really unsatisfying choice, but they're not in the league of those premium bars you just break a wee corner off and savour either.

Wagon Wheels are still going strong, too. They're a retro fave, and I'd even go as far as to say that they're up there with the all-time biscuit heavyweights. Such a great combo of chocolate, spongy biscuit, marshmallow and a jammy middle. But they've definitely gotten smaller over the years...

I do hope that has cleared things up for you, Mervyn. Any more cookie conundrums, I'm your gal!

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
New owner Nov 2, 2020

I knew I'd seen something about Wagon Wheels in the news recently, and sure enough:

Wagon Wheels maker Burton's sells chocolate plant to Swiss firm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-45576521#:~:text=The%20maker%20of%20Wagon%20Wheels,Merseyside%20to%20a%20Swiss%20firm.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@A Burt Nov 2, 2020

Thanks for leaping in there. But you probably do know people who buy Aeros. They're just not saying. It's the shame. They're staying schtoom because of the stigma attached to them. In reality they probably buy boxes at the Cash & Carry, look left and right on the way back to the car, throw them in the boot with a blanket over them, and only bring them into the house after they've taken the bin out late at night and there's nobody around. Me, I don't care, I just come out with it, because I recko... See more
Thanks for leaping in there. But you probably do know people who buy Aeros. They're just not saying. It's the shame. They're staying schtoom because of the stigma attached to them. In reality they probably buy boxes at the Cash & Carry, look left and right on the way back to the car, throw them in the boot with a blanket over them, and only bring them into the house after they've taken the bin out late at night and there's nobody around. Me, I don't care, I just come out with it, because I reckon that guilt cripples, but Aeros heal.

All the same, I do think I'd better lay off the cookie talk for the duration.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Angela B
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Rachel Nov 2, 2020

Certainly doing your overtime today, Rachel! Thanks again. Other people simply haven't lifted a chocolate finger to help ...

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's better to continue in English, Nov 2, 2020

because I don't want Herr Proz Staff chasing me.
I find it hard to believe that some people who are supposedly professional translators can write terrible things to their colleagues.
There are things I cannot fully digest. My digestive system is quite sensitive. That's all.
I like you all! Thanks Matthias!

Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Who are the Aeroheeds? Nov 2, 2020

If you want to know who's who out there, there are various tests. Simply invite them round for a drink (or even better, a coffee, because it gets them thinking). Maybe leave a crumpled Aero wrapper in the ashtray/on the kitchen counter/on the coffee table. Be discreet, but watch their eyes at all times for dilating pupils, trembling lips, eyes darting around everywhere, or any kind of nervous gesture at all that could denote cold turkey.

If you detect a reaction, then goad them on a
... See more
If you want to know who's who out there, there are various tests. Simply invite them round for a drink (or even better, a coffee, because it gets them thinking). Maybe leave a crumpled Aero wrapper in the ashtray/on the kitchen counter/on the coffee table. Be discreet, but watch their eyes at all times for dilating pupils, trembling lips, eyes darting around everywhere, or any kind of nervous gesture at all that could denote cold turkey.

If you detect a reaction, then goad them on a little more by innocently throwing the four-letter word into the conversation, maybe even casually intimating that why, yes, you partake every so often yourself. This usually declams people. The truth is nobody likes harbouring a guilty secret, but the shame is overpowering. They want to tell, but they feel they can't. Only when they know everything's kosher will they sheepishly bring out the two or three foosty ones they keep in their jacket pocket to deaden the urge even though they wouldn't dare eat them in public, simply to have but not to hold. Watch them sob in relief when they know it's all right.

[Edited at 2020-11-02 22:39 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Angela B
P.L.F. Persio

Angela B
Angela B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
A big admission Nov 2, 2020

I've never said this before but I feel safe amongst all you kindred spirits so I'm just going to come straight out with it.

I think my own husband is one.

I once found a half-eaten bar in the cupboard and since it definitely wasn't me and my kids aren't yet old enough to be stealing my purse and running off to Tesco to stock up on bad chocolate substitutes, I can only assume it was him. We never talked about it but I did keep checking to see if it was still there and th
... See more
I've never said this before but I feel safe amongst all you kindred spirits so I'm just going to come straight out with it.

I think my own husband is one.

I once found a half-eaten bar in the cupboard and since it definitely wasn't me and my kids aren't yet old enough to be stealing my purse and running off to Tesco to stock up on bad chocolate substitutes, I can only assume it was him. We never talked about it but I did keep checking to see if it was still there and then one day it just wasn't. The fact that he is Spanish and didn't apply his otherwise haughty food standards to this particular snacking choice somehow makes it worse. What should I do?
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Made in Portugal, I'm sorry Nov 2, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Certainly doing your overtime today, Rachel! Thanks again. Other people simply haven't lifted a chocolate finger to help ...

There is also a video demonstrating how we make chocolate:
https://arcadia.pt/?lang=en

And if you are a fan of biscuits and cookies:
http://villasegolfe.co.ao/en/articles/info/1189/

P.L.F. Persio
Angela B

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »