Teresa Woischiski
Teresa Woischiski  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:35
English to German
+ ...
Jul 12, 2016

Hi dear Proz community,

I wanted to ask, if anyone is familiar with transcription of interviews.

I need a price reference for transcribing a 60 min long interview and a 90 min long interview (German).

Do I charge per hour of my work, let's say 30€/hour?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Teresa

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:35
Portuguese to English
+ ...
The recommended ratio Jul 12, 2016

is 1:4 or 1:6 for lower quality audio. So each minute of audio takes 4-6 minutes to transcribe. Any translation would be charged on top of that.

Teresa Woischiski
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
exact offer Jul 12, 2016

Thanks for your answer. I would need an exact price offer. Could I charge per hour of transcribing?
Thanks a lot.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Of course Jul 12, 2016

Plus the translation fee on top.

Teresa Woischiski
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Jul 12, 2016

Okay, thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Teresa

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Don't Jul 14, 2016

If you have never done any transcription before, I would strongly urge you to turn this job down. Transcription is very different from translation. Ideally you need special transcription equipment (foot pedals etc), and it is bsically a typing job. it would also be an idea to do some experiments, to check that you can work at the recommended ratio given above.

If you use speech recognition software, there is quite an ingenious technical solution. You play back the audio file which w
... See more
If you have never done any transcription before, I would strongly urge you to turn this job down. Transcription is very different from translation. Ideally you need special transcription equipment (foot pedals etc), and it is bsically a typing job. it would also be an idea to do some experiments, to check that you can work at the recommended ratio given above.

If you use speech recognition software, there is quite an ingenious technical solution. You play back the audio file which will display the source text on your screen. While that is going on you dictate the target translation. Smart, but tricky, and only if you have experimented first.
Collapse

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

funny transcription jobs Jul 14, 2016

I found it funny about transcription job rates.

Agencies often offer audio/video per minute rate such as £2 per audio minute, as if transcriber's production is based on the time the characters spent on speaking, but not on how many words a transcriber could produce through both listening and typing.

For me it's Chinese characters - oriental language - which obviously take more time to type a character (a few more strokes and hits of the keyboard) than for latinized l
... See more
I found it funny about transcription job rates.

Agencies often offer audio/video per minute rate such as £2 per audio minute, as if transcriber's production is based on the time the characters spent on speaking, but not on how many words a transcriber could produce through both listening and typing.

For me it's Chinese characters - oriental language - which obviously take more time to type a character (a few more strokes and hits of the keyboard) than for latinized languages such as English or French or Spanish.

I often quote using the number of words to be transcribed or the hours I would spend on transcribing, because some speeches could be so fast like in a police interview in which the characters read from the prepared texts like machines guns. This makes a transcriber almost impossible to catch up or like Peter said you need a pedal to control the on and off of the audio/video recording to give you time to type which I don't have.
Collapse

Teresa Woischiski
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Jul 14, 2016

thank you Peter and David for your answers, they gave me a better insight of the work. I will try it out once and then I will decide on whether to continue with more jobs or not.

Very much appreciated.

Lg
Teresa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need a price reference for transcription please

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »