Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Best way to transfer from France to US?
Thread poster: Gregory Flanders
What did you finally choose May 11, 2012

Hi Gflan,
I have the exact same question than you had in 2008. I just wanted to know what you finally chose and how much it cost you. I have to transfer money from a French bank account to an American bank account and the fee are really scaring me....

Gregory Flanders
Gregory Flanders  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:22
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
xe.com May 12, 2012

In the end I used xe.com to transfer the money. After going through the somewhat onerous registration process (anti-money laundering procedures), the transactions were simple, quick, and cheaper than any other options I looked into.

That said, I haven't used the service for several years, things might have changed since. Good luck!

sztyblewsky1997
sztyblewsky1997
English to French
+ ...
This is no longer true Jun 19, 2019

My bank is Bank of America and they're now telling me that they're going to take 6-8 WEEKS or more with it.

And, too, I used to send in Canadian checks all the time (back in 2005-2007) and they'd clear within like 2 weeks. Not almost two MONTHS.

I am literally sitting in an airport with NO money left other than that amount I sent in last week. To last me until, whiten 6-8 WEEKS??? I can't go that long without EATING but it looks like I'll have to try!!!

... See more
My bank is Bank of America and they're now telling me that they're going to take 6-8 WEEKS or more with it.

And, too, I used to send in Canadian checks all the time (back in 2005-2007) and they'd clear within like 2 weeks. Not almost two MONTHS.

I am literally sitting in an airport with NO money left other than that amount I sent in last week. To last me until, whiten 6-8 WEEKS??? I can't go that long without EATING but it looks like I'll have to try!!!

Cheques take that kind of time from France into Bank of America and there was NO other way to get it there. Literally every other App known to man, is allowed in either country or the other but not both! I was able to set up a PayPal account on the French bank account but the one on the US bank account has long since been "frozen" and "locked" and a lot of bullcrapshit. And there's no way of taking the US bank account OFF of that frozen PayPal account and setting up another PayPal account with that one because, like I said, PayPal has it frozen and won't let me delete accounts off it.

So I will probably in the next 6 weeks or sooner, starve to death.

I'm not getting enough work to stay alive. And with two Master's degrees, to boot. And translation skills in 4 languages even if, due to my Stroke, I can't SPEAK any of them worth a damn anymore.

If I could MOVE from this damned Airport and get a Visa I'd go to Russia and be with my ex-husband at least if it's still Communist we'd have a place to LIVE.

French Foodie wrote:

Hi Gregory,

I do this on a fairly regular basis as well (only difference being the other bank is in Canada). Believe it or not, I have found that the cheapest way is to write myself a cheque and mail it to my branch in Canada. I discussed this with my bank manager in Canada before I moved, so they do not charge me conversion fees, and even though the cheques are "foreign", they clear them in a few days as opposed to a few weeks.
I find the French postal system quite fast (compared to Canada, anyway), and my cheque usually arrives within a week.

HTH
Mara
Collapse

Colleen Roach, PhD
Colleen Roach, PhD  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:22
French to English
+ ...
Wire transfer to US Bank; $15.00 fixed rate but agency paid it Jun 20, 2019

My bank charges nothing for incoming foreign wires, but the middle bank takes 5 or 6 percent.

[Edited at 2008-01-21 22:22] [/quote]

My U.S. bank charges a fixed fee of $15.00 US for all wire transfers. I was expecting one from a Canadian agency and a bank employee said he usually advises customers to just put the fee onto one's invoice. I did and the agency immediately accepted it with no problem.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best way to transfer from France to US?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »