TGB and VAT - SHALL I PAY IT IN MY COUNTRY (ITALY) ?
Thread poster: Melissa Stocchero
Melissa Stocchero
Melissa Stocchero  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:13
Italian
+ ...
Dec 3, 2019

HI,

I've just purchased a software on Proz.com, and since I have a VAT number, VAT was not included in the invoice. Now, the big question is: am I required to personally pay that VAT amount in ITALY? This is a point I can't figure out ... is this obligation shifted on me?
Can somebody help me?

Thank you in advance
Melissa

Anke Elzinga
Anke Elzinga
Member (2019)
English to Dutch
+ ...
VAT responsibility Dec 4, 2019

Hi Melissa,

I am by no means a tax expert in any country but in my experience NO VAT is charged on international purchases from Business to Business.

Anyway, the liability of paying VAT when charged always lies with the seller in his/her country so you don't have to worry about paying anything to anybody.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ask an accountant, sorry Dec 4, 2019

Melissa Stocchero wrote:
I've just purchased software via ProZ.com, and since I have a VAT number, VAT was not included on the invoice. Am I now required to personally pay that VAT amount in ITALY?

Different EU countries have different laws about that, so I suggest you ask several local accounts and then decide which ones to believe.

In my own country of residence (the Netherlands), if I buy software from another EU country, and the VAT was shifted to me (as it was in your case), then I have to pay VAT on that purchase at the Dutch VAT rate (even if the Dutch VAT rate is different from the VAT rate in the country that I bought the software from).

Melissa Stocchero
Italy
Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanx Dec 4, 2019

Anke Elzinga wrote:

Hi Melissa,

I am by no means a tax expert in any country but in my experience NO VAT is charged on international purchases from Business to Business.

Anyway, the liability of paying VAT when charged always lies with the seller in his/her country so you don't have to worry about paying anything to anybody.

Thank you AnKe!

Melissa Stocchero
Italy
Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanx Dec 4, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:
Different EU countries have different laws about that, so I suggest you ask several local accounts and then decide which ones to believe.

In my own country of residence (the Netherlands), if I buy software from another EU country, and the VAT was shifted to me (as it was in your case), then I have to pay VAT on that purchase at the Dutch VAT rate (even if the Dutch VAT rate is different from the VAT rate in the country that I bought the software from).

thank you Samuel! I consulted an accountant and it seems that I am not laible to pay any VAT amount (thanks to the Reverse Charge mechanism, If I understood correctly...)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TGB and VAT - SHALL I PAY IT IN MY COUNTRY (ITALY) ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »