Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Salary compensation for a full-time-remote job.
Thread poster: Nestor J Solano
Nestor J Solano
Nestor J Solano  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 05:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 5, 2019

Hi fellows,

I received a job offer from an IT company based in California to work as a "remote translator" from Latin America. I'd appreciate if any of you has a clue about the salary asignation (annual) for a "full time remote translator" position like this and can share with me your insights. I just know I'd have to cover taxes and discounts by law in my country. I'm not sure how much to ask as a salary expectation and the next stage in the process is negotiation.

... See more
Hi fellows,

I received a job offer from an IT company based in California to work as a "remote translator" from Latin America. I'd appreciate if any of you has a clue about the salary asignation (annual) for a "full time remote translator" position like this and can share with me your insights. I just know I'd have to cover taxes and discounts by law in my country. I'm not sure how much to ask as a salary expectation and the next stage in the process is negotiation.

Thanks.
Collapse

betül asiye karpuzcu

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Native in... the USA Jun 5, 2019

Hello Nestor--depending on your legal status, workload, exp/skills, requirements, and duties, a remote translator in US makes from $30k to $100+k, totaling some $70,000/year AVG GROSS (before taxes and expenses) + social + bonuses.
Do research the company!

I believe they want you to split it to the median of your local expectations and their budget, which still should make about $45k/year GROSS, if you're interested.

Read the contract/dra
... See more
 Hello Nestor--depending on your legal status, workload, exp/skills, requirements, and duties, a remote translator in US makes from $30k to $100+k, totaling some $70,000/year AVG GROSS (before taxes and expenses) + social + bonuses.
Do research the company!

I believe they want you to split it to the median of your local expectations and their budget, which still should make about $45k/year GROSS, if you're interested.

Read the contract/draft and consult to the lawyer.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:09
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Full time Jun 6, 2019

The answer is simple, if they want you to work full time, your salary should cover all your monthly expenses, some savings in case repairs/replacements are required, plus enough money to lead a good life and go on vacation once in a while.

Full time actually means that they hire you - remote or not - and should give you some benefits. If they don't, then charge your Social Security payments extra, or on top of your regular salary.

ahartje
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria da Glória Teixeira

Nestor J Solano
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Thayenga, any number in mind? Jun 6, 2019

Thayenga wrote:

The answer is simple, if they want you to work full time, your salary should cover all your monthly expenses, some savings in case repairs/replacements are required, plus enough money to lead a good life and go on vacation once in a while.

Full time actually means that they hire you - remote or not - and should give you some benefits. If they don't, then charge your Social Security payments extra, or on top of your regular salary.

Braun1

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
@ Nestor Jun 6, 2019

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately I have no knowledge of what is a good salary in South America. I suggest that you do your math by adding up all expenses that you have on a monthly basis, how much you and your family need to lead a good life, how much Social Security is in your country, especially health insurance, and add a couple hundreds per month in case of a fore mentioned events (repair/replacement / private i
... See more
You're very welcome.

Unfortunately I have no knowledge of what is a good salary in South America. I suggest that you do your math by adding up all expenses that you have on a monthly basis, how much you and your family need to lead a good life, how much Social Security is in your country, especially health insurance, and add a couple hundreds per month in case of a fore mentioned events (repair/replacement / private issues, etc.).

Because you will hardly have any time for other customers, and might not even be allowed to work with others, your salary should cover everything.
Collapse

Nestor J Solano
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@thayenga Jun 6, 2019

Salaries in South America (even with all expenses included) are not comparable to US salaries, that's why it would work for me have an idea of a "US standard salary" for this kind of remote positions. Thanks anyway

mughwI
mughwI
United States
Local time: 06:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
US Standard Salary - 2019 Jun 6, 2019

Nestor J Solano wrote:

Salaries in South America (even with all expenses included) are not comparable to US salaries, that's why it would work for me have an idea of a "US standard salary" for this kind of remote positions. Thanks anyway

According to this source:
https://www.businessinsider.com/the-basic-annual-income-every-american-would-need-is-150000-2012-3
most Americans consider that a yearly salary of $150,000 USD is an acceptable income based on average costs of living in an average mid-sized town.

Sounds about right, in my experience.

[Edited at 2019-06-06 14:38 GMT]

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
There is an American dream and an American reality:-) Jun 6, 2019

mughwI wrote:

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-basic-annual-income-every-american-would-need-is-150000-2012-3
most Americans consider that a yearly salary of $150,000 USD is an acceptable income based on average costs of living in an average mid-sized town.

[Edited at 2019-06-06 14:38 GMT]

The same source:

***That level of income is more than three times the national median of $49,445 for 2010, and it's enough to put a household into the top 10 percent nationally.***

Myself and most of my colleagues are in the range of low to mid 6 digits before taxes, depending on the year and/or a number of vacation/personal days, which usually amount to 2-3 months a year plus weekly days off. We all do both translation and interpretation.

Luximar Arenas Petty
DZiW (X)
Jorge Payan

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
US salaries Jun 6, 2019

mughwI wrote:

Sounds about right, in my experience.

If Nestor was living in the US, yes. But most probably the prospective client will not set US income standards, knowing that Nestor lives in South America.

As mentioned earlier, the salary should be according to South American average incomes.

Nestor J Solano
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@mughwI Jun 6, 2019

Thanks. Altough the article is from 2012 I think $150K is too high, it mentions also that the national median income (2012) is $49,445, which is interesting. Here another article that I found with lower numbers:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PCPI06037

Nestor J Solano
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@IrinaN Jun 6, 2019

Thanks. That would be great, but I don't think the salary be that big for a remote position. As you are from USA, do you think from your experience the company should pay based on US salaries scale or based on South American local salaries?

Nestor J Solano
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@thayenga Jun 6, 2019

It is possible but I hope it won't be as Colombian wedges are absurdly low.

Regards.

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
@Nestor Jun 6, 2019

Unfortunately, the only reason US companies are looking for a remote translator is lessee salaries. But it's still not quite clear what do you (or they) mean by "salary"?

If you are a foreign citizen residing abroad, then I'm not sure if they can have you as a full-time EMPLOYEE with benefits, because they will have to make all the appropriate payments to SS, Medicare, withdraw your taxes etc etc. Benefits count when a salary is discussed. You might as well be considered a full-time
... See more
Unfortunately, the only reason US companies are looking for a remote translator is lessee salaries. But it's still not quite clear what do you (or they) mean by "salary"?

If you are a foreign citizen residing abroad, then I'm not sure if they can have you as a full-time EMPLOYEE with benefits, because they will have to make all the appropriate payments to SS, Medicare, withdraw your taxes etc etc. Benefits count when a salary is discussed. You might as well be considered a full-time contractor working for hourly wages.

IS you are not clear on it, I suggest you ask them all those detailed questions. Or just one - "What do you mean by a full-time position?"
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jorge Payan
DANIEL SIQUEIRA

mughwI
mughwI
United States
Local time: 06:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Professional Salary Jun 6, 2019

Nestor J Solano wrote:

Thanks. Altough the article is from 2012 I think $150K is too high, it mentions also that the national median income (2012) is $49,445, which is interesting. Here another article that I found with lower numbers:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PCPI06037

When you say too high, do you mean for the US in general?

There are quite a few people here earning much less, of course, but most of them would not be applying for a position as a professional translator offered by a direct client.

As I mentioned, in my experience, $150,000 USD (before taxes) is quite common. At least in my language pair (En > Es) and the areas I specialize in.

Still, only you can decide what would be an acceptable salary in your specific situation.

Nestor J Solano

Nestor J Solano
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@IrinaN Jun 6, 2019

Good point, I'll keep it in mind.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Salary compensation for a full-time-remote job.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »