Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Should this kind of message (asking for low rates) be reported somewhere?
Thread poster: Luca Tutino
Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:23
Japanese to English
+ ...
Low rates May 21, 2019

Even with the low rates, there is no guarantee that they would give you a lot of work. This sounds like an enticement to work for low rates from time to time. Another nauseating proposition translators get is "give us your best rates based on long-term cooperation". Let them work with translators in the third world and wish them luck with the lousy work they will eventually get.

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 13:23
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank You! May 21, 2019

Michael Newton wrote:

Even with the low rates, there is no guarantee that they would give you a lot of work. This sounds like an enticement to work for low rates from time to time. Another nauseating proposition translators get is "give us your best rates based on long-term cooperation". Let them work with translators in the third world and wish them luck with the lousy work they will eventually get.

Thank you for discriminating against translators from third-world countries! I think you resent the fact that we take away work from translators in first-world countries. Well, that is how globalization works. You will have to swallow that pill.

There are good and lousy translators in third-world countries just like there are good and lousy translators in first-world countries.

[Edited at 2019-05-21 05:32 GMT]

Darius Sciuka
Ian Mansbridge
Vera Schoen
Luximar Arenas Petty
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Michael Wetzel
ahartje

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:23
French to English
. May 21, 2019

Wilsonn Perez Reyes wrote:

Thank you for discriminating against translators from third-world countries! I think you resent the fact that we take away work from translators in first-world countries. Well, that is how globalization works. You will have to swallow that pill.

There are good and lousy translators in third-world countries just like there are good and lousy translators in first-world countries.

[Edited at 2019-05-21 05:32 GMT]

Yes this is globalisation as it currently pans out.
Call me an idealist if you will, but I wish that it could pan out differently, with good third-world translators being able to command first-world rates, and being able to afford a first-world life-style, paying as much tax or national insurance or whatever as we do, and enjoying the same benefits as Europeans namely decent healthcare, sick leave, maternity leave, invalidity and old-age pensions.

Mirko Mainardi
Robert Forstag
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Ph_B (X)
Agneta Pallinder
Sabrina Bruna
ahartje

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
No "authority" that I know of... May 23, 2019

but it sure would be nice to have one. Everytime I read something like that, I ask myself "Would this be acceptable if I was an employee rather than a freelancer."
Most of the time, the answer is "Hell no."
Translation rates have been decreasing since decades and there is still no international syndicate, union or whatever to protect freelancers against all the abuse we have to face. I wonder why it's still not the case.

Mirko Mainardi
Kay Denney
Maria da Glória Teixeira

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
An EN>IT perspective... May 23, 2019

Luca Tutino wrote:

I am just a little disappointed that out of 10+ replies, as of now, not even one comes from an Italian colleague - which seems rather significant considering the numbers Italian replies normally make to job bids.

Since you asked, and since I work in EN>IT as well, I can say I just "agreed" with others' replies and didn't write one myself simply because I thought there was no meaningful answer to be given to your "Should I report this message to some authority?". And besides, you probably know I have written more than once or twice about ludicrous offers/rates in the past (sometimes stirring scorn or contempt from some colleagues...), and I didn't want to derail this discussion in that direction...

I very rarely "bid" on offers published here (as that seems futile), but yes, I too am baffled when I see dozens of people bid on "jobs" with "budgets" of 1-6 cents (and they rarely reach the latter figure, as far as I could see...) or so...

But then again, what can we do?

Ph_B (X)
Maria da Glória Teixeira
Elena Aclasto
P.L.F. Persio

AlessandraV.
AlessandraV.
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
just negotiating... May 23, 2019

Luca Tutino wrote:

I am just a little disappointed that out of 10+ replies, as of now, not even one comes from an Italian colleague - which seems rather significant considering the numbers Italian replies normally make to job bids. But I am particularly happy for the great wording suggested by Tom - I think I am going to use it literally at this time - and will report it to you if there is any particular outcome, which I doubt.

Love you

Hi Luca,
I'm new to the business, but I think that this offer is just part of the business of being a freelancer. I noticed that they did not say anything like: " other translators we work with charge less than you", this would have been impolite, but they simply tried to negotiate better rates. I think you can simply accept or decline, but I do see an intention to work with you again regardless of the rates.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should this kind of message (asking for low rates) be reported somewhere?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »