Thread poster: Paul Richardson
Paul Richardson
Paul Richardson  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 00:58
Member (2015)
Icelandic to English
Mar 6, 2018

Has anyone made a deal with a non-agency client to make and maintain a dedicated TM. This would require regular feedback from the client's staff who may edit the text before sending to the final recipient, meaning that my TM would not necessarily be up to date. The subject is technical where new terms and concepts are sometimes introduced. New regulations can also change the way things are said - as the texts in question should use the wording of the regulations. Any suggestions about how to mak... See more
Has anyone made a deal with a non-agency client to make and maintain a dedicated TM. This would require regular feedback from the client's staff who may edit the text before sending to the final recipient, meaning that my TM would not necessarily be up to date. The subject is technical where new terms and concepts are sometimes introduced. New regulations can also change the way things are said - as the texts in question should use the wording of the regulations. Any suggestions about how to make such a deal.Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:58
French to English
glossary Mar 6, 2018

I don't use CAT tools unless the agency requires it, but I do have one client for whom I translate fairly technical stuff for whom I maintain a glossary. I send it to them every so often, to be sure they use the same terms as me if ever they write stuff directly in English. Always with a "if I haven't heard back by X date I shall assume you approve of all terms" (even though terms are only in there if I've had to look them up for a translation - they may just change something after I have deliv... See more
I don't use CAT tools unless the agency requires it, but I do have one client for whom I translate fairly technical stuff for whom I maintain a glossary. I send it to them every so often, to be sure they use the same terms as me if ever they write stuff directly in English. Always with a "if I haven't heard back by X date I shall assume you approve of all terms" (even though terms are only in there if I've had to look them up for a translation - they may just change something after I have delivered.)

We didn't make a deal over it, it's just part of the service I supply. They pay my best rate, so they deserve my best quality.

When clients at the agency where I used to work asked for their TM, we sent it to them for free. The boss said after all they have already paid for the translation of these terms.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 18:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
Send you a copy? Mar 6, 2018

I think your point is very reasonable. Could you explain that to the client and ask them to send you a copy when changes are made? That should not be too difficult and even necessary if they may want to send you future translations that require the revised TM.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 18:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
Deal Mar 7, 2018

I didn't realize you meant a financial deal. In that case I would say no, that's uncalled for. If the client didn't ask for a TM in the first place, than it's up to you if you want to make and maintain one for yourself but not for pay.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Make and maintain dedicated TM for non-agency client

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »