Average rates for Bahasa Indonesia English?
Thread poster: Stilgar
Stilgar
Stilgar
Canada
Local time: 10:55
English to French
Oct 19, 2012

Hello everyone,

I am curious to know what the average per-word rate seems to be for the language pair Bahasa Indonesia-English, for general and more technical translation jobs.

Thanks very much in advance for your answers!

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.
Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 09:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Proz link Oct 19, 2012

Hi,

You can choose Indonesian and English from the list of languages that is displayed, after you go to this link:

http://search.proz.com/employers/rates

Regards,
Patricia

Indah Lestari

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:55
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
My Rates Oct 20, 2012

Hi Stilgar,
As a reference, my rates are US$0.12 per word for translation and US$40 per hour for editing.:)

Stilgar
Stilgar
Canada
Local time: 10:55
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 20, 2012

Your information helped me a lot; thank you to you both! My brother-in-law is Indonesian and was sent a 5,000-word translation project yesterday for which the client wanted to pay him 25 euros. Both my wife and I were downright outraged and convinced him on the spot not to accept this project.

He's a beginner and basically wants to practice and gain experience, but we told him that even so, and even though he couldn't possibly have rates similar to a professional's at this point, it
... See more
Your information helped me a lot; thank you to you both! My brother-in-law is Indonesian and was sent a 5,000-word translation project yesterday for which the client wanted to pay him 25 euros. Both my wife and I were downright outraged and convinced him on the spot not to accept this project.

He's a beginner and basically wants to practice and gain experience, but we told him that even so, and even though he couldn't possibly have rates similar to a professional's at this point, it is simply unacceptable to be paid 0,01 euros per word!

I'm glad I have a better reference now and I will forward that to him within the hour!

Thanks again!
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
How average can you be? Oct 20, 2012

Stilgar wrote:
average per-word rate ... Bahasa Indonesia-English

Actually, Stilgar, that's a very interesting question.

You can arrive at an average rate by adding the lowest rate to the highest one, and divide the result by 2. The link Patricia mentions would then result in (0.12+0.08):2=USD 0.10. An acceptable rate for ENG>BI, although I think the pair BI>ENG will be (much) higher.

A weighted average will result in a completely different figure. As Pak Nopri mentions in his blog, Indonesian translators charge different rates for… different people. It's almost racist. Nopri's rates range from a "local" rate of Rp 375 (USD 0.04), via a "national" rate, to an "expat" rate of Rp 725 (USD 0.075) for ENG>BI. It's hard to explain the difference in these rates, but that's how it works here. That means that a weighted rate will be much lower than the USD 0.10 mentioned above.
This doesn't affect BI>ENG, I think, since you'll want a native speaker of English for that pair.

In short, I think you'll end up paying more than USD 0.10/word for BI>ENG (close to 20 cents I'd guess), whereas, if you know how to shop, you'll pay less than the average of 10 cents for ENG>BI.

Salam,

Hans (whose language pairs do not include BI. However, his daughter - yep, Meta Arkadia - does translate from ENG to BI)

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
€ 25 Oct 20, 2012

Stilgar wrote:
My brother-in-law is Indonesian and was sent a 5,000-word translation project yesterday for which the client wanted to pay him 25 euros.

€ 25 more than Rp 300,000. 5,000 words can be done in two days, that's Rp 150,000 per day. The official minimum wage (nobody pays) here in Yogya is Rp 850,000 a month (for 6 days a week). If you take that in consideration, € 25 isn't that bad. Not that I agree with it - far from - the trouble is lots of Indonesian translators do.

Salam,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Translated Oct 20, 2012

"Translated", this means that your brother-in-law - a self-declared beginner - won't get the job if he asks for (much) more. I would be very careful advising him from a centrally heated house in Canada, if I were you. If I whisper the word here in Yogya that a beginning translator can make Rp 150,000 a day, the UGM can close down, at least for the time of the offer. So can most schools, shops, and what-have-yous.

Cheers,

Hans (who pays freelance typists Rp 50,000 an hou
... See more
"Translated", this means that your brother-in-law - a self-declared beginner - won't get the job if he asks for (much) more. I would be very careful advising him from a centrally heated house in Canada, if I were you. If I whisper the word here in Yogya that a beginning translator can make Rp 150,000 a day, the UGM can close down, at least for the time of the offer. So can most schools, shops, and what-have-yous.

Cheers,

Hans (who pays freelance typists Rp 50,000 an hour which is ridiculously much - for Indonesian standards)
Collapse

Joyce Djajasaputra
Joyce Djajasaputra
United States
Local time: 07:55
English to Indonesian
Rates can change according to topic/subject plus inflation vs Becak rider rates May 12, 2019

Yes it is cheap to live in Yogya but becak riders can get more than Rp.150,000 per day. I was there a couple years ago and I was surprised the rate went up to around 15,000 or more per ride (like 1-2 miles) or can be more for western tourists.
I was lucky to get one that rate because many charge more but then they will not get many passengers for the expensive rate or being lazy (better not working than working for cheap).

That's why some of them can afford to send their chil
... See more
Yes it is cheap to live in Yogya but becak riders can get more than Rp.150,000 per day. I was there a couple years ago and I was surprised the rate went up to around 15,000 or more per ride (like 1-2 miles) or can be more for western tourists.
I was lucky to get one that rate because many charge more but then they will not get many passengers for the expensive rate or being lazy (better not working than working for cheap).

That's why some of them can afford to send their children to university, although they might not get better salary than their father.

Anyway, the rate might go up as the country's inflation go up. The fruits are just as expensive as those in the US.
And I charge more for the content or subject of the material. If it is specific, like medical or technology, it should be done by experts in those area, the rate might double or triple.

I charge more to consult with experts when most subjects are familiar with me. For example, real estate agreement. I live in the US and study some real estate but I still need to consult with the top agent for the translation.

Anyway, I live in Los Angeles and I can meet company reps who need translation. And I need to get paid every 3-4 pages or I will not continue doing the translation because no guarantee of payment.
Yes, I had experienced with several people in the US who wanted us to work hard but then did not pay.

My expertise is bible translation. I have done from translation to movie transcription. Also i tutor Indonesian locally with my own curriculum. My mother and I started in Indonesia translating diploma into English and translating Rebecca Brown MD books to Indonesian, paid by a private party who want to read the book.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Average rates for Bahasa Indonesia English?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »