Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:20
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Legal or illegal? Feb 4, 2009

After getting info from another person, it would appear that fansub is legal before the movie has been copyrighted in target language.

That is, the JP owner cannot claim property over the target text, not being a seller of the movie in the target language. And the target language purchaser cannot claim property yet.

Is that true? I don't know. Looks strange to me. Somebody has a link?

For JP anime, it can mean a period of two years, between broadcast
... See more
After getting info from another person, it would appear that fansub is legal before the movie has been copyrighted in target language.

That is, the JP owner cannot claim property over the target text, not being a seller of the movie in the target language. And the target language purchaser cannot claim property yet.

Is that true? I don't know. Looks strange to me. Somebody has a link?

For JP anime, it can mean a period of two years, between broadcasting in Japan and purchase in Europe.
Collapse

KaraD
KaraD
United States
Local time: 02:20
A clarification. Jul 8, 2019

I know this is a very old thread, and maybe there is more understanding of this subject than there used to be at this point, but I found this thread by accident in a search and as a person involved in the anime fandom wanted to provide some clarification. The point of fansubs are not to compete with or modify official translations, its normally to translate shows or films that will most likely not receive official translations due to lack of commercial interest. Usually shows that are already tr... See more
I know this is a very old thread, and maybe there is more understanding of this subject than there used to be at this point, but I found this thread by accident in a search and as a person involved in the anime fandom wanted to provide some clarification. The point of fansubs are not to compete with or modify official translations, its normally to translate shows or films that will most likely not receive official translations due to lack of commercial interest. Usually shows that are already translated are not touched, so no one is messing with anyone's movie script, as one person said. Also, the legal issues that accompany fansubs are not to do with the translations themselves, but the fact that many fansub groups distribute the anime it's self along with the translations. For the most part companies don't care as long as it isn't licensed outside of Japan, though that isn't always the case.

Also, to address one of the questions brought up by the original OP. Yes, there have been instances where fansubs and other fan translations have been exploited by lazy localizers, and there have also been instances where the companies have just hired the fansubbers of a show to do the official translations, Game Center CX, a japanese gaming show, being an example of the later.

[Edited at 2019-07-08 21:07 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anime fansub - free translation of subtitles

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »