Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 18, 2007

G'day everyone

Any idea how to make MemoQ 2.0x read XLIFF files? MemoQ complains about a DTD when I try to open an XLIFF file in it. Granted, my XLIFF file has not DTD declaration in it, so maybe that is the problem... but I added a DTD and MemoQ still won't open it.

Here's my XLIFF file's top section:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE xliff PUBLIC "-//XLIFF//DTD XLIFF//EN" "http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/document
... See more
G'day everyone

Any idea how to make MemoQ 2.0x read XLIFF files? MemoQ complains about a DTD when I try to open an XLIFF file in it. Granted, my XLIFF file has not DTD declaration in it, so maybe that is the problem... but I added a DTD and MemoQ still won't open it.

<!DOCTYPE xliff PUBLIC "-//XLIFF//DTD XLIFF//EN" "http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/documents/xliff.dtd">
<xliff version="1.1" xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:xliff:document:1.1">

(The !DOCTYPE line was handwritten by me -- but I'm pretty sure it is correct.)

Any ideas? MemoQ doesn't seem to have a bug report line.
Collapse

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
English to French
MemoQ support does exist :) Oct 18, 2007

Hi Samuel,

There is support available for MemoQ.

Simply send an email (with the file attached, that would be a good idea) to [email protected], and you'll see that they do react, and quickly at that.

Also, there is a MemoQ yahoogroup at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MemoQ2. You'll find a lot o
... See more
Hi Samuel,

There is support available for MemoQ.

Simply send an email (with the file attached, that would be a good idea) to [email protected], and you'll see that they do react, and quickly at that.

Also, there is a MemoQ yahoogroup at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MemoQ2. You'll find a lot of expert users and even very frequent visits from MemoQ developers over there.

Kind regards,
Denis Hay
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:53
English to Spanish
XLIFF 1.1 does not have DTD Oct 18, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
Granted, my XLIFF file has not DTD declaration in it, so maybe that is the problem... but I added a DTD and MemoQ still won't open it.

<!DOCTYPE xliff PUBLIC "-//XLIFF//DTD XLIFF//EN" "http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/documents/xliff.dtd">
<xliff version="1.1" xmlns="urn: oasis:names:tc: xliff:document:1.1">

(The !DOCTYPE line was handwritten by me -- but I'm pretty sure it is correct.)

Hi,

You have to remove the DOCTYPE declaration from your file because XLIFF 1.1 does not have a DTD.

XLIFF 1.1 uses XML Schema grammar an it is already declared in the root element of your file:

xmlns="urn: oasis:names:tc: xliff:document:1.1"

Any tool that can read XML files using a decent XML parser can read an XLIFF 1.1 document without requiring a DTD.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In that case, MemoQ doesn't read XML Schema Oct 18, 2007

Rodolfo Raya wrote:
XLIFF 1.1 uses XML Schema grammar an it is already declared in the root element of your file:

Any tool that can read XML files using a decent XML parser can read an XLIFF 1.1 document without requiring a DTD.

Well, actually, the file originally didn't have the !DOCTYPE declaration -- I added that myself.

MemoQ doesn't accept the XLIFF file in its original format either. It complains about a DTD if I try -- that's why I tried adding the DTD to the file to see if MemoQ can be bluffed into accepting it.

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
English to French
Create your own DTD from the file Oct 18, 2007

Hi Samuel,

MemoQ has a smart XML parser which will browse the file, automatically detect the tags used and let you adjust the tag definitions your own taste.

So yes, you can basically work on *any* valid XML file.

HOWEVER.... XLIFF uses an XML structure, but it just can't be "translated" like this. True XLIFF support will add the necessary tags to keep both source and target(s) translation (s).

That's not (yet) the case for MemoQ, nor fo
... See more
Hi Samuel,

MemoQ has a smart XML parser which will browse the file, automatically detect the tags used and let you adjust the tag definitions your own taste.

So yes, you can basically work on *any* valid XML file.

HOWEVER.... XLIFF uses an XML structure, but it just can't be "translated" like this. True XLIFF support will add the necessary tags to keep both source and target(s) translation (s).

That's not (yet) the case for MemoQ, nor for any other mainstream CAT tool I know of. Those who reportedly support XLIFF like Heartsome or a very few others usually use a kind of "homemade" version of XLIFF which is not completely standard and usually doesn't import correctly in other tools.

If a client sends you XLIFF files, why don't you simply ask him what tool he uses so that you can use the same and be sure you'll be able to hand over suitable deliverables.

Kind regards,
Denis Hay
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What kind of XLIFF I'm using Oct 18, 2007

Denis HAY wrote:
True XLIFF support will add the necessary tags to keep both source and target(s) translation (s). ... That's not (yet) the case for MemoQ, nor for any other mainstream CAT tool I know of.

Correct. See here:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/guide/tools/xliff_support_by_ms_windows_programs

I was hoping to add MemoQ to that list, especially since version 2.0x is postcardware.

If a client sends you XLIFF files, why don't you simply ask him what tool he uses so that you can use the same and be sure you'll be able to hand over suitable deliverables.

Heh-heh-heh... for the purpose of my testing various tools for XLIFF support, I myself am the client.

The Translate-toolkit generates valid XLIFF and we'd like to give our translators the freedom to use whatever tool they prefer, if they can.

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:53
English to Spanish
Heartsome supports XLIFF standard Oct 18, 2007

Denis HAY wrote:
Those who reportedly support XLIFF like Heartsome or a very few others usually use a kind of "homemade" version of XLIFF which is not completely standard and usually doesn't import correctly in other tools.

Hi Dennis,

Your statement is wrong. Heartsome uses the XML Schemas designed by the XLIFF Technical Committee at OASIS, not a home-made version.

Regards,
Rodolfo

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
XLIFF is a coming format Oct 19, 2007

Hi Samuel and everyone else,

MemoQ officially does not support XLIFF yet, it is something we plan for next year. However, one of our clients successfully carried out a project with over 500 XLIFF files, having our support. So in order to translate XLIFF files, you need to run a script first to convert to XML that you can feed into MemoQ, and then once the XML translation is done, you have to run another script that converts it back to XLIFF.

We do not market these scrip
... See more
Hi Samuel and everyone else,

MemoQ officially does not support XLIFF yet, it is something we plan for next year. However, one of our clients successfully carried out a project with over 500 XLIFF files, having our support. So in order to translate XLIFF files, you need to run a script first to convert to XML that you can feed into MemoQ, and then once the XML translation is done, you have to run another script that converts it back to XLIFF.

We do not market these scripts, but MemoQ users can ask for them until XLIFF becomes officially supported by MemoQ. We just did not want to have monolingual XLIFF support in the tool as it is a bilingual format - and the XML filter is not able to create bilingual format configurations.

Best regards,
István
Collapse

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
XLIFF is supported now Oct 31, 2008

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that XLIFF is fully supported in MemoQ now. Support was added in version 3.0. You can use MemoQ to translate XLIFF files you receive, or even export XLIFF files for translation in other XLIFF-capable translation tools.

Regards,
Gergely Vandor

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ won't read my XLIFF

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »