Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What is the best time of the year to buy MemoQ?
Thread poster: Suzanne Chabot
Suzanne Chabot
Suzanne Chabot
Local time: 14:35
Arabic to French
TOPIC STARTER
Not in third world countries Jan 14, 2020

Hello Samuel,

Not in my case, because I am a resident of Egypt.

SDL Trados studio sells his software and updates in third-world countries via resellers for a fraction of the price. I paid around $100 for the software itself (because I had another reduction as a student) 10 years ago and I update it every 2 or 3 years for less than $100.

MemoQ cannot compete with this price. I contacted MemoQ a few years ago and asked them why they do not offer the same, bu
... See more
Hello Samuel,

Not in my case, because I am a resident of Egypt.

SDL Trados studio sells his software and updates in third-world countries via resellers for a fraction of the price. I paid around $100 for the software itself (because I had another reduction as a student) 10 years ago and I update it every 2 or 3 years for less than $100.

MemoQ cannot compete with this price. I contacted MemoQ a few years ago and asked them why they do not offer the same, but they refused. Wordfast offer a discount for Third World countries also.

I hope they will change their minds.
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:35
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Compatibility with clients' MemoQ servers Jan 14, 2020

Another consideration is that clients also update their MemoQ servers from time to time, and unless you have a maintenance plan (a.k.a. "subscription", if you prefer), you may end up having to quickly pay for an upgrade to a new version in order to maintain a local version that is compatible with the client's server version (if you wish to continue working on MemoQ server projects for them).

Other observations:
- There are updates (patches/"service packs" etc.) and upgrades (n
... See more
Another consideration is that clients also update their MemoQ servers from time to time, and unless you have a maintenance plan (a.k.a. "subscription", if you prefer), you may end up having to quickly pay for an upgrade to a new version in order to maintain a local version that is compatible with the client's server version (if you wish to continue working on MemoQ server projects for them).

Other observations:
- There are updates (patches/"service packs" etc.) and upgrades (new versions). You are always eligible to receive updates within your purchased major version of MemoQ regardless of whether you are paying for a maintenance plan. Same with Trados.
- Your purchased MemoQ licence is valid for all prior versions you have on your computer. So if you have upgraded, but find that you need to use an older version for server compatibility reasons or you just like it better, you can always go back and use any of your older versions. With Trados, once you upgrade, your licence for the previous version is no longer valid (though you can usually use still the old version on the original computer until you reinstall your OS or make a major hardware change). MemoQ's licensing regime is generally less oppressive than Studio's. Despite various reinstalls after crashes, switching computers, etc., I have never had to contact MemoQ about licensing problems, but I have had to contact SDL several times about the same.
- I have found MemoQ support to be fast, responsive and effective.
In short, I personally find the maintenance and support plan to be worthwhile.
Collapse

Suzanne Chabot

Rocio Palacios (X)
Rocio Palacios (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:35
New memoQ TGB Jan 20, 2020

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that there is a memoQ TGB campaign running right now. In case you're interested, here's the link: https://www.proz.com/tgb/1243

If there's something that you'd like to know, or if you need info on new and/or upcoming, don't hesitate to reach out to me or at [email protected]

Regards,
... See more
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that there is a memoQ TGB campaign running right now. In case you're interested, here's the link: https://www.proz.com/tgb/1243

If there's something that you'd like to know, or if you need info on new and/or upcoming, don't hesitate to reach out to me or at [email protected]

Regards,

Rocio
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best time of the year to buy MemoQ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »