How to tag complicated sequences with regexp
Thread poster: jo_ha_nn_es
jo_ha_nn_es
jo_ha_nn_es
Germany
Jul 10, 2019

Hello,

short introduction because I'm new here: Our company uses MemoQ to manage the translations of our software. In the development, we use special phrases to form singular/plural sentences. These phrases make some trouble because the translators are often no aware of the syntax and so, they translate the wrong parts, which destroys the syntax.

One example for a number of unread messages:
{COUNT, select, 0{unread messages} 1{unread message} other{unread messages
... See more
Hello,

short introduction because I'm new here: Our company uses MemoQ to manage the translations of our software. In the development, we use special phrases to form singular/plural sentences. These phrases make some trouble because the translators are often no aware of the syntax and so, they translate the wrong parts, which destroys the syntax.

One example for a number of unread messages:
{COUNT, select, 0{unread messages} 1{unread message} other{unread messages}}

That has the meaning of
COUNT=0 => unread messages
COUNT=1 => unread message
ELSE => unread messages

Is it possible to lock everything except "unread messages", "unread message" and "unread messages"?

I tried to setup a regexp but I didn't find a solution the lock only some parts. In the tagging filter, groups only seem to work for the displayed text.

BTW: I know that in other languages, the differences between count 0,1,else may not be enough to form a correct sentence.

Thanks.
Collapse

William Tierney
William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:33
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
Changing Segmentation Rules Jul 10, 2019

Have you considering inserting ">" as a prompt to break a segment? It would separate the string you want to lock from the string you want to translate. I am not sure if memoQ has this capability, but you could then add a filter "if segment contain COUNT/ELSE/etc., then lock."

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 04:33
German to English
+ ...
Regex Tagger Jul 11, 2019

You should be able to do this with the Regex Tagger.
What regex have you specified?

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 04:33
German to English
+ ...
Regex Tagger for complicated sequences Jul 14, 2019

This is an interesting problem, because the Regex Tagger term is normally that what should be tagged. It can be "tricked" by using a lookahead

.*(?=unread messages)
.*(?=unread message)

Each with $0 as “Display text”

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to tag complicated sequences with regexp

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »