Does MemoQ handle large textfiles better than SDL Trados Studio?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 12:43
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 27, 2019

I have a giant textfile with source in Chinese and English (only English is set as source, Chinese is only displayed but not active, just there for reference in the source segments) and target in Swedish. Because the source contains Chinese characters as well as Pinyin and other diacritics this file is very heavy to save, even if I would split it.

I tried copied a selection of segments, and I can't copy much before it's impossible to save the file. Neither saving the sdlxliff nor as
... See more
I have a giant textfile with source in Chinese and English (only English is set as source, Chinese is only displayed but not active, just there for reference in the source segments) and target in Swedish. Because the source contains Chinese characters as well as Pinyin and other diacritics this file is very heavy to save, even if I would split it.

I tried copied a selection of segments, and I can't copy much before it's impossible to save the file. Neither saving the sdlxliff nor as target works. It only works to save as clean target through this workaround:

In the Files view, right-click the file -> Batch Tasks -> Export Files.
Click Next, then select "Target version," then click Finish.
(https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio/9792/save-target-as-greyed-out-in-trados-2017)

So I wonder if it could work if I just skip saving altogether and just confirm each translation into the translation memory. Then, after a few months (it's a BIG file), I use the above workaround and generate the target file in Swedish?

Or would MemoQ handle this big textfile better than SDL Trados Studio? I have the latest version of MemoQ as well, version 8.4. Should I switch to MemoQ in this case?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:43
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Should be far more efficient! Jun 27, 2019

memoQ is quite agile handling large files, so it is definitely worth the try using it for the piece you describe!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does MemoQ handle large textfiles better than SDL Trados Studio?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »