Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Pre-translation does not overwrite existing unconfirmed segments MemoQ 8.6
Thread poster: Laura Bergamini
Laura Bergamini
Laura Bergamini
Local time: 05:22
English to Italian
Jun 17, 2019

I have a large project that has been split between two translators. The client has pre-translated it applying MT to empty segments.
Now we are mid-project and my colleague and I have shared a TMX export of our work so far, so that we can apply each other's work to our portion of the project and reuse matches (100% and fuzzy). She works in Trados, and it went fine for her. I work in MemoQ and it doesn't.
I imported her TMX in my main memory, but during pre-translation new high fuzzy
... See more
I have a large project that has been split between two translators. The client has pre-translated it applying MT to empty segments.
Now we are mid-project and my colleague and I have shared a TMX export of our work so far, so that we can apply each other's work to our portion of the project and reuse matches (100% and fuzzy). She works in Trados, and it went fine for her. I work in MemoQ and it doesn't.
I imported her TMX in my main memory, but during pre-translation new high fuzzy matches do not overwrite the target, unconfirmed MT segments.
Is there any option anywhere to indicate to MemoQ that it should overwrite the existing if a better match is found? I cannot clear the target segments because I would lose all other MT applied by my client, which I am supposed to post-edit.

Thank you!
Laura
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:22
Danish to English
+ ...
Clear translations Jun 17, 2019

Have you tried Clear translations in the Preparation tab?

Laura Bergamini
Laura Bergamini
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Pre-translation does not overwrite existing unconfirmed segments MemoQ 8.6 Jun 17, 2019

I cannot clear translations, otherwise I would lose the MT segments where I have a below 76% match - all segments contain some sort of translation, many are at 0% unconfirmed with MT content. I need to overwrite these where appropriate. Thanks

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Save the MT segments in a temporary TM Jun 17, 2019

Oh, you didn't say you actually wanted to use the MT. I always delete any MT contents from the start, as it takes me as long time to fix all the MT errors as it does to translate the text properly from scratch.

Anyway, you could create a temporary TM, filter the view so you only see the unconfirmed MT segments, and then confirm and update the MT segments to that. You may need to set the TM status to Working TM. Then the MT is saved. Then, while you are still in the filtered view, cl
... See more
Oh, you didn't say you actually wanted to use the MT. I always delete any MT contents from the start, as it takes me as long time to fix all the MT errors as it does to translate the text properly from scratch.

Anyway, you could create a temporary TM, filter the view so you only see the unconfirmed MT segments, and then confirm and update the MT segments to that. You may need to set the TM status to Working TM. Then the MT is saved. Then, while you are still in the filtered view, clear the translations.

Then you can pre-translate.
Collapse

Laura Bergamini
Laura Bergamini
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Pre-translation does not overwrite existing unconfirmed segments MemoQ 8.6 Jun 17, 2019

Anyway, you could create a temporary TM, filter the view so you only see the unconfirmed MT segments, and then confirm and update the MT segments to that. You may need to set the TM status to Working TM. Then the MT is saved. Then, while you are still in the filtered view, clear the translations.

If I filter just on 0% matches (MT) and I start editing those, I will run into my high fuzzy matches, which at that point I can apply manually one by one. I'm trying to avoid a manual insertion of individual segments overwriting existing MT. I have about 40,000 words of these...

I found an explanation of the Overwrite behavior in MemoQ 2015 help:
http://kilgray.com/memoq/2015-100/help-en/index.html?pre_translation_dialog.html

Overwrite behavior
If some target segments already have text, pre-translation overwrites them in some cases, and leaves them as they are in other cases:
•Empty (Not started) segments are always filled in if there is a match.
•Previously pre-translated segments are overwritten if memoQ has a better match than the one that was used earlier.
•Edited or confirmed segments are not overwritten. If you need to overwrite these segments, you need to clear them first using the Clear translations button on the Preparation ribbon tab. Then set their status to Empty/Not started and run the pre-translation.

Bullet 2 is what I am looking for. BUT this is not available (or I can't find it, or it doesn't work) in MemoQ 8.6.
What do they mean by "pre-translation overwrites them in some cases"

I may resort to exporting my project to Trados, do it there and import it back.

Thank you,
Laura

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
So run a second pre-translate based on the temporary MT TM Jun 17, 2019

Laura Bergamini wrote:
If I filter just on 0% matches (MT) and I start editing those, I will run into my high fuzzy matches,

I'm not sure what 'run into my high fuzzy matches' is intended to mean.

I found an explanation of the Overwrite behavior in MemoQ 2015 help:
http://kilgray.com/memoq/2015-100/help-en/index.html?pre_translation_dialog.html

Laura Bergamini wrote:
What do they mean by "pre-translation overwrites them in some cases"

I think they mean exactly what you quoted. They explain when existing contents are overwritten.

Once you have saved the MT in a temporary TM, cleared the unconfirmed segments with MT and pre-translated based on the new TM you have received, you can pre-translate again, but this time based on your saved MT. You may need to detach and attach the respective TMs. This would not require you to manually select any segments.

Laura Bergamini
Laura Bergamini
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER

During MT content editing, I get suggestions with up to 98% matches from my newly imported TMX from my colleague. These have not been applied during pre-translation, and I have to apply them manually (Ctrl+1) before editing the smaller differences and move on.

I need an option where all not confirmed existing content could be overwritten *if* a better match exists in the TM - so that I don't need to insert manually each segment better than a MT. I estimate about 13,000 hits that are
... See more
During MT content editing, I get suggestions with up to 98% matches from my newly imported TMX from my colleague. These have not been applied during pre-translation, and I have to apply them manually (Ctrl+1) before editing the smaller differences and move on.

I need an option where all not confirmed existing content could be overwritten *if* a better match exists in the TM - so that I don't need to insert manually each segment better than a MT. I estimate about 13,000 hits that are not overwritten, that means 13,000 times of pressing Ctrl+1.

MT segments are marked (in pink) 0% Translation Not Confirmed - but they are not overwritten with a better match coming from the TM.

If this can't be achieved, is there a way to mark all 0% segments as EMPTY rather than Translation Not Confirmed?

Many thanks for your help!
Laura
Collapse

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
in some cases Jun 17, 2019

"What do they mean by "pre-translation overwrites them in some cases""

The "some cases" are explained in the 3 bullets below this statement.

Laura Bergamini
Laura Bergamini
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Pre-translation does not overwrite existing unconfirmed segments MemoQ 8.6 Jun 18, 2019

MollyRose wrote:

yes, but bullet 2 does not behave as stated. Pre-translate does NOT overwrite what is in segments (at 0%) even if a better match is found (I have some 98% that are not inserted). Is this a common behavior or a fluke in my installation?

I'm at a loss

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:22
Member (2016)
English to German
... Jun 18, 2019

Laura Bergamini wrote:

MollyRose wrote:

yes, but bullet 2 does not behave as stated. Pre-translate does NOT overwrite what is in segments (at 0%) even if a better match is found (I have some 98% that are not inserted). Is this a common behavior or a fluke in my installation?

I'm at a loss

memoQ seems to be regarding the segments that were pre-translated by your client as "edited" and therefore does not overwrite them.

If I were you, I'd either

-clear all translations • pre-translate using my own preferred MT engine and settings (you could also ask the client which engine they used), or

-generate a new TM of only the client's MT-pre-translated segments • apply a high penalty to this TM • clear all translations • pre-translate.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Bullets 2 and 3 Jun 18, 2019

Laura Bergamini wrote:

As you quoted yourself,

Laura Bergamini wrote:
•Edited or confirmed segments are not overwritten. If you need to overwrite these segments, you need to clear them first using the Clear translations button on the Preparation ribbon tab.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Save your MT results in a temporary TM Jun 18, 2019

Laura Bergamini wrote:

I need an option where all not confirmed existing content could be overwritten *if* a better match exists in the TM - so that I don't need to insert manually each segment better than a MT. I estimate about 13,000 hits that are not overwritten, that means 13,000 times of pressing Ctrl+1.

MT segments are marked (in pink) 0% Translation Not Confirmed - but they are not overwritten with a better match coming from the TM.

If this can't be achieved, is there a way to mark all 0% segments as EMPTY rather than Translation Not Confirmed?

Many thanks for your help!
Laura

I suggested a solution yesterday, just before this post: save your MT contents in a temporary TM. Then you can use them for pre-translation after you have cleared the MT segments and pre-translated with your higher matches.

You don't want to lose the MT segments. So just save them. And then clear the MT segments. Then you can juggle things as you want without losing anything.

You have not reacted to that suggestion.

Jan Truper

Laura Bergamini
Laura Bergamini
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Pre-translation does not overwrite existing unconfirmed segments MemoQ 8.6 Jun 18, 2019

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
I suggested a solution yesterday, just before this post: save your MT contents in a temporary TM. Then you can use them for pre-translation after you have cleared the MT segments and pre-translated with your higher matches.

You don't want to lose the MT segments. So just save them. And then clear the MT segments. Then you can juggle things as you want without losing anything.

You have not reacted to that suggestion.

yes, I'm going to try this today. it's a bit cumbersome. I'll also export my project and TMs in Trados and do the same there, to see which one yields better results

Thanks for the suggestion!

Laura Bergamini
Laura Bergamini
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Laura Bergamini wrote:

As you quoted yourself,

Laura Bergamini wrote:
•Edited or confirmed segments are not overwritten. If you need to overwrite these segments, you need to clear them first using the Clear translations button on the Preparation ribbon tab.

MT segments show up as NOT CONFIRMED with a big red X and at 0%, which means translation not confirmed, and certainly not edited. They should be overwritten by default, they are not locked in any ways or haven't been touched.
This is a flaw in MemoQ in my opinion. I cannot be the only one facing this issue.

My client pays for MT output, so I cannot clear what has been applied and re-run MT myself.

The workaround to create a temporary MT memory is acceptable, and I thank you for the suggestion.

Neil Ashby

Laura Bergamini
Laura Bergamini
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER

so, as I don't give up easily I have resolved my issue by taking a different approach that doesn't require so many steps.

I tweaked the XLIFF file configuration during import (I created a new project with the same files), so that existing MT segments would not be mapped to a "partially edited" status (Draft), but rather would be left "unspecified". That way, they were completely overwriteable during pre-translation.

It worked, inserting new 100% and fuzzy matches that o
... See more
so, as I don't give up easily I have resolved my issue by taking a different approach that doesn't require so many steps.

I tweaked the XLIFF file configuration during import (I created a new project with the same files), so that existing MT segments would not be mapped to a "partially edited" status (Draft), but rather would be left "unspecified". That way, they were completely overwriteable during pre-translation.

It worked, inserting new 100% and fuzzy matches that overwrote MT where appropriate, but leaving all other MT untouched.

It's a bit convoluted as opposed to SDL Trados, where I simply retranslated my files with an updated TM, automatically overwriting anything if a better match was found.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pre-translation does not overwrite existing unconfirmed segments MemoQ 8.6

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »