How to handle Trados bilingual Word file in memoQ - not overwrite, export as bilingual instead
Thread poster: espoir03
espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
May 24, 2019

Hello,

I always work on Trados file using memoQ.
However, for xliff files, some agencies say my delivered xliff file worked on memoQ is corrupted and can't open it.
To solve this issue, these agencies send me Trados bilingual Word file.

In this case, I import Trados bilingual Word file into memoQ, translate and export.
Then, I copy my translation (because memoQ "overwrites" translation) and paste into "Target" segments and deliver to the client.
... See more
Hello,

I always work on Trados file using memoQ.
However, for xliff files, some agencies say my delivered xliff file worked on memoQ is corrupted and can't open it.
To solve this issue, these agencies send me Trados bilingual Word file.

In this case, I import Trados bilingual Word file into memoQ, translate and export.
Then, I copy my translation (because memoQ "overwrites" translation) and paste into "Target" segments and deliver to the client.

I was wondering if memoQ has any function which allows me to insert translation directly into "Target" segments, not overwrite in "Source" segments?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Akiko
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:10
English to French
Process used with old version May 24, 2019

In Word, change the font attributes of all columns you don't want translated to "hidden" (select text > Font > tick Hidden).
In v2013, hidden text doesn't show in the translation grid (or the preview pane).

EDIT: so here from the screenshot, you would hide all columns except "target segment". You translate in MemoQ, save the target file, open it in Word and "unhide" the hidden columns. Done.

Philippe

[Edited at 2019-05-24 15:10 GMT]

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How about Excel file? May 25, 2019

Hi Philippe,

Wow, many thanks. I didn't know at all about this Word function until today.
I just tried translating in memoQ and it worked, thanks so much!

Do you know how to export bilingual format when the project is in Excel?
For example, if the client asks me to insert translation in B column, is there any way I can do the same way for Word? I can't seem to find "hide" function for Excel.

For now, if the project is assigned in Excel, I just import to memoQ, translate, export, then insert source column next to target column to make the file bilingual.

Akiko

Philippe Etienne
Spain
English to French
Information is power May 25, 2019

Akiko Detke wrote:
Do you know how to export bilingual format when the project is in Excel?

Yes. I know everything (courtesy of the Doors)

From your example:
In Excel, copy the source column A to the target column B (keep column headers as they are)
In MemoQ (still 2013), choose Import with options>link "Change filter and configuration">Exclude and include ranges> Select ranges in Excel: in your case, select "Import only these ranges", and select column B in Excel
Translate in MemoQ, export target. Done.

I can only insist on serious learning of tools you use on a daily basis. You increase your productivity, can help out/direct/advise PMs that are having problems and therefore command higher rates. Training on tools (especially self-paced) is an investment that pays off quickly.

And it doesn't have to be expensive. In my case, a bit of money well spent in training resources had far more value than being always up-to-date with software or getting a badge.
K. Lossner's "MemoQ in quick steps" was a fantabulous resource for me in its time. It's full of real-life scenarios like that, and I encourage you to look for an updated version.
It seems there is also quite an array of free training videos at MemoQ's, Proz' or Youtube's.

In the Trados world, I hear that a manual from the SDL AppStore is also very useful, although priced at an SDL price. Surely there are also free video resources online.

Philippe

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Kevin Lossner's PDF book May 30, 2019

Hi Philippe,

Thank you so much! I just tried the Excel configuration with the project and it worked!
And yes, I subscribe to memoQ YouTube channel and Facebook page.
I attend memoQ webinar occasionally as well.

I found Kevin Lossner's memoQ guide on lulu.com.
However, I found 2 different versions:
- memoQ 6 in Quick Steps
Published in 2012, 196 pages

- memoQ in Quick Steps: Configuration
Published in 2014, 58 pages
... See more
Hi Philippe,

Thank you so much! I just tried the Excel configuration with the project and it worked!
And yes, I subscribe to memoQ YouTube channel and Facebook page.
I attend memoQ webinar occasionally as well.

I found Kevin Lossner's memoQ guide on lulu.com.
However, I found 2 different versions:
- memoQ 6 in Quick Steps

- memoQ in Quick Steps: Configuration
Published in 2014, 58 pages

Which version do you mean? Or should I buy both?
I tried to find the email of Mr. Kevin Lossner but couldn't find it. I found his website/blog though.

Akiko
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:10
English to Russian
There is a much easier way for bilingual Excel May 30, 2019

Just copy source column A and paste to column B.
Then hide column A by clicking right mouse button on letter ‘A’ above the first column and selecting Hide from the drop-down menu.
Translate normally.
Revert to Excel and unhide column A by clicking right mouse button on the triangle between lines and columns (top left corner) and selecting Unhide from the drop-down menu.
That’s it.

Update:
By the way, what is that wrong with your method? It is stil
... See more
Just copy source column A and paste to column B.
Then hide column A by clicking right mouse button on letter ‘A’ above the first column and selecting Hide from the drop-down menu.
Translate normally.
Revert to Excel and unhide column A by clicking right mouse button on the triangle between lines and columns (top left corner) and selecting Unhide from the drop-down menu.
That’s it.

Update:
By the way, what is that wrong with your method? It is still much easier than fiddling with configuration settings.

[Edited at 2019-05-30 22:16 GMT]
Collapse

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Hide" function in Excel May 31, 2019

Stepan,

Thanks for your info.

As far as I have experienced, memoQ automatically imports hided cells.
I just tried your way using the same file but when I exported and clicked on "unhide", both "source" and "target" column were translated/overwritten and there was no source text.
I am using memoQ 2014 by the way.

Akiko

Philippe Etienne
Spain
English to French
I bought this one May 31, 2019

Akiko Detke wrote:
...- memoQ 6 in Quick Steps

I don't have the other one, but I'm still learning things from this one whenever I feel "there may be a better way".
EDIT: in fact I've got the other one too, but I have yet to go through it...

Stepan's method may work with later versions, but apparently not with mine (2013 R2).
The process using configuration settings to translate parts of an Excel sheet may sound like killing a fly with a sledgehammer in your simple example. But in other instances where you have many columns and sheets either to translate/not to translate, it saves time and keeps your TMs free from unnecessary source=target.

Philippe

[Edited at 2019-05-31 09:47 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:10
English to Russian
Skip hidden rows and columns May 31, 2019

Akiko Detke wrote:
As far as I have experienced, memoQ automatically imports hided cells.
I just tried your way using the same file but when I exported and clicked on "unhide", both "source" and "target" column were translated/overwritten and there was no source text.
I am using memoQ 2014 by the way.
Akiko

You can 'Import With Options' and then go to the above-mentioned 'Change filter and configuration' pane, then check the 'Skip hidden rows and columns' checkbox. You have to change it just once.

However, your method is still the simplest one. If your column B is all empty, you do not need to change anything in your workflow.

That said, I do totally agree with Philippe in all other regards. Another day, you may get a more complicated task with cells partially populated. From there, you will definitely have to deal with configuration settings, etc.

[Edited at 2019-05-31 08:58 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Spain
English to French
Thanks May 31, 2019

Stepan Konev wrote:
...You can 'Import With Options' and then go to the above-mentioned 'Change filter and configuration' pane, then check the 'Skip hidden rows and columns' checkbox. You have to change it just once.

That's elegant, and the configuration can be saved for future use. It's likely quicker than the other method I mentioned in situations like Akiko's, and maybe more complex ones.
I'm not an advocate of the copy-paste method on the source file, because from experience, there is always the risk of destroying things (like a merged cell at the 4156th line in column FD). So it requires more care than ticking a checkbox! At least with the "Hide" option, the worst that can happen is to forget to "unhide" the text before delivery.

Philippe

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bought memoQ 6 in Quick Steps! Jun 2, 2019

Philippe,

Many thanks! I just bought memoQ 6 in Quick Steps.
I like the fact that e-Books allows me to search within book, which is not possible in hard copy.

I have never thought about buying memoQ manual (and never tried to look for it online or on Amazon) because memoQ is quite straightforward and could find answers online with quick research. However, thanks to your help and replies, now I realized I have many more things to learn to work more efficiently.
... See more
Philippe,

Many thanks! I just bought memoQ 6 in Quick Steps.
I like the fact that e-Books allows me to search within book, which is not possible in hard copy.

I have never thought about buying memoQ manual (and never tried to look for it online or on Amazon) because memoQ is quite straightforward and could find answers online with quick research. However, thanks to your help and replies, now I realized I have many more things to learn to work more efficiently.

Thank you so very much for finding my post and offering help!

Akiko
Collapse

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Amazing - thank you Stepan! Jun 2, 2019

Stepan Konev wrote:

You can 'Import With Options' and then go to the above-mentioned 'Change filter and configuration' pane, then check the 'Skip hidden rows and columns' checkbox. You have to change it just once.

However, your method is still the simplest one. If your column B is all empty, you do not need to change anything in your workflow.

That said, I do totally agree with Philippe in all other regards. Another day, you may get a more complicated task with cells partially populated. From there, you will definitely have to deal with configuration settings, etc.

[Edited at 2019-05-31 08:58 GMT]

Wow Stepan, this is amazing, thank you so much!
Until today, when my client sent me Excel file project with lots of hidden columns and/or rows, below was the process I was doing:
1. First import Excel directly into memoQ
2. Found out there are many hidden cells, so "remove" project from memoQ
3. Create new Excel file "Copy file" by copying and pasting the cells needed for translation from original Excel file
4. Import "Copy file" into memoQ, translate, then export
5. Copy and paste translation in "Copy file" back into the original Excel file client sent me

But from now on, I can save a lot of time using your method!!!
Since I mastered 2 different approach from Philippe and Stepan, I think I can choose use appropriate approach depending on the project.

Many thanks,

Akiko

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to handle Trados bilingual Word file in memoQ - not overwrite, export as bilingual instead

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »