Fabrice Brunon
Fabrice Brunon  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:26
English to French
+ ...
May 18, 2019

Hello,

I would need to be able to access local MemoQ TM's & TB's from several computers, and after looking into different ways of doing so, I came to the conclusion that a NAS server would be the cheapest and easiest solution to set up and use.

So, could someone using this setup kindly tell me if it's a good idea (I'm open to suggestions if there is a better way ), and what NAS server would be best to use
... See more
Hello,

I would need to be able to access local MemoQ TM's & TB's from several computers, and after looking into different ways of doing so, I came to the conclusion that a NAS server would be the cheapest and easiest solution to set up and use.

So, could someone using this setup kindly tell me if it's a good idea (I'm open to suggestions if there is a better way ), and what NAS server would be best to use in MemoQ for a TM & a TB (locally & remotely)

Thanks a lot

[Edited at 2019-05-18 17:05 GMT]
Collapse

Mehmet Karsli
Mehmet Karsli  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:26
French to Turkish
+ ...
NAS is the best ! May 18, 2019

Hello Fabrice,

I am using a Synology NAS server for years. I just upgraded it from a 2 disk model to a 4 disk model for larger capacity and especially for security against disk failure. I recommend to use a 4 disk model because when you use 2 disk, you can only mirroring between two disks, so 4 disk setup a more secure way.

There are several brands like Synology, Qnap, Drobo, Seagate, WD, etc. But on the sorfware side I find Synology more successful.

All
... See more
Hello Fabrice,

I am using a Synology NAS server for years. I just upgraded it from a 2 disk model to a 4 disk model for larger capacity and especially for security against disk failure. I recommend to use a 4 disk model because when you use 2 disk, you can only mirroring between two disks, so 4 disk setup a more secure way.

There are several brands like Synology, Qnap, Drobo, Seagate, WD, etc. But on the sorfware side I find Synology more successful.

All have a cloud system, eg. I have Translation, Photography, etc. folders in sync with this cloud and when translation in Trados of another soft., every segment translated is up to date with the file stored in NAS.

If you don't use cloud, of course you can use your TM files over the network from the NAS.

And the best thing, you can reach your files from everywhere in the world.

NAS is the best investment I made.
Collapse

Mathieu Domec

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
You may not need a dedicated server May 18, 2019

I've been using a NAS for about 10 years, but I don't have separate hardware for it, it's a piece of software that runs on my Wi-Fi router. On many routers you have to install it yourself, but there are models that come with it preinstalled - one good manufacturer that offers these is ASUS. Don't worry about performance, in your situation it's unimportant.

DZiW (X)

Fabrice Brunon
Fabrice Brunon  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 19, 2019

Thanks a lot for your answers!

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Forgot to mention... May 19, 2019

Forgot to mention: the storage interface of the routers is USB, so the easiest and most convenient way to organise a NAS would be to get a large-capacity USB 3.0/3.1 flash drive - the price has gone below €0.10 per gigabyte by now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a NAS server that would work best within MemoQ

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »