Anne Besnier
Anne Besnier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:35
English to French
+ ...
May 16, 2019

Hello,

I like to proofread my work in the target language (French) into Word. (I am not a big fan of the two columns English - French document.) Once I have made the final changes and delivered the job to the client, I don't know how to import the changes back into MemoQ and I would rather not do it manually.

Many thanks for any suggestions you can give me

Anne

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
If you make your changes in a regular Word document May 16, 2019

Then you can align the source and target documents and then import those translation units into your translation memory.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:35
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Can any CAT tool do that? May 16, 2019

I'm not aware of any CAT tool that can take the completed but modified (with final changes) target document and re-import it into the job for updating with changes.

One way to proofread the job with only the target text visible might be to export the job as a Trados compatible doc file. In this format, only the target text is visible text, but most of the formatting is stripped out. You can proofread this (with the source text hidden) then re-import it into MemoQ, which will update
... See more
I'm not aware of any CAT tool that can take the completed but modified (with final changes) target document and re-import it into the job for updating with changes.

One way to proofread the job with only the target text visible might be to export the job as a Trados compatible doc file. In this format, only the target text is visible text, but most of the formatting is stripped out. You can proofread this (with the source text hidden) then re-import it into MemoQ, which will update the changed segments.

[Edited at 2019-05-16 18:54 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
View Pane May 16, 2019

Have you tried using MemoQ's HTML Preview pane? It only shows the formatted target once the segment has been translated. Go to the View tab and click on the View Pane icon.

It's too late if you've already modified an exported Word file, though. In that case, alignment is the only solution I can think of, as already suggested.

Anne Besnier
Anne Besnier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all May 16, 2019

Thank you all for your comments. I will try them and hopefully something will work!

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:35
Dutch to English
You can import the edited Word document May 20, 2019

This is actually my favourite feature of MemoQ. Simply right-click on the document in the Translations view, and click on import reviewed document. You may have to manually align some segments, but I generally find this isn't too much work.

Olly

John Fossey
Andrew Poloyan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing proofread Word document back into MemoQ

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »