Multiple 101% matches (Using only one TM)
Thread poster: adrianrff
adrianrff
adrianrff
Venezuela
English to Spanish
Apr 3, 2019

According to memoQ documentation, one should only get one 101% match when using a single TM. However, when I edit and confirm a segment as a reviewer, the translation results pane sometimes immediately shows two 101% matches: the translator's version and my version. Furthermore, when a reviewer edits and confirms a same-context segment in another project, the reviewer's version does not overwrite the translator's; they both remain in the TM. I'm not sure if this is the default behavior, does mem... See more
According to memoQ documentation, one should only get one 101% match when using a single TM. However, when I edit and confirm a segment as a reviewer, the translation results pane sometimes immediately shows two 101% matches: the translator's version and my version. Furthermore, when a reviewer edits and confirms a same-context segment in another project, the reviewer's version does not overwrite the translator's; they both remain in the TM. I'm not sure if this is the default behavior, does memoQ differentiate the role of the linguist who confirmed the segment, even if the source is identical (including context)? Can it be configured so that it doesn't do that?

We are working on a very large project, which is divided into multiple memoQ projects (we set them up as they arrive), and this is a very annoying problem for us. There are two translators and two reviewers, and we would like the reviewers' versions to completely overwrite the translators', since there a lot repetitions across projects. So if in future projects a translator sees a 100% match, it could only mean that it was approved by a reviewer and it's not an older version that has already been edited. This happens a lot.

We have resorted to "penalize" the translators' entries and to use a working and a master TM, but this is not ideal.

Does anyone know why is memoQ showing two 101% matches if we are using a single TM (Working/Master). And any suggestions as to how to go about this project in order to guarantee that the 101/100% a translator sees is the edited and approved version of a reviewer? Apart from penalizing the translators' entries, that is.

Thanks in advance.

Note: I'm using memoQ 8.6, but we see the same behavior in 8.7.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:10
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Expected behaviour depending on how you created the TM Apr 4, 2019

When you create the TM, you can enable the "Allow multiple translations" option in the Behaviour group of the New translation memory dialog box. I suspect this is the case with your memory: it was created that way. You can check it by looking at the properties of your TM (select your TM, right click, Properties, or use the link at the bottom of the page).

This behaviour is offered for situations in which you have one single memory for several customers, use fields in y
... See more
When you create the TM, you can enable the "Allow multiple translations" option in the Behaviour group of the New translation memory dialog box. I suspect this is the case with your memory: it was created that way. You can check it by looking at the properties of your TM (select your TM, right click, Properties, or use the link at the bottom of the page).

This behaviour is offered for situations in which you have one single memory for several customers, use fields in your projects, and want to have everything together but filter by fields or similar operations. I am a one-translation-in-the-TM person, so in my office we have completely separate TMs for different customers never use multiple translations.

If you just want ONE translation for each source segment, You best option might be to make a TMX export of your memory (just to fall back to in case something goes wrong), delete the memory, and create one with "Allow multiple translations" disabled. Then you feed the memory with your latest, reviewed version of the segments.

I hope this helps!

[Edited at 2019-04-04 12:55 GMT]
Collapse

adrianrff
adrianrff
Venezuela
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
"Allow multiple translations" option not enabled. Apr 4, 2019

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

This behaviour is offered for situations in which you have one single memory for several customers, use fields in your projects, and want to have everything together but filter by fields or similar operations. I am a one-translation-in-the-TM person, so in my office we have completely separate TMs for different customers never use multiple translations.

If you just want ONE translation for each source segment, You best option might be to make a TMX export of your memory (just to fall back to in case something goes wrong), delete the memory, and create one with "Allow multiple translations" disabled. Then you feed the memory with your latest, reviewed version of the segments.

I hope this helps!

[Edited at 2019-04-04 12:55 GMT]

Thank you, Tomás.

That was my first guess, but the "Allow multiple translations" option is not enabled in the TM, which is why we're completely confused by this. The option to store context is, however, checked; this explains why we might be getting multiple 100% matches: they're all probably in different "contexts", but it doesn't explain why we are getting multiple 101% matches.

We would rather store context in this TM, as there are many cases in which the source segment text is the same, but the target needs to be rendered differently (e.g. 'draw a...' for 'dibujen un...' [instruction] and 'dibujar un...' [expectation/objective]), but if removing this option guarantees that only one translation is stored in the TM, I think we will have to do that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiple 101% matches (Using only one TM)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »