Piroska Dietlinde Draskóczy
Piroska Dietlinde Draskóczy  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 11:13
Member (2012)
Hungarian to German
+ ...
Nov 3, 2018

Using TransPDF, once I have translated the XLIFF in my CAT tool (MemoQ), can I only export a PDF or, for example, a Word file as well?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:13
English to Russian
I don't think you can Nov 3, 2018

TransPDF makes an xml file (XLIFF) from pdf. You translate the xml in your CAT and then export it back to pdf. MS Word is not involved. You still need to ocr it to get an MS Word file.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can export a bilingual RTF Nov 3, 2018

If you mean whether you can export a Word file that looks similar to the source PDF, I do not think you can do it. You can, however, export a bilingual RTF file containing columns for the source and the target text, if that is of any use to you. You would do it with "Export" - "Export bilingual" in the right-click menu of a file in the list of files of your project.

Hungary
Member (2012)
Hungarian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 8, 2018

Stepan and Tomás,
Thank you for your replies. In the meantime, I also received a reply from TransPDF themselves, and they said exactly what Tomás said.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:13
English to Russian
Misunderstood Nov 9, 2018

I thought you wanted a target file as converted from xliff. As for a 2-column rtf-file, you can generate it from any file regardless of whether it is from TransPDF or not.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Just to add... Nov 9, 2018

Piroska Dietlinde Draskóczy wrote:
Using TransPDF, once I have translated the XLIFF in my CAT tool, can I only export a PDF or, for example, a Word file as well?

Just in case this is not known to you:

If you want to have a target text Word file with similar formatting as the original, then you must convert your source text PDF file to a Word file first, e.g. using a PDF2RTF type of tool or using an OCR tool that also converts PDFs (e.g. Abbyy FineReader), and then translate that Word file itself.

However, you may find that the formatting isn't identical to the original PDF, and it may require extensive manual editor to fix the Word file so that it has the same formatting as the original PDF file. In some cases, it may be faster to re-create the Word file from scratch and simply copy/paste the text into the right places in the Word file. If you use an OCR tool to convert the PDF to Word, the finer the accuracy setting the less suitable your document is likely to be for translation.

Hungary
Member (2012)
Hungarian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course, I know Nov 10, 2018

Hello Samuel,
Of course, I know that. That's partly why I asked my question, i.e. to find out whether this problem has been overcome – but it hasn't.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TransPDF and possible output format/s

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »