Finding tags in an XML document
Thread poster: Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 23:33
German to English
+ ...
Sep 27, 2018

I have a fairly large XML document with 4000 segments.
My customer has requested that certain XML tags should have a specific translation for a specific term, whereas other XML tags should have a different translation for the same term.

Is there some way to search for XML tags so I can check that I have made the requested changes?
1. I can see the tags in the preview; can I browse from them?
2. The exported bilingual 2-column RTF contains only tag references, such
... See more
I have a fairly large XML document with 4000 segments.
My customer has requested that certain XML tags should have a specific translation for a specific term, whereas other XML tags should have a different translation for the same term.

Is there some way to search for XML tags so I can check that I have made the requested changes?
1. I can see the tags in the preview; can I browse from them?
2. The exported bilingual 2-column RTF contains only tag references, such as {1}. Is there some way that I can show the full tags?
3. Because memoQ hangs when I try to export the target document, I cannot check that.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Question 2 Sep 27, 2018

Anthony Rudd wrote:
2. The exported bilingual 2-column RTF contains only tag references, such as {1}. Is there some way that I can show the full tags?

When in the Bilingual Export Wizard in my MemoQ 2013 after clicking the link Export bilingual and choosing 2 column rtf, I can select the checkbox "Export the full text of inline tags" that presumably does what you require, although I have never tried.

Regarding 1. and 3., exploring "Import with options" and/or Format>Edit inline tags may help.
And sometimes the Help feature also helps.

Philippe

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Export bilingual with full tags Sep 27, 2018

Thanks Philippe
this is just what I wanted. Unfortunately my memoQ 7.8.175 always resets my activated "Export the full text..." to the standard internal format.

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Target export Oct 3, 2018

After further investigation, I found that the system "hangs" after completing the XML export. As such, I could check the tags in the XML file. A better solution would be for the Preview "editor" to support the Find operation that would allow me to search for the XML tags.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding tags in an XML document

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »