No Server access under Win XP - Secure Tcp?
Thread poster: Lutz Plueckhahn
Lutz Plueckhahn
Lutz Plueckhahn  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:57
Member (2003)
English to German
Aug 21, 2018

Dear all,

Since my customer has updated their MemoQ server I have no access via MemoQ 2015 under Windows XP. It works under Windows 7 using the same MemoQ version, though.

My guess is that it has to do with the fact that the server now uses "Secure Tcp" as opposed to "Tcp".
... See more
Dear all,

Since my customer has updated their MemoQ server I have no access via MemoQ 2015 under Windows XP. It works under Windows 7 using the same MemoQ version, though.

My guess is that it has to do with the fact that the server now uses "Secure Tcp" as opposed to "Tcp".

I found instructions under https://help.memoq.com/8-4/en/memoQ-server-deployment-tool/deptool-configure-server.html

Here, they say: "It is not recommended to use Secure TCP. To set up a secure connection, use HTTPS" (whatever this means).

Is there any chance to make MemoQ communicate again under WinXP with this server? Does WinXP support "Secure Tcp" at all?

Thanks!
Lutz
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
ports/certificates Aug 21, 2018

While secure connection require memoQ 2015 R2 or higher, there's no HTTP[i]S[/t] protocol, but rather an HTTP extension over TLS or SSL using 443 port. Therefore, it must be either port (firewall?) or (self-)certification issue (for a mutual mode), not the OS.

However, I found (open)
... See more
While secure connection require memoQ 2015 R2 or higher, there's no HTTP[i]S[/t] protocol, but rather an HTTP extension over TLS or SSL using 443 port. Therefore, it must be either port (firewall?) or (self-)certification issue (for a mutual mode), not the OS.

However, I found (open)VPN or--at least--Hamachi, Tunngle, Evolve, GameRanger, and other LAN-over-inet emulators work better than custom configurations, yet mostly for simple, not mutual (server-based) mode, alas.

[Edited at 2018-08-21 15:22 GMT]
Collapse

Lutz Plueckhahn
Member (2003)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but what do I do now? Aug 22, 2018

DZiW wrote:

Not sure whether there's a 2015 R2 version, but I guess I have the latest build (7.8.175).

I tried deactivating the firewall, but to no avail. No idea what to do regarding certification, especially as there was no certification routine (or at least I didn't notice any) on the Win7 system where everything works OK.

Thanks anyway for your explanation!

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
@Lutz Aug 24, 2018

Hopefully you're using something like SuRun (a free UAC) and Sandboxie, as for the server, why don't you ask your client or the server admins? What your firewall log says when you're trying to connect? Besides nagging about XP, they may check the log and give you a couple of useful pieces of advices--as making sure whether you can reach the server port at all, say,
telnet xx.xx.xx.xx:port
or
nmap
Once I was blacklisted for working via a grey IP, so I wastedalmost a day on possible troubleshooting whereas it was the server side.

[Edited at 2018-08-24 11:45 GMT]

Lutz Plueckhahn
Member (2003)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
It's the Operation System Aug 27, 2018

Hi again,

Here's the explanation from the MemoQ support:

The server uses Secure TCP TLS 1.2. The windows xp only supports TLS 1.0 while the Windows 7 supports TLS 1.2
That is why you can access the server on windows 7 but not on windows xp.
Unfortunately, this is a OS limitation.

Thanks for your help!
Lutz

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
https://www.secureblackbox.com/kb/articles/Support-TLS-to-your-Windows-XP-Vista.rst Aug 27, 2018

Meanwhile, making it even more confusing--it's very XP WinInet and SChannel API (system dlls) that don't support newer protocols, because some software and browsers on XP SP3 do support TLS 1.2 alright. There're a few tricks from borrowing ReactOS libraries to messing with registry and Vista/7 or Ser... See more
Meanwhile, making it even more confusing--it's very XP WinInet and SChannel API (system dlls) that don't support newer protocols, because some software and browsers on XP SP3 do support TLS 1.2 alright. There're a few tricks from borrowing ReactOS libraries to messing with registry and Vista/7 or Server'2008/Embedded files or https://www.secureblackbox.com/kb/articles/Support-TLS-to-your-Windows-XP-Vista.rst and even https://sockettools.com/kb-support-for-tls-1-2-form/ , yet it's far from simple solution.

Funny, that in 2012 some experts stated it along the line and finally
As per PCI DSS version 3.1, “SSL and early (1.0, 1.1, 1.2) TLS are not considered strong cryptography and cannot be used as a security control after June 30, 2016.”
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No Server access under Win XP - Secure Tcp?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »