Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:29
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 11, 2018

Hi Collegues,

I'm trying to import a Pdf file to be translated. How can I manage it?

Thanks
Lucia

Mostafa Kamel
Mostafa Kamel
Egypt
English
+ ...
the best way in my opinion Aug 23, 2018

convert it into word formate ( with adobe pro or Abby converter .. etc )

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
OCR Aug 23, 2018

First, the PDF format is for publishing, not for modifications--why not ask the client for an editable version? It does take extra time and efforts, so many translators charge extra for DTP--especially for complicated formats (charts, columns, forms, etc).

Usually there're two PDF types: (1) with a text layer (where one could select or even search words or save as a plain text)
... See more
First, the PDF format is for publishing, not for modifications--why not ask the client for an editable version? It does take extra time and efforts, so many translators charge extra for DTP--especially for complicated formats (charts, columns, forms, etc).

Usually there're two PDF types: (1) with a text layer (where one could select or even search words or save as a plain text) and (2) a 'dead' one (where only scanned images).

I used to OCR (digitize into a text file) via FineReader, yet now I prefer either to ask the client, or convert via WordFast Anywhere (freetm.com). However, even for relatively simple layouts it does require some cleaning up, specially with truncated lines/segments and malformatted sections.
Collapse

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OCR is the best solution Aug 23, 2018

Thanks for your tips.

In the end I used Abby Fine Reader to ocr the file and the result was quite good with a quite definitive layout.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a PDF with MemoQ 2014

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »