Thread poster: Sara Baroni
Sara Baroni
Sara Baroni  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:09
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 25, 2018

Hi guys,

I have been using memoQ (both 8.2 and 2015) and WORD spellcheck in combination for years without any problems. To clarify, I have an English UK version of Office 2010 with the Italian language package for the Italian spellcheck.

On Friday I upgraded the old Office 2010 to Office 365. Again the English UK version. Then I downloaded the Italian package for spellcheck and grammar, as directed by Microsoft. All installed without problems.

However, now
... See more
Hi guys,

I have been using memoQ (both 8.2 and 2015) and WORD spellcheck in combination for years without any problems. To clarify, I have an English UK version of Office 2010 with the Italian language package for the Italian spellcheck.

On Friday I upgraded the old Office 2010 to Office 365. Again the English UK version. Then I downloaded the Italian package for spellcheck and grammar, as directed by Microsoft. All installed without problems.

However, now memoQ (neither version) does not find Word when running spellcheck.

I go into memoQ options, select the language (Italian) and then select the Word spellcheck, which is fine. I have restarted memoQ numerous times too. But then when I run the spellcheck, memoQ says "Microsoft Word" is not available. I even opened Word at the same time and it works and it has the Italian spellcheck.

Does anyone have any clues?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Collapse

Gusztáv Jánvári
Gusztáv Jánvári  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 08:09
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It may be a Word issue Jun 26, 2018

Hi Sara, this may be an Office issue as well. Try to use the Word spellchecker from another application that uses it. You may also want to restart your computer.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 09:09
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Bitness problem Jun 26, 2018

Kilgray insisted that this problem was due to a "weak" or "lesser" edition of Office. Such edition does not exist, though. I have Office 365.

The problem is really due to memoq 8 deciding bitness automatically: if your system is a 64-bit system, memoq will run its 64-bit version. Now, if you have installed the 32-bit version of Office, that's why memoq says "Word is not available".

I did my own research and found that, as Kilgray's terrible support wanted me to yet agai
... See more
Kilgray insisted that this problem was due to a "weak" or "lesser" edition of Office. Such edition does not exist, though. I have Office 365.

The problem is really due to memoq 8 deciding bitness automatically: if your system is a 64-bit system, memoq will run its 64-bit version. Now, if you have installed the 32-bit version of Office, that's why memoq says "Word is not available".

I did my own research and found that, as Kilgray's terrible support wanted me to yet again submit a project backup, as always, for any kind of problem...

Now that I did the work their developers should have done, I hope they provide a solution soon, because the Hunspell checkers for Greek are very poor.
Collapse

I_CH

Sara Baroni
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Jun 26, 2018

So it turns out there was a conflict with my old Office software. I disinstalled that and then a Microsoft technician repaired Office for me and reinstalled the language package. I can confirm all is working now. I did it through the online chat help of Office, which I must say was impressive.

Thanks everyone!

Noémi Trója (X)
Noémi Trója (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
how did you solve the problem? Sep 14, 2019

hi,

could you please tell me from which site did you install the language package? I have the same problem you described above. I have installed Office 365 today (as I bought it a couple of days ago). MemoQ worked with the previous Office (which I uninstalled before installing the new one), but it cannot find the new one (says "Word is no available"). I have already uninstalled and re-installed Office, restarted memoQ, restarted my computer, but nothing works, and I really do need t
... See more
hi,

could you please tell me from which site did you install the language package? I have the same problem you described above. I have installed Office 365 today (as I bought it a couple of days ago). MemoQ worked with the previous Office (which I uninstalled before installing the new one), but it cannot find the new one (says "Word is no available"). I have already uninstalled and re-installed Office, restarted memoQ, restarted my computer, but nothing works, and I really do need the spellchecker (about to hand in a huge project in a couple of days).

I would really appreciate if you could help!

Many thanks!
Collapse

Sara Baroni
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Contact Office 365 support Sep 16, 2019

Hi, the best way I found was to get chatting to an Office 365 helper. Since you are paying for it the support service I found is not that bad. Give it a try, they really helped! Good luck.

Kathleen Misson
Kathleen Misson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
memoQ client 7.8 version supports only the Microsoft Office 2013 version Dec 14, 2021

Just sharing this in case it is helpful to someone.
Yesterday I uninstalled office 2013 (because every time I export a document from MemoQ, the office suite launches 2013 reinstall configuration).
Reinstalled office 365.
Word spellchecker doesn't work. Tried all the configuration settings, restarted PC, etc. Nothing.
The solution is €600 for the new version of MemoQ, or maybe I will try to roll back windows to the previous 2013 installation.

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
It is happening again Sep 8, 2022

In my case with memoQ 9.3 and Word 365 in its up-to-date version (2207 - Build 15427.202010).

And Trados users are having the same problem: https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/42963/microsoft-word-spell-check-not-working/140676

Apparent
... See more
In my case with memoQ 9.3 and Word 365 in its up-to-date version (2207 - Build 15427.202010).

And Trados users are having the same problem: https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/42963/microsoft-word-spell-check-not-working/140676

Apparently memoQ (and also Trados Studio) creates a temporary file named similar to "~WRC0000.tmp" in the following folder during spellchecking, and this file is identified by MS Word as containing macros and coming from a non-trusted source:
C:\Users\*USERPROFILE*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Word
This folder cannot be made a trusted folder in Word (which makes sense as it seems to be an internet cache folder judging from its name).

Allowing all macros in Word did not lead to any change in this behavior.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Zoran Gjuzelov

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
Update Sep 8, 2022

MemoQ support tells me that Windows is the culprit: "... Windows Defender generates false reports for Chromium-based applications, a technology used in software displaying contents from the web".

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
I never did manage to get ANY spellcheck to work within MemoQ Sep 12, 2022

In the end, I just export files to docx and spellcheck them in Word.

On the bright side, I can search through other previous work done easily without exiting the open project in MemoQ, locked translation memories from clients become somewhat less of an obstacle, and it gives me a better look at the final result than the "preview" window (which has some bugs of its own in MemoQ 9.x versions).

Sure, it wastes ~2 minutes per file, but it has its benefits.

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Solved by updating memoQ Jan 25, 2023

Had the same issue with memoQ 9.3, solved it by updating to 9.12.9, with Hunspell dictionary option:

Untitled-1

Still can't use the dictionary from MS Word though, Office still blocking memoQ for silly security reasons or something, which means that I need to re-add the words to be ignored.

There must be a way to overcome Office's resistance to access from memoQ. Can't contact the Office help desk either.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word spellcheck problems

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »