Thread poster: Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Local time: 15:31
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
May 16, 2018

Hi all,

I'm not sure how to name the functionality I'd like to see implemented / inquire about its possible existence in the present MemoQ release, but let's call it advance scroll".

The bottom line is: Trados never allows the editor window to move to the very bottom of the text visible on the screen, always leaving at least one segment in "advance", and hence enabling you to preview the further context of the segment you are currently translating, which is obviously ne
... See more
Hi all,

I'm not sure how to name the functionality I'd like to see implemented / inquire about its possible existence in the present MemoQ release, but let's call it advance scroll".

The bottom line is: Trados never allows the editor window to move to the very bottom of the text visible on the screen, always leaving at least one segment in "advance", and hence enabling you to preview the further context of the segment you are currently translating, which is obviously necessary sometimes to make any sense of what you are to translate.

MemoQ doesn't do that, forcing you instead to scroll the window manually all the time. This is particularly annoying given how slow and influent scrolling is in MemoQ, alas.

Is there a way to achieve the same functionality in MemoQ as in Trados?
Collapse

Ursula Emmanouilidou

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:31
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
I asked for it many years ago May 16, 2018

This feature is one I would like to see, too. I asked memoQ to implement it several years ago, but I don't think they ever will: with memoQ 8 they seem to have abandoned the product. At least that is the impression they give: to little real work, too many blog posts and other 'social' work, like they are addressing a bunch of hipsters or 'creative types'. Instead of making a new "Q" they could have overhauled the GUI of memoQ, which is an inconsistent mess of a dozen different design languages.<... See more
This feature is one I would like to see, too. I asked memoQ to implement it several years ago, but I don't think they ever will: with memoQ 8 they seem to have abandoned the product. At least that is the impression they give: to little real work, too many blog posts and other 'social' work, like they are addressing a bunch of hipsters or 'creative types'. Instead of making a new "Q" they could have overhauled the GUI of memoQ, which is an inconsistent mess of a dozen different design languages.

An alternative that I have also described to them is to make a 'smart Page Down' feature: when you reach the bottom of the editor and press Page Down, have the next segment appear on top of the grid (if the last one you saw at the bottom was 5, then have segment 6 appear on top after you press Page Down). Right now, most times you lose one segment when you do this, so you have to press Page Down and then Alt+Up. But, again, I got no response to this idea.

Déjà Vu's approach (lock scrolling) is not good, either. It means that you are stuck at the first segment when you start with a new document until you grab the mouse and select the place where you want the lock to happen. Not quite efficient, not quite smart.

Finally, locking in the centre of the grid (or in any other position, as you can in Déjà Vu) means that every time you move from one segment to another, the whole grid moves, which is slow and tiring for the eyes – it can actually make one dizzy after prolonged use.

All in all, Trados has got this one right. The tool that is a UX nightmare for the most part has this very neat behaviour, which you are exposed to all the time. I like it a lot.
Collapse

Ursula Emmanouilidou

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gee May 16, 2018

It's often hard to believe how the most basic and really needed functionalities sometimes escape the attention of developers who prefer to focus on a multitude of not-so-necessary bells and whistles instead.

Not even to mention really basic stuff, such as the abhorrently laggy scroll in MemoQ. But I am aware that this is probably due to the "engine" of the software and pretty much impossible to improve.

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
View tab May 16, 2018

Try going to the View tab, then Active Row, then tick In the Middle. It works for me. I find the process very smooth and it doesn't make me feel dizzy at all.

HTH.

(it's an option that's existed ever since I began using MemoQ seven or so years ago)

[Edited at 2018-05-16 10:16 GMT]

Gusztáv Jánvári
Hans Christian von Steuber

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
! May 16, 2018

That might actually do the trick, thanks! I'll test it with the next project.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Off topic May 16, 2018

Katherine, that is not what we are talking about.

Katherine Mérignac
France
Member (2004)
OK May 16, 2018

Apologies, I thought you were looking for a way of keeping the editing window in the middle of the screen so that you could always see the the context before and after the sentence you're working on, i.e. the text scrolls automatically as you work on the document so that you never need to scroll the window manually. My mistake.

Hans Christian von Steuber

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:31
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
"In the Middle" May 16, 2018

Ekhangel wrote:

Is there a way to achieve the same functionality in MemoQ as in Trados?

Not only the same as Trados but also better, IMHO.

View tab > Active Row > In the Middle

If you choose In the Middle (Left/Right) you get a side-by-side view similar to Trados. If you choose In the Middle (Horizontal) you get a top and bottom view of the source text on top of the target text, which in my opinion is light years better than Trados, and one of the main reasons I prefer MemoQ over Trados (I have both).

The segment being worked on stays at the same place in the view window which, for me at least, is much less tiring than having to constantly look at a different spot of the screen as the translation progresses.

As Katherine says, this feature has always been there, AFAIK.

[Edited at 2018-05-16 12:55 GMT]

Gusztáv Jánvári

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:31
Danish to English
+ ...
Active Row does it for me May 16, 2018

Katherine Mérignac wrote:

Try going to the View tab, then Active Row, then tick In the Middle. It works for me. I find the process very smooth and it doesn't make me feel dizzy at all.

HTH.

(it's an option that's existed ever since I began using MemoQ seven or so years ago)

Thank you, that was very helpful, and not off topic. I wasn't aware of this function, but In the middle does what I want.

I'll leave the top-bottom view to John. I can't work like that. The main thing is that features and functions can be customised to individual preferences.

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Posts not approved May 16, 2018

My two responses seem not to be approved yet, but either way - thanks a lot for the suggestion Katherine, it does the trick and does respond to my initial question.

Life's become easier, comrades!

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:31
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Customising MemoQ May 16, 2018

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

The main thing is that features and functions can be customised to individual preferences.

One thing I like about customising MemoQ is that I can place these Active Row controls, and others, on a Quick Access ribbon which is customised to my preferences.

Katherine Mérignac
France
Member (2004)
Great May 16, 2018

So glad it's helped

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
On topic May 16, 2018

It turns out that your suggestion was just what the original poster needed, Katherine. I apologize for dismissing your post as irrelevant.

Katherine Mérignac
France
Member (2004)
No worries May 17, 2018

No worries Epameinondas

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
refresh blink Jun 19, 2018

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Finally, locking in the centre of the grid (or in any other position, as you can in Déjà Vu) means that every time you move from one segment to another, the whole grid moves, which is slow and tiring for the eyes – it can actually make one dizzy after prolonged use.

Hi again,

Been wondering why you found it tiring for the eyes. Is it because of an ugly "refresh blink" that can often be seen on the screen when moving the entire text body in MemoQ - at least on my PC? It can drive one nuts indeed, and I was wondering if anyone has found a solution to this.

Edward Bradburn

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Advance scroll"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »