Thread poster: Carolien Hermans
Carolien Hermans
Carolien Hermans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:56
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 9, 2017

Hi, I use MemoQ 2014. My knowledge of the tool is still basic. I heve never used an external TM for a translation job. How do I import an external TM from an agency into my own MemoQ programme? I think it must be simple but I cannot seem to find the option in MemoQ or in its help function.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simple! Nov 9, 2017

(I assume you have the external TM in TMX format. If you do not, you have to export from the other CAT tool into this format, or ask the customer to do so.)

You know that you need to have a project in memoQ to translate your file. One of the elements in this project is the translation memory(ies). With your project open, go to your Translation memories pane, right-click the memory you want to import your TM into and select Import from TMX/CSV.

Now browse t
... See more
(I assume you have the external TM in TMX format. If you do not, you have to export from the other CAT tool into this format, or ask the customer to do so.)

You know that you need to have a project in memoQ to translate your file. One of the elements in this project is the translation memory(ies). With your project open, go to your Translation memories pane, right-click the memory you want to import your TM into and select Import from TMX/CSV.

Now browse to your TMX file and open it. memoQ will parse the TMX file to find the languages available in the TMX (while most TMX files are made as bilingual files, they can potentially contain many languages). Select the language code you want to assign to your source language, and the same with the target language. When you go ahead, the external memory is added to your memory in the project.

I hope this helps a bit!
Collapse

Isabel Vidigal

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:56
Danish to English
+ ...
Project Home Nov 9, 2017

In an existing project, you go to Project Home – Translation Memories – Import from TMX/CSV.

Another way to navigate to translation memories from anywhere is to click on MemoQ upper left, then Resources - Resource Console – Translation Memories. Be sure to select My Computer as Server URL (in the field on top). You can also import from there.

Note that the Studio format SDLTM is not supported.

Carolien Hermans
Carolien Hermans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
import external TM into MemoQ? Nov 9, 2017

Thanks guys, this works! The client seems to have sent me two separate TMs in one file (?). And I could not select the source and target language either, it seemed to be pre-determined. The TM name shows the right source and target language however.

Enote
Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:56
English to Russian
One more possible step Nov 9, 2017

I suppose at first you should create your own (empty) TM for this project (with correct languages), if you didn't have any TM for this project yet.
Then just import your client TM into your TM and you can use it as usual.
Good luck!

[Редактировалось 2017-11-09 18:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

import external TM into MemoQ?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »