Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Translation grid wasting space + quick scroll?!
Thread poster: Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Local time: 16:38
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
Oct 28, 2017

Hi all,

Just finished a smaller project with MemoQ license provided from an agency, and the software is utterly disappointing compared to Trados 2011. Sure, there's probably a learning/adaptation curve and all, but there are two things with it that incredibly decreased my productivity and increased irritability:

1. Why are the translation grid segments wasting so much scr
... See more
Hi all,

Just finished a smaller project with MemoQ license provided from an agency, and the software is utterly disappointing compared to Trados 2011. Sure, there's probably a learning/adaptation curve and all, but there are two things with it that incredibly decreased my productivity and increased irritability:

1. Why are the translation grid segments wasting so much screen space? See:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cr3z48c9e8ehhsv/Przechwytywanie.PNG?dl=0

It seems to do that for all text included in tables, but I'm not sure. I don't really feel like investigating into it that much - especially given the below, probably unsolvable problem:

2. What's up with the mouse scroll? Does it really have to be so slow? It makes my Logitech's quick scroll wheel useless, and makes me feel "back in 1989". And we're talking 2017 software.
Collapse

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:38
Italian to English
+ ...
never seen that Oct 28, 2017

I'm not sure why you're seeing that, but rest assured we seasoned users would not be if that was (ever) the user experience with memoQ. i wouldn't be surprised if most people came to memoQ after getting so totally fed up with rival software and at last found a highly productive environment.
So clearly for you there is something going on and I imagine you can get an answer from memoQ support, who are generally excellent (even though you're not a licence holder)

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:39
German to Turkish
+ ...
I agree with Anthony.. Oct 29, 2017

I am using memoQ for 3 years now and I have never seen that.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:39
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please Oct 29, 2017

Ekhangel wrote:
1. Why are the translation grid segments wasting so much screen space?

Can you please show a full screen capture? I do not quite see what you mean with the "wasted space". memoQ has always been the tool that makes the best use of screen space.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Probably, Oct 30, 2017

this is because you use a very small font size (8?). The minimum height of memoQ segment boxes is roughly two 8-font lines. I think most translators set a greater font value just as soon as they open thier first project. (I work with 18.) That is why nobody noticed this behavior.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Now I get it... 16 here! Oct 30, 2017

Stepan Konev wrote:
this is because you use a very small font size (8?).

Indeed. 16 here, with a resolution of 1366x768 on a landscape-format screen. In my opinion, it is best to use a larger font in the grid with a higher resolution, so that you have the option of showing more concordance items in the Translation results pane by changing the font size there too. (Just in case the poster does not know: you can easily change the appearance with right-click in any area and selecting Customize Appearance).

In any case, honestly I do not see why packing a lot of segments on screen is so important. To me, what is vital is to have a couple of segments before and after the current segment. Maybe the poster could try other layouts (press F11 repeatedly for a cycle of the available layouts, in case other layouts seem more appropriate).

One thing I rarely find useful is the preview. It takes a lot of space and adds to the time it takes for memoQ to import files. I very much prefer to keep the actual file open in its native application and look at the actual location when in doubt of the context.

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thx Oct 30, 2017

Thanks for your responses.

The font size was actually 20 or so. By wasted screen space I mean the unoccupied (=wasted, imho) space below the text in the segments. It must be some sort of a bug, since there are segments within the same document that don't look like that. See: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fj44jbl595fagh0/Przechwytywanie2.PNG?dl=0

S
... See more
Thanks for your responses.

The font size was actually 20 or so. By wasted screen space I mean the unoccupied (=wasted, imho) space below the text in the segments. It must be some sort of a bug, since there are segments within the same document that don't look like that. See: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fj44jbl595fagh0/Przechwytywanie2.PNG?dl=0

So, since you didn't mention the scrolling... Am I to accept that slow and awfully laggy (when scrolling with Shift held) scroll as normal? Oh boy. Feels like driving a car with the brake pedal working at 4 levels of pressure, instead of the full, stepless range. Possible to drive, sure, but I'd rather not.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Bug Oct 30, 2017

I hardly use scrolling or mouse at all. I am more comfortable with keys. So I cannot add anything about it.
What regards font size, do you mean 20 for the original file?
Also, it would be more informative if you enable the non-printing characters and show the entire layout but not only either source or target cut.

Update. Here is a discussion with screenshots stating this
... See more
I hardly use scrolling or mouse at all. I am more comfortable with keys. So I cannot add anything about it.
What regards font size, do you mean 20 for the original file?
Also, it would be more informative if you enable the non-printing characters and show the entire layout but not only either source or target cut.

Update. Here is a discussion with screenshots stating this is a bug in memoQ 8.1
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/memoQ/conversations/topics/46516

[Edited at 2017-10-30 10:33 GMT]
Collapse

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
res Oct 30, 2017

But keys don't let you do precise scrolling, do they? They can only be used to jump around the document. Also, by font 20 I mean MemoQ's font. I have an ultrawide 32'' monitor with 3440 x 1440 resolution.

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MemoQ Support, here I come Nov 1, 2017

Been doing some other documents in MemoQ meanwhile, and the "wasted space" problem applies to all of them. I guess I'll contact MemoQ support about this.

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:39
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
resolution Nov 1, 2017

Ekhangel wrote:

But keys don't let you do precise scrolling, do they? They can only be used to jump around the document. Also, by font 20 I mean MemoQ's font. I have an ultrawide 32'' monitor with 3440 x 1440 resolution.

It's probably your resolution. I have been having similar and other display issues (truncation of windows etc.) on higher than HD resolutions. Reverting to HD resolution should maybe fix the display issues (or it has in my case).
It seems 8.2 is optimized for higher resolution screens, not sure if this applies to ultrawide as well.
Have not found a solution for the scrolling issue, which is very annoying. Scrolling is still as slow in v. 8.2 as in previous versions :/
Good luck.

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just a regular rant Nov 1, 2017

Cristiana Coblis wrote:
Have not found a solution for the scrolling issue, which is very annoying. Scrolling is still as slow in v. 8.2 as in previous versions :/
Good luck.

The speed of it isn't as much of an issue (if you hold shift while scrolling) as its unsmoothness. I guess we're not picky if we expect scrolling to work fine in ANY type of text editor, especially one with an asking price of over 500 euros.

Sorry to say that, but MemoQ gives me an impression of being a poorly executed Trados ripoff. Though, to be fair, Trados 2017 worked like a nightmare on my brand new Surface Pro i5, lagging like hell for no apparent reason, having undersized buttons (on a 2800 x sth resolution), and somehow having lost touch scrolling capability which its much older predecessor - Studio 2011 - supported flawlessly.

These are tough times for CAT users...

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:39
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, ... Nov 1, 2017

Ekhangel wrote:

Cristiana Coblis wrote:
Good luck.

The speed of it isn't as much of an issue (if you hold shift while scrolling) as its unsmoothness. I guess we're not picky if we expect scrolling to work fine in ANY type of text editor, especially one with an asking price of over 500 euros.

Sorry to say that, but MemoQ gives me an impression of being a poorly executed Trados ripoff. Though, to be fair, Trados 2017 worked like a nightmare on my brand new Surface Pro i5, lagging like hell for no apparent reason, having undersized buttons (on a 2800 x sth resolution), and somehow having lost touch scrolling capability which its much older predecessor - Studio 2011 - supported flawlessly.

These are tough times for CAT users...

Ha ha, they sure are, if you remain stuck in the world of the Big Players. Give yourself a break, and switch to CafeTran, which is a CAT tool designed for us translators, not for the agencies, or ‘LSPs’, as they are now called.

Just yesterday, I emailed this to a colleague:

wordcount robbery

This is where the fun is at these days: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions

Michael

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just one tiny tiny detail... Nov 1, 2017

Ekhangel wrote:
Sorry to say that, but MemoQ gives me an impression of being a poorly executed Trados ripoff.

Sorry, but this is a completely unfounded conclusion. Just so that you have the facts, memoQ was first launched in 2006, while SDL Studio was launched in 2009... If there is a rip-off-situation here, it would be the opposite of what you guessed. It is always good to examine the facts before unjustly critizicing some tool.

What I would suggest is that you either A) stop using such a terribly bad tool, or B) take the time to discover how to use it properly. After being a memoQ user for 8 years, I would not switch to SDL Studio if paid to do it!

(Edited to correct a date.)

[Edited at 2017-11-01 21:40 GMT]

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Nov 1, 2017

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Ekhangel wrote:
Sorry to say that, but MemoQ gives me an impression of being a poorly executed Trados ripoff.

Sorry, but this is a completely unfounded conclusion. Just so that you have the facts, memoQ was first launched in 2006, while SDL Studio was launched in 2007... If there is a rip-off-situation here, it would be the opposite of what you guessed. It is always good to examine the facts before unjustly critizicing some tool.

What I would suggest is that you either A) stop using such a terribly bad tool, or B) take the time to discover how to use it properly. After being a memoQ user for 8 years, I would not switch to SDL Studio if paid to do it!

"My sources" tell me that Trados released its "Translator's Workbench" in 1994. Studio, its continuator, was released in 2005, according to Wikipedia.

I'm still hesitating if I want to deal with MemoQ or not. The problem is - dropping it would cost me collaboration with an agency that's been giving me more and more assignments recently - along with a free server license.

[Edited at 2017-11-01 17:38 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation grid wasting space + quick scroll?!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »