Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Translation grid wasting space + quick scroll?!
Thread poster: Dominic D.
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:25
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
what I know or remember Nov 1, 2017

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Ekhangel wrote:
"My sources" tell me that Trados released its "Translator's Workbench" in 1994. Studio, its continuator, was released in 2005, according to Wikipedia.

Sorry, but Studio is not the old Trados, but a completely new product. According to SDL, the first version of Studio came in 2009, i.e. 3 years after the first memoQ (I was confused when I mentioned 2007; that was version 8.0 of the old Trados). You can read the whole story here: http://www.sdltrados.com/about/history.html

(The Wikipedia in English does not mention 2005 as the date of release of Studio.)

On a side note, as far as I know, there were originally two companies:

1. Trados, with its Workbench program (Word-based) + TagEditor (grid-based), and
2. SDLX, with its SDLX program.

Trados bought SDLX, and turned SDLX, or the idea behind it (I'm not sure) into its new SDL Studio.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
‘Tools that are much better than memoQ’? … CafeTran. Nov 1, 2017

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Cristiana Coblis wrote:
I do not get this argument. What exactly is the logic beyond simple preference?

I just thought you'd be willing to provide examples of other tools that are much better than memoQ. If you prefer other tools and feel that memoQ slows you down, there must be compelling reasons which should be easy to share.

As for the yearly maintenance fee, I pay it very happily: for roughly 50 cents per working day, I am about 30% more productive than with any other tool I have tried, and enjoy a very good support and access to all developments. Those are my main reasons to have memoQ as my main tool.

I don't mind paying the annual memoQ fee either, even if don't actually use it in my daily work (I just like to keep all my CAT tool licences up to date). I much prefer CafeTran, which imo is far superior, and the CAT tool leading the pack at the moment … in terms of being translator-centric, rather than LSP-centric.

Just one tiny example:

I did a comparative word count for a job a few days ago. Exact same file, exact same TM:

My fee, based on memoQ stats: €100
My fee, based on CafeTran stats: €128 (!) (I did a quick calculation what using memoQ/Studio would cost me per year, in lost earnings, compared to using CafeTran. and it wasn't pretty)

More or less the same applies to running the analysis in Studio.

No wonder agencies love Studio/memoQ: they make more money off of us. If an agency's translators all use e.g. memoQ or Studio, they can control them better. e.g., enforce their segmentation rules, and thus maximise leverage (another hideous LSP term). they don't care that forcing translators to use their tools will only produce garbage: they care only about maximising their ‘leverage’, and offering all kinds of idiotic fuzzy discounts.

E.g., you'd be surprised how many agencies out there currently have "Homogeneity" (aka "internal/virtual fuzzy matches" / "weighted word count") switched ON in memoQ when running analyses!

OK, rant mode off. just wanted to remind the newbies out there that there is no need to get screwed that easily. CafeTran can handle all Studio and memoQ files just fine.

Michael

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:25
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
SDL and Trados Nov 2, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:
On a side note, as far as I know, there were originally two companies:
1. Trados, with its Workbench program (Word-based) + TagEditor (grid-based), and
2. SDLX, with its SDLX program.

I have been around for quite some time, and indeed Trados was a German company that developed the first widely used tool (there were other tools before that, like IBM's Translation Manager). SDL was a translation agency and created SDLX, which was not as popular.

SDL finally bought Trados in 2005 (I mean they absorbed the whole company) and Trados kept developing its previous tools. The team then developed SDL Studio, which was launched in 2009.

Thanks for the note on Cafetran! I will certainly have a look at it.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
heard back from memoQ Support: Nov 2, 2017

Here's what they said:

"Since your DPI settings seem to be in order, I'm afraid that what you are experiencing is caused by the fact that memoQ is not fully supporting QHD and UHD resolutions. We made some adjustments with the 8.2 version so that our software can accommodate displays with higher resolutions but in some cases, this caused certain graphical user interface elements to have sizing issues. Our developers are aware of this and we are planning to release a fix fo
... See more
Here's what they said:

"Since your DPI settings seem to be in order, I'm afraid that what you are experiencing is caused by the fact that memoQ is not fully supporting QHD and UHD resolutions. We made some adjustments with the 8.2 version so that our software can accommodate displays with higher resolutions but in some cases, this caused certain graphical user interface elements to have sizing issues. Our developers are aware of this and we are planning to release a fix for the issue in the next, upcoming major version of memoQ, which is set to arrive at the end of this years November. You will be eligible to use this version, because of your active service and maintenance contract. I am terribly sorry that we couldn't be any more help to you at this moment."

So it only looks like a temporary problem!

Michael
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you! Nov 3, 2017

Thank you very much for sharing this, Michael!

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:25
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Interesting Nov 3, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Here's what they said:

"Since your DPI settings seem to be in order, I'm afraid that what you are experiencing is caused by the fact that memoQ is not fully supporting QHD and UHD resolutions. We made some adjustments with the 8.2 version so that our software can accommodate displays with higher resolutions but in some cases, this caused certain graphical user interface elements to have sizing issues. Our developers are aware of this and we are planning to release a fix for the issue in the next, upcoming major version of memoQ, which is set to arrive at the end of this years November. You will be eligible to use this version, because of your active service and maintenance contract. I am terribly sorry that we couldn't be any more help to you at this moment."

So it only looks like a temporary problem!

Michael

Thank you for the update. It's interesting. The issue is at least over one year old and they were obviously aware of it. So I would guess it's not a priority on their list.

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thx Nov 29, 2017

Many thanks for copying the response from MemoQ.

But you know what, I think my "screen wasting" problem isn't an isolated issue... See:

https://localizationlocalisation.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/memoq-ui.gif

This guy's screen space is being equally wasted by the little "comments bubble" to the right from each segment, under
... See more
Many thanks for copying the response from MemoQ.

But you know what, I think my "screen wasting" problem isn't an isolated issue... See:

https://localizationlocalisation.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/memoq-ui.gif

This guy's screen space is being equally wasted by the little "comments bubble" to the right from each segment, under the red cross symbol. This bubble is utterly pointless (in documents without comments = 99% of them, at least in my work). Is there a way to disable its displaying? I couldn't find any in the settings.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation grid wasting space + quick scroll?!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »