Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Translation grid wasting space + quick scroll?!
Thread poster: Dominic D.
Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 22:36
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Keeping up with the times Nov 1, 2017

Tomás, you are right, Studio did copy a tool in 2006, but it was one they acquired the year before (Idiom) for that purpose.
Regardless, it's been over a decade since then and Memoq has not changed a lot since. Maybe too little. The rest of the devices we use and the way we work have changed quite a bit. Shouldn't a professional tool keep up with the times?

take the time to discover how to use it properly.

I thought MemoQ was supposed to be so intuitive. Sorry, could not resist
On a serious note, I do not see what your comment above has to do with anything. I was not aware that expecting normal scrolling behavior required a learning curve.

I have noticed a pattern with these questions from beginner Memoq users: seasoned users rarely have an answer. Not sure if there are too few users of the tool to answer some beginner questions or if the software behaves so erratically that there are no definite answers...

[Editat la 2017-11-01 16:19 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:36
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
memoQ has not stopped evolving... and other replies Nov 1, 2017

Cristiana Coblis wrote:
Regardless, it's been over a decade since then and Memoq has not changed a lot since. Maybe too little.

What? If what you are saying is that memoQ still is project-based and has a translation grid, I agree. That has stayed the same. However, since my first version of memoQ in 2009 the tool has evolved dramatically and now packs a host of features that maky my work so much more productive. Added to that, Kilgray have developed memoQ-based online solutions that help translators and agencies. memoQ Server is far more reliable and fast today than in 2009 and allows small agencies to keep great workflows easily.

Now please indulge me: In what way is SDL Studio more "up with the times" than memoQ? What other tools have? What kind of things should a CAT tool do in order to tick your up-with-the-times box?

Cristiana Coblis wrote:
On a serious note, I do not see what your comment above has to do with anything. I was not aware that expecting normal scrolling behavior required a learning curve.

My comment was exactly geared at the OP's stance that memoQ was crappy. I think it was a completely unfounded statement, if only because there are so many professional translators and agencies using memoQ today as their main tool and are very productive indeed.

Cristiana Coblis wrote:
I have noticed a pattern with these questions from beginner Memoq users: seasoned users rarely have an answer. Not sure if there are too few users of the tool to answer some beginner questions or if the software behaves so erratically that there are no definite answers...

A) I think the memoQ community as a whole is very prone to answer questions. Simply look at this forum. B) memoQ is one of the most successful CAT tools. Kilgray's large development, support and sales team proves it. Some CAT tool developers have much smaller teams (even teams of 1 person!). C) If memoQ behaved erratically, those of us who use it would simply find an alternative. People who changed from Trados to memoQ did so out of insatisfaction with Trados or other tools, and I daresay Kilgray has a rather loyal customer base, and not because we are dumb and stubborn and insist on using crappy tools, but because we want tools that help us do our work fast and well.

[Edited at 2017-11-01 16:58 GMT]

Cristiana Coblis
Romania
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
We are talking about two different things Nov 1, 2017

You are talking about the server or project manager version, I am talking about the regular translator pro version, which has not received a lot of attention in the last few years.

In the version I am paying for, because I am also a client, even if I do not have these stars in my eyes, the most useful improvement I have seen for my productivity in the last 2-3 years has been the fix to how differences are displayed for fuzzy matches. Not sure if it was worth the very long wait...... See more
You are talking about the server or project manager version, I am talking about the regular translator pro version, which has not received a lot of attention in the last few years.

In the version I am paying for, because I am also a client, even if I do not have these stars in my eyes, the most useful improvement I have seen for my productivity in the last 2-3 years has been the fix to how differences are displayed for fuzzy matches. Not sure if it was worth the very long wait...

I'm happy for you that you are satisfied with your version, but the version I pay for is far from ideal and frankly, seems neglected and outdated.
Collapse

Alex Tsybulski

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same version! Nov 1, 2017

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

But I use the same version (Translator Pro) daily (yes, I have a Server, but what I use for translation is Translator Pro)!

Some improvements from 2015 onwards that come to mind: Muses, Match Patch (not even Match Patch!?), Predictive Typing and Autopick, project templaces, customisation of the ribbon, customisation of hotkeys, tracked changes in source and target, Regex-based filtering of the grid, Run QA improvements, Language Terminal... None of these improvements help you in your work? Not even Match Patch, which saves me a lot of time daily?

Cristiana Coblis
Romania
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Aren't most these at least 2 years old? Nov 1, 2017

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

But I use the same version (Translator Pro) daily (yes, I have a Server, but what I use for translation is Translator Pro)!

Some improvements from 2015 onwards that come to mind: Muses, Match Patch (not even Match Patch!?), Predictive Typing and Autopick, project templaces, customisation of the ribbon, customisation of hotkeys, tracked changes in source and target, Regex-based filtering of the grid, Run QA improvements, Language Terminal... None of these improvements help you in your work? Not even Match Patch, which saves me a lot of time daily?

I think most of these are available at least since 2015, aren't they?
Speaking of Match Patch - what a waste of a great idea, that is so limited in MemoQ compared to other tools. I would have thought at least this one deserved a little attention is the newer versions, seeing how far others have taken it.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I took you wrong Nov 1, 2017

Cristiana Coblis wrote:
I think most of these are available at least since 2015, aren't they?

Oh so you meant you wanted a full revolution in memoQ every year. Should have said it from the beginning!

Please indulge me: What other tools have seen a revolution every year? Going back to the old discussion about SDL Studio: is Studio 2017 any different from 2011, 2014, or 2015?

My previous question is still open: What tools have been developed to be "up to the times" in your opinion? I am always keen to learn about new and revolutionary tools.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
funny glitching Nov 1, 2017

So, what about dpi, custom fonts, and--as noted--special/hidden chars? Also preparing a source via other tools often makes it harder to process the document, alas.

Cristiana Coblis
Romania
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Different expectations Nov 1, 2017

It's not about "revolution", it's about improving and streamlining the tool. And it does need it.
So you got me right, but we seem to have different expectations.
And yes, other tools continued to improve existing features and add interesting improvements, otherwise people would not pay to upgrade.
But I get it, there are some users that are happy with what they get. They are very lucky to have such easygoing clients that are more than happy to pay them a fee year after year fo
... See more
It's not about "revolution", it's about improving and streamlining the tool. And it does need it.
So you got me right, but we seem to have different expectations.
And yes, other tools continued to improve existing features and add interesting improvements, otherwise people would not pay to upgrade.
But I get it, there are some users that are happy with what they get. They are very lucky to have such easygoing clients that are more than happy to pay them a fee year after year for the same good old thing.
The good news is that they will not be able to continue to milk these old features for much longer, so we might see some improvements soon.
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Facts, please! Nov 1, 2017

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

Sorry, but this is very vague indeed. Please provide examples of tools you consider to be "up to the times" and much better than memoQ and for what reasons!

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:36
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
oversized, fuzzy icons in 8.2, causing grid to be stretched 3 times too far in vertical direction Nov 1, 2017

Temporarily back the original topic: I just renewed my support & maintenance agreement, so I could have a look at 8.2, but immediately noticed what the OP is talking about:

There is a TON of wasted space on my screen. See screenshot below.

Also, the comment speech bubbles and tick mark icons are grossly oversized and fuzzy. Because the grid is locked to the size of these ridiculous icons, it is being stretched three times too high, thus wasting a hell of a lot of spac
... See more
Temporarily back the original topic: I just renewed my support & maintenance agreement, so I could have a look at 8.2, but immediately noticed what the OP is talking about:

There is a TON of wasted space on my screen. See screenshot below.

Also, the comment speech bubbles and tick mark icons are grossly oversized and fuzzy. Because the grid is locked to the size of these ridiculous icons, it is being stretched three times too high, thus wasting a hell of a lot of space.

I will report this to Support. This can't be normal, surely?

Michael

wasted space in memoQ 8.2

larger version of screenshot @ http://beijer.uk/screenshots/wasted-space-in-memoQ-8.2-grid.PNG

[Edited at 2017-11-01 19:51 GMT]
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can't be normal Nov 1, 2017

Indeed, the icons seem to be enormous for the resolution you are using. Must be wrong!

Cristiana Coblis
Romania
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Would it matter? Nov 1, 2017

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

Sorry, but this is very vague indeed. Please provide examples of tools you consider to be "up to the times" and much better than memoQ and for what reasons!

I do not get this argument. What exactly is the logic beyond simple preference?
Even if other tools would remain completely unchanged, their users would not pay a dime. MemoQ users would still pay an yearly fee for trivial tweaks and apparently some new bugs.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
There is a point Nov 1, 2017

Cristiana Coblis wrote:
I do not get this argument. What exactly is the logic beyond simple preference?

I just thought you'd be willing to provide examples of other tools that are much better than memoQ. If you prefer other tools and feel that memoQ slows you down, there must be compelling reasons which should be easy to share.

As for the yearly maintenance fee, I pay it very happily: for roughly 50 cents per working day, I am about 30% more productive than with any other tool I have tried, and enjoy a very good support and access to all developments. Those are my main reasons to have memoQ as my main tool.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wrong - First Studio in 2009 Nov 1, 2017

Ekhangel wrote:
"My sources" tell me that Trados released its "Translator's Workbench" in 1994. Studio, its continuator, was released in 2005, according to Wikipedia.

Sorry, but Studio is not the old Trados, but a completely new product. According to SDL, the first version of Studio came in 2009, i.e. 3 years after the first memoQ (I was confused when I mentioned 2007; that was version 8.0 of the old Trados). You can read the whole story here: http://www.sdltrados.com/about/history.html

(The Wikipedia in English does not mention 2005 as the date of release of Studio.)

Cristiana Coblis
Romania
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
You would still be able to use the free license Nov 1, 2017

Ekhangel wrote:
I'm still hesitating if I want to deal with MemoQ or not. The problem is - dropping it would cost me collaboration with an agency that's been giving me more and more assignments recently - along with a free server license.

In that case, you can continue to work with the agency without having to pay for your own license, as long as they continue to offer you the free license. These ELM licenses are fully functional for specific projects.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation grid wasting space + quick scroll?!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »