Thread poster: Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:41
German to English
+ ...
Apr 14, 2016

I'm having this problem the whole time now. The suggestions from the termbank appear as I hit the first letter of the word I type but disappear as soon as I hit the second. This is a big problem as I type relatively quickly. And it's very annoying.

This happens in memoQ 2015 as well as memoQ 2014 R2 (I haven't tried older versions)

Is there some setting I can change to stop this happening? Has anyone got any ideas why it is happening?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:41
English to Russian
What behavior you want killed? Apr 15, 2016

If you want to stop suggesting, disable predictive typing.

If you want to stop disappering, type correct letters. It disappers when you type a second letter which is different form the second letter in the term, doesn't it?
If you can't help typing wrong second/third/... letter because of your fast typing skill, try to set this value to 2/3/... (Number of characters typed before showing a suggestion...).

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem is not my typing ;-) Apr 15, 2016

Sorry, I should have been clearer. When I type the first letter of the word, the predictive typing offers suggestions from the termbase (for example) but as soon as I type the second CORRECT letter of the word, all suggestions disappear and won't come back. And I no longer have the option to hit enter and accept the term.

Clearly, I can continue typing the entire word out in full, but this defeats the time-saving benefits of predictive typing. Especially if the term is a very long o
... See more
Sorry, I should have been clearer. When I type the first letter of the word, the predictive typing offers suggestions from the termbase (for example) but as soon as I type the second CORRECT letter of the word, all suggestions disappear and won't come back. And I no longer have the option to hit enter and accept the term.

Clearly, I can continue typing the entire word out in full, but this defeats the time-saving benefits of predictive typing. Especially if the term is a very long one.

So, to clarify. The "behaviour I want killed" is that I want the suggestions to stop disappearing before I have a chance to accept them.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Yes, this is definitely wierd... Apr 15, 2016

I use older version 2013. So I can't add anything useful about 2014 or 2015. Sorry.

hhgygy
hhgygy
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Predictive typing settings Apr 16, 2016

Nick Quaintmere wrote:

Clearly, I can continue typing the entire word out in full, but this defeats the time-saving benefits of predictive typing. Especially if the term is a very long one.

So, to clarify. The "behaviour I want killed" is that I want the suggestions to stop disappearing before I have a chance to accept them.

I'm not sure I understand you completely but I think you should set predictive typing to suggest words after at least 2 typed characters, maybe this setting has been reset to 1 character. It can be set in Translation Settings, Predictive Typing.

[Edited at 2016-04-16 11:26 GMT]

Zaza Peel

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
I have the same problem. Apr 17, 2016

I am rather new to memoq and just found some time to try such features. I am facing the same problem.

After reading this post, I checked the settings. I have that value set to 3 letters. Plus, if I type false letters or hit the spacebar key by mistake, the list disappears and I can't get it back for that segment again.

I was thinking (and I still am) that because I still have a lot to discover in memoq, I am missing some basic points. So I decided to devote more time
... See more
I am rather new to memoq and just found some time to try such features. I am facing the same problem.

After reading this post, I checked the settings. I have that value set to 3 letters. Plus, if I type false letters or hit the spacebar key by mistake, the list disappears and I can't get it back for that segment again.

I was thinking (and I still am) that because I still have a lot to discover in memoq, I am missing some basic points. So I decided to devote more time before I ask for support. But I replied this post to tell that there is at least one more person with the same problem

Elif

[Edited at 2016-04-17 13:11 GMT]
Collapse

Zaza Peel

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
I'm quite satisfied about Predictive/Auto Pick function Apr 18, 2016

I'm quite new at memoQ, but allover I think it's great.
I Like Predictive function. I set it at 2.
But, I'm having another type of problem. In Autopick, I press the Ctrl key, but I don't get automatically the upper case words.

Do you know if there is something I should select or not?

For Predictive, do you include LSC ?
And as Muse / All other suggestions what number do you use?

Lucia

Zaza Peel
Zaza Peel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:41
Italian to English
+ ...
Predictive typing doesn't work for me either. Same exact problem that Nick describes. Jul 5, 2018

[quote]Nick Quaintmere wrote:

I'm having this problem the whole time now. The suggestions from the termbank appear as I hit the first letter of the word I type but disappear as soon as I hit the second. This is a big problem as I type relatively quickly. And it's very annoying.

Hi Nick
I am having exactly the same problem and would appreciate any help in solving it. The predictive typing, auto suggest, none of this is useful since the suggestions only flash for one second and are no longer available after typing the 2nd CORRECT letter.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:41
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
This has been happening for a year Jul 6, 2018

The problem you describe has been there for at least a year.

Either they don't care to fix it or they have not been told about it. They seem to be unable to spot any bugs on their own, proactively, and without users sending them backups of their sensitive projects.

But, hey, they will release "hey memoq" soon! Their main focus these days seems to be on creating buzz on the 'interwebs'.

[Edited at 2018-07-06 15:07 GMT]

mulanmagnolia
mulanmagnolia
Canada
Local time: 02:41
Japanese to English
Try disabling Tag Insertion Dec 18, 2018

I had the same problem, but when I disabled Tag Insertion (F6), it worked. Good luck!

Mustafa Alper FAKILI

Mustafa Alper FAKILI
Mustafa Alper FAKILI  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Turkish to English
+ ...
problem solved, thanks Mar 15, 2019

mulanmagnolia wrote:

I had the same problem, but when I disabled Tag Insertion (F6), it worked. Good luck!

I tried, this is the solution, thanks I guess I pressed f6 by mistake at some point.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Predictive typing not working properly

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »